RE: [Scouter_T] Youth Protection

  • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 28, 2002
      > Does anyone know if there is anything in
      >the BSA policies that states how often a person should receive Youth
      >Protection training?

      Our council is every three years

      **********
      Now more than ever -
      America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
      **********
      Rick Rambo
      e-mail: rickram.geo@...
      FAX: (561) 673-0437
      http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
      http://immanuel.faithweb.com/

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1, 2002
        In a message dated 3/1/02 8:35:37 PM, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<
        Is youth protection training necessary to be considered a trained
        leader? >>

        Alas, not required for basic trained status. However, it is required for most
        of the training awards. The BSA will not, yet, require this training for all
        leaders and enforce same by barring you from the charter if you don't take it
        within, say, 6-12 mos of signing on. Someday they might...I hope.

        YiS
        Auntie Beans
        Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
        Training Committee Chair
        NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
        Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
        I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
      • Cstrek97@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 2, 2002
          In the group of adults I circulate with in Scouting, the comment came up,
          that National probably will not ever require Youth Protection as mandatory.

          The reason? Because if they made it mandatory, and then all people did take
          it, then National will become responsible and accountable for any bad
          incidents that happen following the time they make it mandatory.

          Just a thought.

        • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 3, 2002
            But you can argue just as easily that BSA's failure to make Youth Protection
            training mandatory is negligent when BSA knows how serious of an issue it
            is, adopts [bold on] policies [bold off] about it, doesn't require its
            leaders to learn about them, but expects leaders to follow them. (a lawyer
            can make an argument out of anything)

            Anyway, if a Scouter ignores BSA policies on health and safety, including
            YP, and someone gets hurt, the Scouter could be facing individual liability.
            That's why I think it's important for all leaders to get as much YP/health
            and safety training as possible: it's easier to prevent problems than to
            solve them.

            Larry Ohs
            Arborland District Training Committee
            Cornhusker Council Youth Protection Lead Trainer
            "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 3, 2002
              I am a trainer in the Transatlantic Council, Mayflower District. My family
              is military, living overseas. While we have the advantage of a Scout Hut
              and a few other things we are also REQUIRED by the base we are attached to
              have Youth Protection. It also must be renewed EVERY year. That is not a
              BSA rule it is our particular base rule. While this can be difficult at
              times, with deployments, long hours, etc. I feel that this has made our
              leaders much better prepared to handle our boys. Yes, it takes about an
              hour and a half out of already busy schedules, but isn't the protection of
              our youth worth it?

              Connie Rouse
              Certified Trainer
              Mayflower District

              > In the group of adults I circulate with in Scouting, the comment came up,
              > that National probably will not ever require Youth Protection as
              mandatory.

              > The reason? Because if they made it mandatory, and then all people did
              take
              > it, then National will become responsible and accountable for any bad
              > incidents that happen following the time they make it mandatory.
              >
              > Just a thought.

            • Dave Loomis
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 3, 2002
                And Mayflower district is where?

                Sounds as if it might be England, my favorite place, having been
                stationed at Bentwaters and Mildenhall.

                Dave

                M&C Rouse wrote:

                > I am a trainer in the Transatlantic Council, Mayflower District. My family
                > is military, living overseas.
                >
                > Connie Rouse
                > Certified Trainer
                > Mayflower District

                Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                1094 Woodbury Ave. (603) 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
              • M&C Rouse
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 3, 2002
                  Mayflower District actually covers all of the UK. We are currently
                  stationed RAF Lakenheath.

                  Connie

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 3, 2002
                    Neat. I used to life on the Chantyr Estate on Croxton Road in Thetford,
                    while I was with the 513th ALCE, at Mildenhall.

                    I enjoyed England, although I never got into Scouting over there. I was
                    too busy with TDYs, a second job, and trying to complete a degree. Mobile
                    ALCEs by their very nature do most of their work on other bases, so when I
                    wasn't across the base near the 5th MAPS, I was neat places like Turkey,
                    Sardinia, Greece, Germany, Aviano, Denmark or Norway. I saw a lot of places
                    but never made much money doing it.

