Merit Badges

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2002
      While our council doesn't limit the number of MB's a counselor can handle,
      the MB application has slots for 5 MBs.

      Five sounded like a reasonable number to me, so I sat down w/ a requirement
      book and picked out a list of MBs I felt I was qualified to teach. From
      that, I culled the five, I thought I would be best at. I paid special
      attention to the MB's offered by other members of our Troop committee
      especially those required for Eagle.

      We have two-deep coverage for most Eagle-required MBs just within our Troop
      committee. We don't have two for communications, and we have NONE for
      Personal Fitness. (PF only has 3 in our entire DISTRICT -- or at least only
      3 willing to teach outside of their troop.)

      For several MBs, we've gone out to the community to ask them for help. We
      have the President of the local Fire Company (who is also a trained EMT) who
      does Fire Safety and First Aid. Our mayor gladly helps out with the
      Citizenship in the Community.

      As for the Scoutmaster finishing the partials from summer camp (or so on)
      ours doesn't unless it's one of the 5-6 MB's that he is signed up to teach.
      Even then, he encourages the boys to contact someone else to finish the
      badge with. [Our scoutmaster is a former Eagle of our troop.]

      On another point. My husband and I try not to do the MBs for our son. It
      just keeps the 'politics' out of it. I'd hate for someone to come back when
      it's time for his Eagle Board of review and question any MB's that we had
      led for him. This way there can be no question of us making him do all of
      the requirements or forcing him to do more than the requirements.

      Ida Lively