Status of Outdoor Webelos Leader training

  • sparklingeagle
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 30, 2002
      Fellow trainers -

      What is the current *official* status of OWL/WLOT? Our District
      training chair says that it has been eliminated, and that Webelos
      leaders are to attend OLS instead; this information reportedly came
      from "Council and National". However, if my memory serves me
      correctly, National has stated just the opposite: OWL remains part of
      the training continuum, and there are currently no plans to change it.

      I must confess that I haven't been keeping up with this forum since
      last October or so, so my information may be out of date -- if so
      please correct me. (I scanned the archives and didn't find any recent
      discussions on this topic.)

      When replying please give me *official* (i.e. from National)
      references or citations if at all possible -- "I heard/saw it on the
      Internet" doesn't hold much water with these folks.

      Thanks in advance,
      Stephanie
    • CubBobwhite
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 30, 2002
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 30, 2002
          In a message dated 1/30/2002 9:32:30 AM, SprklngEagle@... writes:

          << What is the current *official* status of OWL/WLOT? . . .
          When replying please give me *official* (i.e. from National)
          references or citations if at all possible >>

          Stephanie,

          I _believe_ information on this topic was included in a recent issue of
          Scouting magazine. Can't put my hands on it right now, but will search and
          see if I can find it. I think that would be "official" enough.

          YiS,
          Jamie Dunn
          P.512
          Pack Trainer
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          3 Rivers District
        • Cpaitlres
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 30, 2002
            I called Brad Farmer on this exact issue. Brad is the head of the Cub Scout
            division. You are absolutly correct. Webelos Leader Outdoor Training is
            still the outdoor course for Webelos Leaders.

            Rick Kagawa
            Orange County CA

          • Terilianne@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 30, 2002
              Right now I am desperately trying to get a course running the same time as
              the Webelos Weekend (train 'em where they are is my motto) As the boys move
              through the stations the Boy Scout Troops have set up, there will be stations
              for those Webeols Trained leaders (prerequsite is being that you already have
              NLE, CSPST) to continue the WLOT. Also for the Baloo people too. I am in
              the process of modify the courses so that we can overlap...with special
              mention for things that are specific to WLOT and Baloo. My problem is that
              the people who are my trainers are the ones who generally help staff these
              kind of events.

              Teri Stoel
              Hiawatha District Cub Trainer Co-ordinator
              Tiger Den Leader
              Webelos Asst Den Leader
              Training/Advancement Chair
              Pack 43-Tioga Hills
              Hiawatha District, Baden Powell Council
              Apalachin, NY
            • Mills
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 30, 2002
                Terilianne@... wrote:

                > Right now I am desperately trying to get a course running the same time as the
                > Webelos Weekend As the boys move through the stations the Boy Scout Troops
                > have set up, there will be stations for those Webelos Trained leaders. Also
                > for the Baloo people too.

                Hi Teri,
                A few years ago I cancelled our Webolos Leader Outdoor Training because only 1
                student pre-registered. The following week, 9 people called to find out why we
                cancelled--they were planning to come... By that time, some of my staff had
                other plans for the scheduled day. What to do, what to do???

                Webelos Woods was planned for a month later, and the staff for that event was
                gracious enough to let me work training into their day. We ended up with 12
                Webelos Leader students! (This process included getting permission from our DE
                and SE to attempt this.)

                The "Webelos-12" traveled together as one group, with me as their leader. This
                required other adults to take leadership of their dens, and parents of boys
                stepped up for that.

                Webelos Woods offered 40-minute Round-Robin sessions on the following topics:
                Cooking
                First Aid (Hurry Cases)
                Knots
                Fire Building
                Outdoor Flag Ceremonies
                Site Selection-Tent Preparation
                Obstacle Course
                Scout Ideals

                We pulled the "Webelos-12" out of the last two sessions and did "Webelos Outdoor
                Activities" and "Planning Overnight Campouts" instead.

                At that point in the program, all the dens set up their campsites (they were
                camping overnight) and prepared for dinner. While they did that, the
                "Webelos-12" did "Campfire Planning & Preparation" and then an actual "Campfire
                Closing." Then the "Webelos-12" returned to their real dens to enjoy the rest of
                Webelos Woods.

