Training Awards

  • bnelson45
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2002
      Hi,

      We are looking for anything anyone has to push training awards
      (knots).

      bill
    • Ken Todd
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 11, 2002
        Bill,

        I do not have anything specific to give you. I make all of the new
        leaders aware of the Training Awards that are available. During some
        of the Cubmaster, Pack Committee, Troop Committee, SM/SA, and Venturing
        Specific Courses we push using the Training Awards as a way of we push
        as a way to recognize all of the good work their leaders are doing. We
        also discuss that if a leader is doing all of the items listed, they
        are more likely to have a successful program. The applicable Training
        Award Form is included in all of my district training packets.

        I make all of the award forms available in electronic format. We make
        the presentations at Roundtable to show the other leaders that these
        exist. We also include all of the Training Award recipients in the
        Program and on the Screen at our annual Scouter Recognition Dinner.

        I think the key is to keep it in front of them and make it as easy as
        possible for them to find the requirements and submit the forms.

        Yours in Scouting,
        Ken Todd
        NE-CS-59 Beaver

        "Every Youth Deserves a Trained Leader"
        We are looking for anything anyone has to push training awards
        (knots).

        bill

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • emb021
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 11, 2002
          --- In scouter_t@y..., "bnelson45" <bnelson45@h...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > We are looking for anything anyone has to push training awards
          > (knots).

          Well, the first thing is that people need to know that the award exist
          and the requirements for them. I know when I went thru Basic Leader
          Training I was given copies of the signoff sheet for the scouter's
          training award.

          Idea: have a display of the training awards. Be sure to note who is
          eligible for what awards. Bring them to leader training sessions
          (NLE, position specific, etc). Give copies of the signoff sheets (can
          be copied from back of Leadership Training booklet). Make a point of
          presenting these awards at District Banquets (if you have them), or
          council banquets.

          Also bring out the display and signoff sheets at Roundtables on
          occassion.

          Michael Brown
          Venturing Crew #1838 & 2564
        • Lina
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 11, 2002
            > > We are looking for anything anyone has to push
            training awards (knots). < <

            Sorry, no written materials. But what worked for us
            was emphasizing that the knots were a visual symbol of
            your credibility as a leader. Credibility with the
            boys, parents, other leaders and the district.

            =====
            YIS,
            Lina Fryckman
            Santa Maria Valley District, Los Padres Council, CA

            "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,
            the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world
            may be different, because I was important in the life of a boy."

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • Jak Stallings
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 12, 2002
              My opinion on promoting Training Awards (knots) is not in
              compliance with how BSA has it set up, but I'll throw my
              $0.02 in anyway. Take it for what it is worth.

              BSA has these awards set up for the individual to track
              his/her own progress and submit the application. IMHO this
              is all wrong and eliminates the biggest advantage of having
              the things.

              I believe that the Unit Committee should be aware of the
              knots and an individual leader's progress toward
              qualifying. When a leader has met the requirements, the
              Committee should complete the paperwork, submit it, and
              present the award. The Unit Commissioner should make sure
              the Committee is aware of the awards and encourage them to
              do this. The Unit Leader may want to handle this task for
              the people under that part of the Org Chart (DL, WL, SA,
              CA, etc.). In the case of District or Council level
              Scouters, the appropriate committee should handle this.

              The advantage of this method is that the leader is thanked
              in a tangible way for his/her service. This can be a
              meaningful tribute to a dedicated leader. Many leaders do
              not feel it is appropriate to submit their own name for any
              award, but are honored when someone else notices their
              efforts.

              I am sometimes asked which of my knots means the most to
              me. My reply is, "The Scoutmaster's Award of Merit." Most
              people are surprised since they expect me to say my Eagle
              knot or my Silver Beaver. I then explain that my
              Scoutmaster's Award of Merit was presented through the
              efforts of the PLC of my Troop. They did it because they
              appreciated my efforts. They also did it without any adult
              input or encouragement until they went to the CC to get the
              papers signed by the Committee.

              Just my opinion,
              Jak Stallings
              Prairieville, LA

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • Aumann, Timothy B.
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 13, 2002
                Jack:

                Just curious - how did your PLC know the Scoutmaster Award of Merit existed so they could nominate you?

                At our district's last Troop Committee training, I not only handed out the forms for the training square knots but also one for nominating SM's for the SM Award of Merit. Nobody in the class (and there were several experienced Scouters there) knew about this award. I made a point to make sure the some committee members from Troops where I know the SM should have this award were aware that their SM did not have it - and should!

                But other than this or a Unit Commissioner mentioning it to the Committee Chair, how is the PLC even going to know about it? It is mentioned in the SM Handbook, but is it in the Patrol Leader's Handbook (I'll have to look and see)?

                Just wondering how others make sure deserving Scouters get these awards.

                Tim Aumann
                taumann@...
                Scoutmaster, Troop 479
                Foothills District Boy Scout Training Chair
                "I used to be a Beaver" in 92-40
                "Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle", Class of 1976

                ---------

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 13, 2002
                  I agree with Jak. When I was committee chair for my pack, I handled adult
                  recognitions, ranging from presenting trained patches at pack night to
                  acknowledge those leaders who gave up their personal time to attend training,
                  to those silly little hand-made things (like the wet sponge award) to
                  recognize various volunteers.

                  I always made sure to keep track of training and performance requirements for
                  my leaders and registered committee people. My line is "we want the boys to
                  be proud of their awards - set the example and be proud of yours - you earned
                  'em!"

                  Faun Guarino
                  Long Island, NY
                • John Oliphant
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 10, 2003
                    I recently acquired the latest version of the Training Committee
                    Guide(34169F), and I notice that the Scouter's Training Award and
                    Scoutmaster's Key awards have updated requirements. Two questions:

                    1. Just for reference, when did these awards change?

                    2. How do I handle these changes with regards to the old requirements
                    being obsolete? I have plenty of SMs who did the old training courses
                    and who might like to earn the Key, but won't (want to) do the new
                    courses...

                    --
                    John Oliphant
                    Wabano District Boy Scout Training Guy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 11, 2003
                      As a SWAG*, this year, unless you are referring to the requirement
                      for Fast Start, NLE, SM Specific Tng, and the Outdoor Leadership
                      Experience; these changed a couple of years ago, with the advent of
                      the D or E revision.

                      Dave

                      * My council Service Store has chosen not to buy this revision until
                      the E revision is sold out. I guess I will have to call NC and order
                      a couple of copies.

                      John Oliphant wrote:
                      > I recently acquired the latest version of the Training Committee
                      > Guide(34169F), and I notice that the Scouter's Training Award and
                      > Scoutmaster's Key awards have updated requirements. Two questions:
                      >
                      > 1. Just for reference, when did these awards change?
                      >
                      > 2. How do I handle these changes with regards to the old requirements
                      > being obsolete? I have plenty of SMs who did the old training courses
                      > and who might like to earn the Key, but won't (want to) do the new
                      > courses...
                      >
                      > --
                      > John Oliphant
                      > Wabano District Boy Scout Training Guy
                      > SW Michigan Council
                      > I yus-ta be-a Bobwhite...
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cqva241/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1071194858/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116730>

                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                    • Ken Todd
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 11, 2003
                        John,

                        I am guessing that you are talking about the Training requirement changing from the old names to the new course names. In my case, I use the equivalent courses. For example, the old Scoutmaster Fundamentals would relate to New Leader Essentials + Scoutmaster Specific + Intro. to Outdoor Leader Skills.

                        Remember though that that would not work for Committee Members who did not really have a Troop Committee course in the past.

                        Yours in Scouting,
                        Ken
                        District Training Chair