                    Dave

                    M&C Rouse wrote:

                    > Mayflower District actually covers all of the UK. We are currently
                    > stationed RAF Lakenheath.
                    >
                    > Connie

                    Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                    1094 Woodbury Ave. (603) 431 5342
                    Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
                  • Lina
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4, 2002
                      > > * Took YPT Trainer Certification, as did his staff
                      - I probably have the name of the course wrong, but
                      it's not the same as YPT, it's how to teach YPT. < <

                      I may be showing my ignorance, but after eight years
                      of
                      presenting YPT in my district this is the first time
                      I've heard that there is a course for YPT Trainer
                      certification. But knowing my district/council that
                      may not be so unusual after all. 8^)

                      Please inform me:
                      Is this a BSA course? Syllabus/literature catalog
                      number?
                      Is it a council/district designed course? Is a
                      syllabus available?

                      Any information you can give me would be most helpful.
                      I've always felt that this particular course should
                      have some info or training on how to conduct it. Thank
                      you muchly.

                      =====
                      YIS,
                      Lina Fryckman
                      Santa Maria Valley District, Los Padres Council, CA

                      "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,
                      the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world
                      may be different, because I was important in the life of a boy."

                      http://sports.yahoo.com
                    • Ken Todd
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 6, 2002
                        BSA does not mandate Youth Protection Training for all Leaders, but
                        they do require the training within 2 years to attend certain national
                        events like the National Jamboree. They also require the training to
                        earn training awards. Our Council requires Youth Protection training
                        within 2 years to earn a degree at University of Scouting.

                        Units can also require that all leaders complete Youth Protection or
                        other Training courses to continue in their current positions.

                        Yours in Scouting,
                        Ken Todd, Dist Training Chairman
                        NE-CS-59 Beaver

                        But you can argue just as easily that BSA's failure to make Youth
                        Protectiontraining mandatory ....

                        Larry Ohs

                        http://mail.yahoo.com/
                      • nsmith1105
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 6, 2002
                          --- In scouter_t@y..., Lina <graybeaver731@y...> wrote:
                          > I may be showing my ignorance, but after eight years
                          > of
                          > presenting YPT in my district this is the first time
                          > I've heard that there is a course for YPT Trainer
                          > certification. But knowing my district/council that
                          > may not be so unusual after all. 8^)
                          >
                          > Please inform me:
                          > Is this a BSA course? Syllabus/literature catalog
                          > number?
                          > Is it a council/district designed course? Is a
                          > syllabus available?

                          Well, as I said in my post, I am not directly involved in teaching
                          YPT. I know about the YPT Trainer certification that was offered a
                          few years ago in SHAC's University of Scouting primarily because my
                          wife took the course. (Aside: I checked SHAC's web page for a list
                          of classes from this year's UofS, and found they did not offer the
                          instructor course this year, although they did offer standard YPT.)

                          Between my lack of direct experience, and the fact that all of my
                          paper resources are in boxes in storage somewhere, I decided to
                          consult someone that knows more about this than I do. I asked my
                          previous district's YPT chair about this training, and here's what he
                          had to say:

                          -------------------
                          Neal,
                          I checked out the files I had on this subject and I think that the
                          Instructor training for YPT may have been a SHAC requirement. The
                          syllabus
                          was designed by Chad Greer of SHAC and the Council Youth Protection
                          Committee of SHAC. At any rate, I have placed a call to Mr. Greer
                          asking
                          him the question if this is a "home grown" training or a National
                          requirement. At this time I have not heard back from him. Youth
                          Protection
                          is not under his area any more, but I would think he could shed some
                          light
                          on this since he was involved when the local program for presenters
                          was
                          developed.
                          I do have a copy of the outline we followed when we trained
                          instructors. I
                          would be happy to send it to you if you are interested.
                          I will let you know when I find out more.

                          Francis
                          -------------

                          I hope this helps - I know that I have learned something new! If he
                          finds out more, I'll be only too happy to pass it along to the list.

