youth protection

  • Rod Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2002
      Is youth protection training necessary to be considered a trained
      leader?

      Rod Smith

    • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2002
        No, you don't have to have Youth Protection to earn the "Trained" patch, but
        I think it should be required before you are considered a trained leader.
        Under BSA rules you are not eligible for most leader awards unless you have
        youth protection training. Also, some summer camps and I think all BSA high
        adventure bases require all adults to produce a youth protection trained
        card not more than two years old before you go on the activity. Councils
        generally require YP training every 2 - 3 years in my experience. My troop
        requires all adults attending summer camp to have YP training. We offer it
        for all parents during a troop meeting every spring and particularly
        encourage parents of new Scouts to attend it. With the new training
        continuum where it is not part of basic training, our Council will be
        offering YP training every month plus each district will offer it once a
        year at Roundtable. We probably would also have a trainer go to a unit that
        wants it presented for leaders and parents if they can't make to the
        scheduled training.

        Larry Ohs
        Arborland District Training Committee
        Cornhusker Council Youth Protection Lead Trainer
        "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
          In order to be considered a Trained leader in our council you must have taken
          three different parts of training, NLE, PST, and Youth Protection. We also
          suggest that Youth Protection be taken every two years. On occasion, we
          offer YPT at roundtable. We are in the process of training Pack Trainers so
          that each unit can offer Youth Protection each year.

          YiS

          Teri Stoel
          Hiawatha District Cub Trainer Coordinator
          Tiger Den Leader
          Webelos Asst. Den Leader
          Training/Advancement Chair
          Pack 43-Tioga Hills
          Hiawatha District, Baden Powell Council
          Apalachin, NY
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
            Just curious - I am a Youth Protection Training facilitator and
            I ran a session for a friend's troop and pack leaders this past
            Monday. When I put the tape in I was surprised, it was a newer
            video. At the end they direct you to the full version program.
            I looked at the tape and it's listed as : AV-09V010, Youth
            Protection Guidelines for Volunteer Leaders and Parents for
            Basic Training. Did they give me the wrong tape? All 8 people
            at the training have experienced the 'full' version in the past
            and I thought this tape was as informative so I had no qualms
            about signing their training cards.
            Is this supposed to be a tape for NLE?

            Pete Mullaney
          • ClayConver@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
              In a message dated 1/3/02 10:01:19, mullaney@... writes:

              << Just curious - I am a Youth Protection Training facilitator and
              I ran a session for a friend's troop and pack leaders this past
              Monday. When I put the tape in I was surprised, it was a newer
              video. At the end they direct you to the full version program.
              I looked at the tape and it's listed as : AV-09V010, Youth
              Protection Guidelines for Volunteer Leaders and Parents for
              Basic Training. Did they give me the wrong tape? All 8 people
              at the training have experienced the 'full' version in the past
              and I thought this tape was as informative so I had no qualms
              about signing their training cards.
              Is this supposed to be a tape for NLE?

              Pete Mullaney

              The tape you used was issued for use with the older series of training's, and
              was included in the syllabus. The new syllabus does not include this tape.

              I, like your participants, find the shorter tape to be as informative as the
              one hour version, it seems to include the essentials without a lot of chit
              chat. I am not sure using it is an option with the new training materials.

              Clay Converse
              Chenango District, Baden Powell Council, Binghamton, NY
            • E S Meyers
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
                The official Boy Scouts of America policy is NO.

                New Leader Essentials and Position Specific Training is required for all.
                Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills is also required for Scoutmasters and Asst
                Scoutmasters.

                That is contained in the training syllabi that were distributed last year.
                Youth Protection training is totally separate from leader training.
                Many states mandate youth protection training for all youth leaders, scouts
                or not.

                Steve Meyers
                Pellissippi District Training chair

                At 09:51 PM 2/28/02 -0500, you wrote:
                >Is youth protection training necessary to be considered a trained
                >leader?
                >
                >Rod Smith

                >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

              • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
                  I need to draw on the vast experience and knowledge of the List.

                  Our Council training team has assigned specific individuals to oversee BS leader training, CS leader training, and YP training. After doing YP training for four years, I have accepted the new designation of Youth Protection Lead Trainer for my council. I am to make sure our YP trainers present a minimum level of standardized information but it also includes recruiting YP trainers, training them, setting YP training dates and generally supervising YP trainers. Does anyone out there have similar or analogous positions on their training team? What else might I be overlooking that I should be doing?

                  We handout a copy of the G2SS chapter on Youth Protection and Adult Leadership and a two page handout I designed which contains local laws/phone numbers. I used to use the shorter tape that Pete Mullaney asked about earlier today which was from the old Basic Training Program and YP refresher training. The Council now says we must use the 80 minute that was done in the 1980s, I believe, even though the handouts and training guides have long since been lost. I too think the shorter tape covered the material adequately but it's not my call.

