Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 292

  • Ken Todd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2002
      Every Leader should participate in Fast Start Training as soon as
      possible after they join the Troop. IMHO, all new parents should be
      included as well.

      Fast Start is designed to give them a crash course in the Boy Scout
      Program. That is why I like giving all new parents the opportunity to
      watch the presentations.

      My recommendation for your Training Plan is to schedule time during 3
      Troop Meetings shortly following the last group Bridging into your
      Troop to present the Fast Start Video to your new parents/leaders.
      Present one of the 3 segments during each of those sessions. Leaders
      in this case includes Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmasters, and Troop
      Committee Members.

      New Leader Essentials does not cover the Troop Program. It covers the
      basics the are common across all programs, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts,
      Varsity, and Venturing. So a leader should take Fast Start even if
      they have completed NLE. Plus, remember that New Leader Essentials is
      not required if a Leader has previously completed Basic Training. For
      Example a Pack Committee Member who has completed Basic Training would
      skip NLE and only complete Fast Start and Troop Committee Challenge.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken Todd, Dist Training Chairman
      NE-CS-59 Beaver