                          YiS,
                          Neal Smith
                        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 7, 2002
                            Hi,
                            My council (Morris Sussex Area Council - since merged into
                            Patriots' Path Council) had a "Youth Protection Training
                            Facilitator" course for those who would be doing the YP training.
                            I seem to remember it being a 'common sense' training. How
                            to present the program, what to do if you don't have the answer
                            to a question, and so on........
                            I know it's been held a number of times since I took it
                            years ago, but I don't know how often or if they still offer it.

                            Pete Mullaney

                            > --- In scouter_t@y..., Lina <graybeaver731@y...> wrote:
                            > > I may be showing my ignorance, but after eight years
                            > > of
                            > > presenting YPT in my district this is the first time
                            > > I've heard that there is a course for YPT Trainer
                            > > certification. But knowing my district/council that
                            > > may not be so unusual after all. 8^)
                            > >
                            > > Please inform me:
                            > > Is this a BSA course? Syllabus/literature catalog
                            > > number?
                            > > Is it a council/district designed course? Is a
                            > > syllabus available?

                          • emb021
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 7, 2002
                              --- In scouter_t@y..., Ken Todd <krtodd@r...> wrote:
                              > BSA does not mandate Youth Protection Training for all Leaders, but
                              > they do require the training within 2 years to attend certain
                              national
                              > events like the National Jamboree.

                              Uh, not quite. One of the problems is that while they require you to
                              have taken YPT, its not clear when it should have last been taken. At
                              the last Jamboree, they just said 'current YPT'. I kept asking how
                              recent, and was told within 3 years of the Jamboree. Since mine was
                              last taken a couple of months past that point, I had to retake. For
                              NOAC we need YPT, but again, its not clear when it has to have last
                              been taken.

                              I'm not opposed to requiring YPT being kept current and required for
                              certain events. I'd just like it made clear when it has to have been
                              taken last and be set to a resonable time period (ie 2-3 years.

                              Michael Brown
                              SW Florida Council
                            • Lina
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 7, 2002
                                > > I do have a copy of the outline we followed when
                                we
                                trained instructors. I would be happy to send it to
                                you if you are interested. I will let you know when I
                                find out more.
                                Francis < <

                                > > I hope this helps - I know that I have learned
                                something new! If he finds out more, I'll be only too
                                happy to pass it along to the list.
                                Neal Smith < <

                                Neal --

                                Thank you so much for checking into this. I would
                                appreciate any info you can pass on to us.

                                As important as YPT is, I have always been disturbed
                                that there is no training of instructors. Besides
                                having moderated m-a-n-y YPT courses, I have attended
                                many moderated by other instructors. It has always
                                bothered me that even with the film the same
                                information is not getting out to our Scouters from
                                every moderator. We train our instructors for all
                                other training courses in order to have consistency in
                                the program. Why haven't we trained our YPT
                                moderators?

                                This is certainly something I intend to act on.

                                =====

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 7, 2002
                                  Just looked at the course schedule for our last POW-WOW (Nov 2001)
                                  and the facilitator course was on the agenda, so I guess the council
                                  is still using it.

                                  Pete

                                  > Hi,
                                  > My council (Morris Sussex Area Council - since merged into
                                  > Patriots' Path Council) had a "Youth Protection Training
                                  > Facilitator" course for those who would be doing the YP training.
                                  > I seem to remember it being a 'common sense' training. How
                                  > to present the program, what to do if you don't have the answer
                                  > to a question, and so on........
                                  > I know it's been held a number of times since I took it
                                  > years ago, but I don't know how often or if they still offer it.
                                  >
                                  > Pete Mullaney

                                • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 7, 2002
                                    Interesting, I was on Trading Post staff and the info I got
                                    was that YPT had to have been within the last TWO years. They
                                    offered it on location (at least at Trading Post C) for those
                                    who didn't meet the requirements.

