Monty Python training

  • wahowland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
      In a message dated 2/7/02 12:25:50 PM, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com writes:

      << A brief, improvised dead parrot/Committee breakout session followed. What
      began as a joke has turned into repeat phone calls and emails from people
      wanting to know when we're going to do a full-blown "Pythonesque" Cub leader
      training.

      I know it sounds gimmicky, but there's been such an interest that I'm having
      trouble passing it up. People are telling me that their "absolutely refuse to
      get trained" leaders are willing to go to such an event. >>

      I love it. Can I bring the nice little chocolate frogs? Or some Stilton?
      Cheddar? Devonshire Blue?

      Seriously, I remember vividly the session in my WB class that we were all
      planning to sleep thru, that being "how to pack for an overnight hike." Like
      we hadn't all done this a few hundred times already, and it was late one
      night, right? SO the guy comes out with a huge trashbag and starts pulling
      out things like his dress wingtips for hiking, with gold toe dress socks, his
      pillow and blankie, a nice big and heavy Barbie sleeping bag, and someone
      else drags in the 10-lb bag of charcoal and cast steel hibachi, and a 20-lb
      propane tank and the Coleman 2-burner stove, with grill and fry pans, a
      cooler full of sodas... you get the idea. It was a pleasant break from too
      much training <G>..

      I'm not sure you could structure a whole weekend around such, but maybe some.
      I had a math teacher in high school who had Tom Lehrer (THE Tom Lehrer) as a
      professor at MIT in grad school He had a piano in the lecture hall and they
      never knew when he would sing "The Vatican Rag" or "The Periodic Table of
      Elements" instead of a straight lecture. Mostly, of course, it was straight
      math lecture. but he always had a full classroom and everyone's full
      attention because you could just never tell.... he might... That's a concept
      you could try.

      If you can do it with a Python twist, I'd kill to see it. Maybe we could all
      sing "The Lumberjack Song" after we do ax-yard safety? Or hike with "The
      Minister of Silly Walks"? And of course, what would camp cookery be with out
      "Spam" or "Strawberry tarts"? (It hasn't got MUCH rat in it...) And what a
      great patrol cheer would be "Llamas! Llamas!"

      DO let us know!

      YiS
      Auntie Beans
      Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
      Training Committee Chair
      NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
      Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
      I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
    • Terilianne@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
        I am already singing that wonderful song that Kevin Pate came up with at
        Roundtable tonight....You know the Dancin' in the Street one. (Couple of the
        other trainers and I are going to do the 60's behive and do it like a girl
        groups (The hairy legs and full beard on the one guy is going to be
        hilarious)....I might even bring a can a spam....saying that it won't just be
        "canned" lectures.....Hmmm what else can my twisted brain think of.....

        Gotta say this list is heaven sent for great ideas. My husband told me it is
        a good thing that we all don't live in one council our "Scouting Addiction"
        could consume the one hour a week we have left.

        Scouting for Spam....

        Teri Stoel
        Hiawatha District Cub Trainer Co-ordinator
        Tiger Den Leader
        Webelos Asst Den Leader
        Training/Advancement Chair
        Pack 43-Tioga Hills
        Hiawatha District, Baden Powell Council
        Apalachin, NY
      • R Fisher
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
          wahowland@... wrote:

          > If you can do it with a Python twist, I'd kill to see it. Maybe we could all
          > sing "The Lumberjack Song" after we do ax-yard safety?

          What a spark of inspiration.

          I am scheduled to do the ax part of woods tools training at our Council's
          Outdoor Skills sesssion in two weeks. I have the pressed wildflowers, do you
          think I should do it in women's clothing?

          YiS

          Roy Fisher
        • Rick Cordray
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2002
            In my opinion, absolutely! The benefits of this sort of creativity are
            unbounded. I for one am seriously considering a spontaneous trip to Texas
            (or whereever you are, Roy), just to see this.

            Thanks to everyone for "thinking outside the uniform". I'm helping with SM
            specific training this weekend, and I think my presentations are going to be
            more wacky than usual this time.

            Rick Cordray
            Chief Seattle Council

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2002
              At 01:22 PM 2/8/2002 +0000, you wrote:

              >wahowland@... wrote:
              >
              > > If you can do it with a Python twist, I'd kill to see it. Maybe we
              > could all
              > > sing "The Lumberjack Song" after we do ax-yard safety?
              >
              >What a spark of inspiration.
              >
              > I am scheduled to do the ax part of woods tools training at our Council's
              >Outdoor Skills sesssion in two weeks. I have the pressed wildflowers, do you
              >think I should do it in women's clothing?
              >Roy Fisher>>

              The LJ song is my FAVORITE Monty Python song (Favorite Skits:Crunchy Frog,
              Dead Parrot, Cheese Shop, Arguement Clinic). But the "hanging out in bars"
              part might be a bit over the top. Done in drag would REALLY wake them up,
              but could you imagine the complaints from the humor-impaired?

              For all of the words and recordings of Monty-Pyton skits and songs try
              these links:
              http://www.montypython.net/songlyrics.php3

              and
              http://www.linguistik.uni-erlangen.de/~leidner/MontyPython.html

              Having never heard of the Llamas skit I found this. Could be a great
              walk-on, but not in Spanish, as the subtitles might be difficult.

              (On screen we see a caption: 'THE LLAMA')

              (A Spanish guitarist and a dancer in traditional Spanish costume, followed
              by a caption on the screen : 'LIVE FROM GOLDERS GREEN'. Man enters and
              walks up to a life-size photo of a llama. He delivers the following lecture
              in Spanish, with help from the guitarist and dancer, and superimposed
              subtitles.')

              Man: (but in Spanish with subtitles in English) The llama is a quadruped
              which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a
              forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for
              swimming.

              Guitarist & Dancer: Llamas are larger than frogs.

              Man: Llamas are dangerous, so if you see one where people are swimming, you
              shout...

              Guitarist & Dancer: Look out, there are llamas!

              (A Spanish Lady dressed in a spanish frock, enters on a moped she blows up
              a paper bag and bursts it. They bow. Cut to exterior Ada's Snack Bar [a
              small cafe]. Hand-held camera moves round the back to where an announcer is
              seated at desk with an old-fashioned BBC microphone.)

              Announcer: And now for something completely different - a man with a tape
              recorder up his nose.

              But you could really get things going with take-offs on the Spanish
              Inquisition.
              (Oh, no, here they come.......)

              YIS
              Lorie McGraw