                My thoughts on the day: While the Boy Scouts did an excellent job at their
                stations, our students didn't get to MAKE a foil pack ('tho they did watch one
                being made, and they all tasted samples, and got lots of other ideas to try,
                including dutch-oven cooking). They WATCHED Scouts fold a flag; they didn't
                actually do it. They DID each learn to tie knots! But they learned nothing
                about "Naturalist" or "Forester," etc. BUT, they did get to see GREAT Scout
                Troops in action! I hope you can sense my mixed feelings about this...

                I feel our students got "adequate" training, not "excellent" training. If it
                were necessary I would do it again in a heartbeat, but I don't recommend it as
                the normal way of "doing business."

                Forgive this very long post, all. Hope this helps, Teri.

                Mary Ann Mills
                Cub Training Chairman
                Chief Logan District, Penn's Woods Council
                Altoona, PA
              • JNDunnMN@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 31, 2002
                  Teri - if you're interested I have created a "schedule" that allows running
                  BALOO and WLOT simultaneously at the same facility, that allows sharing of
                  staff. I would be willing to e-mail it to you. (Its a spreadsheet). My
                  browser is out of commission, or I would post it to files.

                  YiS,
                  Jamie Dunn
                  P.512
                  Pack Trainer
                  Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                  Cub Scout Training Chair
                  3 Rivers District
                • E S Meyers
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 31, 2002
                    Jamie,

                    I would be interested in your schedule.
                    We need to do the same thing.

                    Steve Meyers

                  • Terilianne@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 31, 2002
                      Jamie,
                      Yes, could you post it to the files section because I am sure that we have
                      lots of others who would be interested in this too. Thanks it will give me
                      some powerful ammunition when I go to committee to get the go ahead to run
                      this.

                      Thanks ever so

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 31, 2002
                        Jamie,
                        It really pays to read the complete e-mail prior to sending a
                        reply....YES please email it to me. I will then post it to the files section
                        for the group.

                        Teri (today was a snow day for the kids so my brain has turned to
                        oatmeal,...dry lummpy oatmeal)
                      • Ken Todd
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 31, 2002
                          Stephanie,

                          My Council Program Director attended a seminar at Philmont in the Fall
                          where the National staff announced that OWL/WLOT was to be stopped as
                          of 1/1/02. They indicated that a new one hour Webelos Leader
                          Supplemental Session was being added to Introduction to Outdoor Leader
                          Skills, due in January 2002. This was a shift from the National line
                          being stated during the summer.

                          Our Council had initially cancelled our Spring WLOT Course, but has
                          since put it back on the schedule since the Webelos Leader Supplement
                          has not been published yet.

                          Yours in Scouting,
                          Ken Todd, Dist Training Chairman
                          NE-CS-59 Beaver

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 31, 2002
                            Jamie,

                            This makes the most sense of anything I have heard so far. I
                            always figured that these two courses could share a common demonstration area,
                            while the class room sessions would be separate.

                            Please either post this to the files, or e-mail me a copy.

                            Dave

                            JNDunnMN@... wrote:

                            > Teri - if you're interested I have created a "schedule" that allows running
                            > BALOO and WLOT simultaneously at the same facility, that allows sharing of
                            > staff. I would be willing to e-mail it to you. (Its a spreadsheet). My
                            > browser is out of commission, or I would post it to files.
                            >
                            > YiS,
                            > Jamie Dunn
                            > P.512
                            > Pack Trainer
                            > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                            > Cub Scout Training Chair
                            > 3 Rivers District

                            Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                            1094 Woodbury Ave. (603) 431 5342
                            Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
                          • David D. Vaughan
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 31, 2002
                              Has anyone else on the list heard of the possible dropping of OWL (WLOT) and
                              replacing it with a Webelos section attached to Introduction to Outdoor
                              Leader
                              Skills?

                              David Vaughan
                              Council Training Chair
                              Southern Sierra Council
                              W4-57-86
                              DVAUGHAN@...
                              Still a Buffalo....

                              There's only one thing wrong with Boy Scouts...
                              there aren't enough of 'em.
                              -Will Rogers
                            • CubBobwhite
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 1 2:13 AM
                                From: "David D. Vaughan"

                                > Has anyone else on the list heard of the possible dropping of OWL (WLOT)
                                and
                                > replacing it with a Webelos section attached to Introduction to Outdoor
                                > Leader
                                > Skills?

                                I have not heard anything like that at all so I am still going by the recent
                                article in Scouting magazine from September 2001. I really can't imagine
                                how the Webelos specific information in the OWL can be pared down to only
                                one hour.

                                --------