RE: [Scouter_T] Merit Badge Counselor Limitations

  • Rick Rambo
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 6, 2002
      I think that I had not explained well enough. What our council asks (not
      requires) is that any one counselor only counsel no more than five badges
      for any one boy. A counselor can be signed up for five, twenty or more
      badges - if he is qualified - but we ask a VOLUNTARY limit on the
      relationship between one boy and one counselor. This can help prevent a
      troop from having two or three 'counselors' for all the boys in the troop.

      I hope I explained a little better this time

      Rick

      **********
      Now more than ever -
      America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
      **********
      Rick Rambo
      e-mail: rickram.geo@...

      FAX: (561) 673-0437
      http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
      http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
      AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

      Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 07:00:30 -0000
      From: "masterofscouts540" <masterofscouts540@...>
      Subject: Merit Badge Counselor Limitations

      ... What do you think about a council limiting the amount of merit
      badges one person can counsel? ... The National Advancement book says
      there is no limit on the number of merit badges one counselor can
      counsel....

      Message: 12
      Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:42:39 -0800
      From: "Rick Rambo" <krrambo@...>
      Subject: RE: Merit Badge Counselor Limitations

      Our Council has a *recommendation* of no more than five badges
      counseled for any one boy by the same counselor....

    • E S Meyers
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
        At 07:00 AM 1/3/02 +0000, you wrote:
        I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion about limiting merit badge
        counselors. What do you think about a council limiting the amount of
        merit badges one person can counsel?

        It's kinda like radar detectors.
        You either follow the rules or decide that you are above the rules.

        I favor limiting the counselor to what he or she can prove they know.
        It is no more correct to put an arbitrary limit on an experienced
        counselor than it is to let a Scoutmaster "finish counseling" any merit
        badge started at summer camp.

        Steve Meyers
        Troop 133 Advancement Chairman
        Great Smoky Mountain Council
        PS: I don't have a radar detector and don't want my kids to get one.
      • Trotter
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
          It is a hard call. I think a better rule would be to
          limit the number of merit badges each boy can earn
          from one counselor. This would meet any objections
          that the council may have about the counselors and the
          boys would be exposed to more counselors.

          Mat Trotter

          --- masterofscouts540 <masterofscouts540@...>
          wrote:
          > I just wanted to ask everyones opinion about
          > limiting merit badge
          > counselors. What do you think about a council
          > limiting the amount of
          > merit badges one person can counsel? Some limit
          > counselors to 5
          > others 7. What do you think? The National
          > Advancement book says
          > there is no limit on the number of merit badges one
          > counselor can
          > counsel. I dont particulary like limiting
          > counselors and our council
          > is trying to limit counselors to 7.

          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
        • Kent Wolfe
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
            I've heard our council (Cornhusker) has a rule about how many MBs one can
            counsel, but I've never seen it in writing. As SM, I track the counselors
            I've assigned for each Scout. If the Scout has worked with the same adult
            on more than 2 or 3 MBs already, I have them work with a different adult. Of
            course this doesn't always work when the troop only has one MB counselor for
            a badge.

            This approach supports the "adult association" method. It also allows me to
            not assign counselors who I've heard might not be requiring Scouts to fully
            complete requirements.

            Kent Wolfe
            Troop 12 SM
            Lincoln, NE
            A Buffalo at C-14-01

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002

              You Said:
              It's kinda like radar detectors.
              You either follow the rules or decide that you are above the rules.

              That is my point exactly the National BSA Advancement book states
              that their is no limit on the amount of merit badges one individual
              can counsel or how many they can counsel for one scout. This is in
              the National Advancement Guidebook the newest version. If the
              National Council has this policy I dont think a council should be
              able to change it. Maybe later I will get into the full story but
              the council is saying they plan to start limiting counselors to 7.
              What about people who are proficient at 10 or 12 badges. It is
              really easy to be able to counsel many badges. If you are an avid
              collector then their is three collecting badges. One for coins,
              stamps, and collections. That only leaves you with four more out of
              119 badges. I'm not saying let one person counsel 50 badges but out
              of the 119 badges their is 15 that I can counsel my self. All they
              are doing is taking away from their merit badge counselor pool, and
              possibly making scouts go farther away to find a counselor. By the
              way I live in a rural county with a very limited amount of counselors
              in our county. Thanks for listening.
            • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2002
                > As SM, I track the counselors
                > I've assigned for each Scout. If the Scout has worked with the same adult
                > on more than 2 or 3 MBs already, I have them work with a different adult.
                > Of
                > course this doesn't always work when the troop only has one MB counselor
                > for
                > a badge.

                I've never heard of anyone 'assigning' counselors to scouts. My
                district has a list of MB counselors which we have available for
                the boys. It has phone numbers and addresses. We usually let them
                know if we are familiar with any of the people on the list. The
                adults in my troop have NOT signed up to ensure we have all the
                'eagle required' MB's covered. To me it is appalling that some
                MB counselors will tell a boy that they only counsel boys in their
                own troop.

                Pete Mullaney