                  I'm wondering what other trainers are doing. I visited a nearby council and they are going strictly to the new Venturing YP tape for all their trainings at all levels of leaders. I do like that new Venturing tape and would like to use it. Anyone else doing that?

                  The March-April 2002 Scouting Magazine has an article on April being YP Month again this year. It tells that New Jersey's Patriot's Path Council has formulated and produced its own comprehensive YP training packets (one for Scouts, one for adults) covering a broad spectrum of potential dangers. It sounds like a great program. Is anyone from that Council on the list I could talk with?

                  Please contact me off the list with any information or advice you might have to share. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel as my R&D budget on this project is self-funded. I'll be glad to share my revised program with the list after my Council approves it.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
                    Larry,
                    As it happens I am from Patriots' Path Council. Haven't read
                    the article yet. As it happens I haven't turned in my extra
                    handouts yet, if you'd like a copy, including our 'script' send
                    me a note off list at:
                    mullaney@...
                    or
                    mullaney53@...

                    My council (and actually one of its predecessors - Morris Sussex
                    Area Council) was in the forefront in the Youth Protection Area.
                    I was trained to give the program for adults, not sure about the
                    difference to the one for scouts.

                    Pete Mullaney

                    > The March-April 2002 Scouting Magazine has an article on April being YP
                    > Month again this year. It tells that New Jersey's Patriot's Path Council
                    > has formulated and produced its own comprehensive YP training packets (one
                    > for Scouts, one for adults) covering a broad spectrum of potential
                    > dangers. It sounds like a great program. Is anyone from that Council on
                    > the list I could talk with?
                    >
                    > Please contact me off the list with any information or advice you might
                    > have to share. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel as my R&D budget on this
                    > project is self-funded. I'll be glad to share my revised program with the
                    > list after my Council approves it.
                    >
                    > Larry Ohs
                    > Arborland District Training Committee
                    > Cornhusker Council Youth Protection Lead Trainer
                    > "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

                  • nsmith1105
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
                      Larry,

                      In Tatanka District, Sam Houston Area Council, we've had a person
                      in the position of YPT Chair for the district for as long as I've been
                      there. He did the following things:

                      * Recruited any staff he needed (just one person other than him, most
                      of the time, as that's all he needed)
                      * Took YPT Trainer Certification, as did his staff - I probably have
                      the name of the course wrong, but it's not the same as YPT, it's how
                      to teach YPT
                      * Arranged for YPT to be offered at all Cub Scout and Boy Scout Basic
                      Trainings, and the Venturing to be offered at Venturing trainings
                      * Also presented YPT at Day Camp leaders' training every year
                      * At some Roundtables (every 2-3) offered YPT so that people could
                      renew their training
                      * Offered YPT at units when requested, or at other times and places
                      occasionally (camporee sometimes, for instance)
                      * Made the youth tapes (It happenned to me, and the older one) and
                      discussion guides availabe to units who wanted to use them
                      * Passed out literature to go with YPT at the trainings
                      * Kept records of who had received YPT training in the district

                      SHAC, sometime back, worked with some child protection group in
                      the area (Child Welfare? I don't remember, and don't have it in front
                      of me). They were given handouts that supplemented YPT, and these
                      great pins with a teddy bear on them, that were given out the first
                      time someone finished YPT. They stopped this sometime back, but
                      Frances (YPT Chair) kept giving them out until he ran out.

                      Anyway, that was the YPT position in our district.

                      Yours In Scouting,
                      Neal Smith

                      --- In scouter_t@y..., "Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law" <lohs@i...>
                      wrote:
                      > I'm wondering what other (YPT) trainers are doing.
                    • donna_ragusa
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                        Hi Everyone-

                        Is there a 5-year policy in youth protection where scouts cannot bunk
                        with other scouts 5 years younger because of possiblity of abuse by
                        the older boy? I thought I remember this being part of the YPT leader
                        training. Also, isn't there a clear policy where boy scouts cannot
                        bunk with webelos for the same reason? Have a friend in a troop whose
                        leadership can't seem to use common sense and they have a problem with
                        older boys abusing and hazing (although they don't call it hazing,
                        just boys having fun).

                        Thank you,

                        Donna Ragusa
                        Cub Training Co-ordinator
                        4Rivers, WPCBSA
                      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                          Donna - I think what you're remembering is the section on youth on youth abuse, that states there is a larger probability of abuse when there's more than a three year age difference. While the materials mention that, there is no policy that sets out what ages of Scouts may share a tent with others (other than the non-related adult rule).

                          My question for this unit is why this is happening? Boys should naturally be bunking with friends. I don't know many 16 year olds who *want* to share a tent with a 12 year old! If they're using mixed age patrols and this is a necessity, then efforts should be made to put compatible Scouts together. If they are arbitrarily separating friends to cut down on bedtime chatter, then they've created a bigger problem. The chatter is part of the experience!

                          Sounds like time for a showing of It Happened to Me.

                          YiS,
                          Jamie Dunn
                          Pack Trainer
                          P. 512