Re: Trainer Development Conference & Pack Trainers

  • Keith Tilley
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2002
      Barb said, "Maybe some body who has attended TTT & TDC can help me out here.
      I thought they were basically the same course. Our Council Training
      Committee has given prior attendees of the TTT credit for attending TDC. Do
      we have to go back and rethink this."

      I've taught both courses, and it's my opinion that if you've completed TTT,
      it shouldn't be necessary to take TDC. I've encouraged my TTT-trained
      trainers to take TDC, but not required it.

      Keith Tilley
      Council Cub Scout Training Chairman
    • Lloyd Solis
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2002
        Last night I attended our Council's Training Committee meeting. Our professional
        advisor stated that those who had previously taken TTT must now take TDC to
        remain qualified to teach. I do not know if that's 'local opinion' or BSA
        policy; it is our council policy.
        Prior training for leaders in specific positions is still valid.
        One point that was made: Tiger Cub Organizer training will not qualify as
        "Trained" for the new position of Tiger Cub Den Leader. It was stated that there
        is sufficient difference in the Tiger Cub program since the changes were made
        last year that Tiger Cub leaders need the new training.

        A more startling statement was: Packs may be given "Approved" Local Tour permits
        to camp through the council BUT "should there be an accident or injury and there
        is NO BALOO TRAINED LEADER as part of the planning and implementation of the
        camping trip, BSA (national) and Mutual of Omaha (local unit medical insurance)
        would NOT support the claim(s) for injury or liability.
        I was told that a letter from BSA was received by council stating this. Does
        anyone have a 'copy' of that letter? This might be the catalyst to get our DE
        moving to fill our vacant Training position(s) and hold a BALOO course.( I have
        been trying, unsuccessfully, to get support for BALOO since Dec 2000 when I
        bought the syllabus.) We were instructed to offer BALOO as district level
        training; the training is open to people in other districts of our council. To
        date there has been one course offered in the council - with poor participation.

        Lloyd

        Keith Tilley wrote:

        > Barb said, "Maybe some body who has attended TTT & TDC can help me out here.
        > I thought they were basically the same course. Our Council Training
        > Committee has given prior attendees of the TTT credit for attending TDC. Do
        > we have to go back and rethink this."
        >
        > I've taught both courses, and it's my opinion that if you've completed TTT,
        > it shouldn't be necessary to take TDC. I've encouraged my TTT-trained
        > trainers to take TDC, but not required it.
        >
        > Keith Tilley
        > Council Cub Scout Training Chairman

      • Ken Todd
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2002
          I followed up with my Council Program Director. He has not received
          any of the information that you shared with us.

          He indicated that National still prefers that training be completed at
          the District level, but has found the in Packs we need to go the extra
          step to get it down to the Unit level. National went through a lot of
          expense to provide every District with Training materials to not want
          them to execute the Training.

          He also indicated that Council Executive do have the authority to
          define additional requirements for a person to provide Basic Training.
          It is his name on the bottom of the Training Card.

          At this point, nobody who is not a member of a Training Team is
          authorized to provide Basic Training in our Council, and we have the
          most leaders of any Council.

          As for attendance at TDC, we are strongly encouraging this, especially
          for new trainers. It is also a good idea for trainers who attended TTT
          a number of years ago.

          Yours in Scouting,
          Ken Todd
          NE-CS-59 Beaver