Re: [Scouter_T] Merit Badge Counselor Limitations

  • E S Meyers
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
      At 07:00 AM 1/3/02 +0000, you wrote:
      I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion about limiting merit badge
      counselors. What do you think about a council limiting the amount of
      merit badges one person can counsel?

      It's kinda like radar detectors.
      You either follow the rules or decide that you are above the rules.

      I favor limiting the counselor to what he or she can prove they know.
      It is no more correct to put an arbitrary limit on an experienced
      counselor than it is to let a Scoutmaster "finish counseling" any merit
      badge started at summer camp.

      Steve Meyers
      Troop 133 Advancement Chairman
      Great Smoky Mountain Council
      PS: I don't have a radar detector and don't want my kids to get one.
    • Trotter
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
        It is a hard call. I think a better rule would be to
        limit the number of merit badges each boy can earn
        from one counselor. This would meet any objections
        that the council may have about the counselors and the
        boys would be exposed to more counselors.

        Mat Trotter

        --- masterofscouts540 <masterofscouts540@...>
        wrote:
        > I just wanted to ask everyones opinion about
        > limiting merit badge
        > counselors. What do you think about a council
        > limiting the amount of
        > merit badges one person can counsel? Some limit
        > counselors to 5
        > others 7. What do you think? The National
        > Advancement book says
        > there is no limit on the number of merit badges one
        > counselor can
        > counsel. I dont particulary like limiting
        > counselors and our council
        > is trying to limit counselors to 7.

        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
      • Kent Wolfe
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
          I've heard our council (Cornhusker) has a rule about how many MBs one can
          counsel, but I've never seen it in writing. As SM, I track the counselors
          I've assigned for each Scout. If the Scout has worked with the same adult
          on more than 2 or 3 MBs already, I have them work with a different adult. Of
          course this doesn't always work when the troop only has one MB counselor for
          a badge.

          This approach supports the "adult association" method. It also allows me to
          not assign counselors who I've heard might not be requiring Scouts to fully
          complete requirements.

          Kent Wolfe
          Troop 12 SM
          Lincoln, NE
          A Buffalo at C-14-01

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002

            You Said:
            It's kinda like radar detectors.
            You either follow the rules or decide that you are above the rules.

            That is my point exactly the National BSA Advancement book states
            that their is no limit on the amount of merit badges one individual
            can counsel or how many they can counsel for one scout. This is in
            the National Advancement Guidebook the newest version. If the
            National Council has this policy I dont think a council should be
            able to change it. Maybe later I will get into the full story but
            the council is saying they plan to start limiting counselors to 7.
            What about people who are proficient at 10 or 12 badges. It is
            really easy to be able to counsel many badges. If you are an avid
            collector then their is three collecting badges. One for coins,
            stamps, and collections. That only leaves you with four more out of
            119 badges. I'm not saying let one person counsel 50 badges but out
            of the 119 badges their is 15 that I can counsel my self. All they
            are doing is taking away from their merit badge counselor pool, and
            possibly making scouts go farther away to find a counselor. By the
            way I live in a rural county with a very limited amount of counselors
            in our county. Thanks for listening.
          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 8, 2002
              > As SM, I track the counselors
              > I've assigned for each Scout. If the Scout has worked with the same adult
              > on more than 2 or 3 MBs already, I have them work with a different adult.
              > Of
              > course this doesn't always work when the troop only has one MB counselor
              > for
              > a badge.

              I've never heard of anyone 'assigning' counselors to scouts. My
              district has a list of MB counselors which we have available for
              the boys. It has phone numbers and addresses. We usually let them
              know if we are familiar with any of the people on the list. The
              adults in my troop have NOT signed up to ensure we have all the
              'eagle required' MB's covered. To me it is appalling that some
              MB counselors will tell a boy that they only counsel boys in their
              own troop.

              Pete Mullaney