BALOO recognitions

  • roundtableguy
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
      Hi Group!

      My name is Dave Pilkey. I am from the Klahaya District, Mt. Baker
      Council, in Washington State.

      I have been a Tiger Coach, Assistant Den Leader, Den Leader, Assistant
      Cubmaster, Cubmaster, and Day Camp Director. I am currently the Cub
      Scout Roundtable Commissioner and BALOO Training Coordinator. It is
      regarding that last position that I have a question to pose to the
      group.

      We held our first BALOO training last May and had a pretty successful
      one. We had about 20 participants. For recognition, we gave out
      certificates of completion. What have other people done for
      recognition? I don't think BSA puts out any patches - although I
      think they should. Have any of you used your own cutom patches? If so,
      what did they look like? Any other ideas? Pins....hats....???

      Thanks in advance,
      Dave P.
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
        Dave asked: What have other people done for recognition (for BALOO trained leaders)? I don't think BSA puts out any patches - although I
        think they should. Have any of you used your own cutom patches?

        Dave,

        We have run three BALOO trainings since last March, and have done a couple of different attendee and staff recognitions.

        Our pilot BALOO had about 30 participants. We made printed certificates (sample in the files section) and passed out trained cards. We also had custom neckerchiefs made. These were blue for the attendees and yellow for staff, and featured line art of Baloo's head. The graphic is the same headshot of Baloo himself that you find in the syllabus. Our theme was based on the Jungle Book, and we loosely associated colored lei's to that. We had five dens, and handed a lei to each participant that matched their assigned den color. This way they knew who their den-mates were, and it was easy to keep them together. They got to keep the leis.

        I confess I got a deal on the embroidery. My wife owns the machine...

        For our second and third trainings, which had about 50 and 80 participants, respectively, my wife told me that the neckerchief thing was out. No way did she have time to embroider all of those neckerchiefs. However, we were running a Hawaiian vacation theme and stuck with the leis. Certificates and trained cards were handed out as before.

        Incidentally, I have a Word template to print out trained cards so that all you do is set a stack of them in your printer, fill in the names of participants, print and sign them. Let me know if anyone is interested. Since we run BALOO on a pre-registration only basis it meant not having to fill out 80+ cards during the day!

        Our staff all receives multicolored leis. Presenters also have red, white and blue leis. Every staff member also has a Hawaiian fabric neckerchief. One of my staff is handy with a router and makes wooden plaques with the name of the staff member, "Tahquitz District BALOO Staff" and the Baloo head routed into them. These are really nice, and so far he's been willing to put up with our last event having a staff of 21 people!

        After our first training, many of the participants started showing up at RT with the BSA Baloo pins, or custom BALOO patches. Many seemed disappointed that they would go to an 8-hour training and not get a patch, and I agree. This prompted me to suggest a BALOO CSP to our Scout Executive, but the idea was shot down--we don't do CSP for training events. Well, except for Wood Badge. And JLT... I felt that we should give every participant a BALOO CSP, then offer them the option of purchasing 1-2 more for $5 each as a fundraiser. As a CSP collector, it made sense to me!

        YiS,
        Sean
        --
        Sean Scott
        Senior Database Administrator

      • dc_gross
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
          > Dave asked: What have other people done for recognition (for BALOO
          trained leaders)?

          Our course last fall gave out the wallet training recogniztion cards,
          BALOO pins, and a t-shirt. The t-shirt was Navy blue with Baloo and
          the test "BALOO Trained" in the pocket area.

          We thought a t-shirt was a good idea since this would be something
          that they could use as a Class B uniform, and would promote the
          course.

          The problem is that the t-shirt costs more than a patch.

          Yours in Scouting,

          David

          David Gross

          SA T-142, CS RTC, UC
          Eagle/3, OA/B, AOL
          "I used to be a fox, ..."

          Registered in, but not speaking for, the Greater Alabama Council
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
            Dave et al.,
            At our Pow-Wow in November there was a participant with a
            BALOO patch that was really neat looking. (That's all I remember
            about the patch.) I do believe the patch was issued by the
            Northern New Jersey Council. One of our 'pro' scouters was going to
            look into it but I don't know if she ever did. If we don't have
            any NNJ council people on this list I could drop her a message to
            see if she followed through.

            Pete