                                    Pete Mullaney

                                    > ----------
                                    > From: emb021
                                    > Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: Youth Protection
                                    >
                                    > --- In scouter_t@y..., Ken Todd <krtodd@r...> wrote:
                                    > > BSA does not mandate Youth Protection Training for all Leaders, but
                                    > > they do require the training within 2 years to attend certain
                                    > national
                                    > > events like the National Jamboree.
                                    >
                                    > Uh, not quite. One of the problems is that while they require you to
                                    > have taken YPT, its not clear when it should have last been taken. At
                                    > the last Jamboree, they just said 'current YPT'. I kept asking how
                                    > recent, and was told within 3 years of the Jamboree. Since mine was
                                    > last taken a couple of months past that point, I had to retake. For
                                    > NOAC we need YPT, but again, its not clear when it has to have last
                                    > been taken.
                                    >
                                    > I'm not opposed to requiring YPT being kept current and required for
                                    > certain events. I'd just like it made clear when it has to have been
                                    > taken last and be set to a resonable time period (ie 2-3 years.
                                    >
                                    > Michael Brown
                                    > SW Florida Council

                                  • Michael Dotson
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 19, 2010
                                      We teach in YP that an adult is to never be alone with a youth. However, when, if ever, is it acceptable for an adult to drive a (single) scout to an event so long as the adult has the permission of the scout's parents? Or what about an emergency? Related, is there an age limit, that is, what if the scout is 17 and the adult is 18?

                                      Michael

                                    • Ben Ward
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 19, 2010

                                        Ben Ward

                                        Eagle Scout Class 1999
                                        Heart of Virginia Council # 602

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 19, 2010
                                          Parental permission not withstanding, adults are supposed to avoid one on one situations.  The BSA standard position is one which protects both the youth and the adult.

                                          That said, if I was faced with the choice of driving a lad because he otherwise could not come, I'd first try to find a way to accomplish both goals, no one on one AND securing attendance.

                                          Best solution is arrange for someone transporting another scout or for two adults to pick him up.

                                          If that were not possible, and I'm certain some may gasp, I'd likely bite my lip and transport
                                          the lad rather than call him a cab.  Using a cab would still put him one on
                                          one, albeit with a total stranger.  I canna convince myself that is a
                                          better solution, and telling him sorry, you should of let us know earlier, but hey, we'll bring you back some pictures likewise is not the better course of action..

                                          But whadda I know.

                                        • Staci Kilpatrick
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 19, 2010
                                            The few times I have been forced to take a child home from an event, I either ensure that there is another person (child or adult) in the car with me OR I put the single child on a cell phone call to their parent until I get there (this ensures that I have a short trip.

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 20, 2010
                                              As absurd as it may seem under some situations (friends for life, one now 18
                                              and one just 16 or 17), the BSA standard is no one-on-one contact. So it
                                              seems pretty clear that you would simply not be alone with a youth. This
                                              BSA standard is one that is designed to protect both the youth and the
                                              adult. That is the way I was trained, and the way I train others.

                                              I know that in a life or death emergency, I would drive anyone to the
                                              nearest hospital or whatever. But in an "emergency" of no viable
                                              transportation, I would find a way to include another adult or multiple
                                              youths into the situation.

                                              Yours in Scouting,

                                              Brian J. Duane

                                              Cubmaster - Pack 105, Pembroke MA

                                              Assistant Scoutmaster - Troop 43, Pembroke, MA

                                              District Activities Chairman - Cranberry Harbors, Old Colony Council

                                              District Training Team - Cranberry Harbors, Old Colony Council

                                              "...I'm going to work my ticket if I can" - Bobwhite NE-1-261

                                              "Never do for a Scout what he can do for himself."
                                              Robert Baden-Powell

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                                                Age limit is 18 for all programs but Venturing where the age limit is 21.

                                                An 18 year old is considered an adult in the Boy Scouting program, he cannot take a 17 year Scout someplace alone.

                                                Two registered adult leaders, or one registered leader and a parent of a participating Scout or other adult, one of whom must be at least 21 years of age or older, are required for all trips or outings. There are a few instances, such as patrol activities, when no adult leadership is required. Coed overnight activities, even those including parent and child, require male and female adult leaders, both of whom must be 21 years of age or older, and one of whom must be a registered member of the BSA.

                                                You cannot transport someone else's kid alone in the car with you.

                                                In an emergency you try your best to follow the rules, but emergencies are emergencies.

                                                See the Guide to Safe Scouting:
                                                http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss01.aspx