Re: [Scouter_T] BALOO Training Aids

  • Leonard Christiansen
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2002
      While the Ballo artwork is of interest, the scanner driver is possibly of much more interest to me. I have a Logitech Scanman 256 grey-scale handheld scanner that is no longer supported by Logitech ( or anyone else). There are no Windows ME drivers for it. It works with the Windows 95 drivers if you install them anew everytime you want to scan something, but that is a pain. I need a Win ME driver for this scanner. Is there any chance that your driver will meet that need?

      YIS,
      Len Christiansen lrchristiansen@...
      SA Troop 292, Mobile, AL Spanish Trail District Commissioner
      Gihim - One Who Encourages

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 27, 2002
        Offering several courses a year I can see that before too long it will
        become a paper nightmare trying to verify "Trained" status as leaders
        progress through the CS and BS programs. Has anyone already developed
        an Access Database to keep track of who attend which classes? If so,
        would you share? Or at least share some guidance and wisdom on what
        fields you thought were necessary / beneficial, etc.

        Those who might share the skeleton database, e-mail me privately at
        sbrown@....

        Those sharing wisdom, this might be a good topic of discussion for the
        list.

        Sheila Brown
        Pioneer District Training Chair
        Quapaw Area Council
        Little Rock, AR

        Fox SR-CS-13 and SR-334
      • Aumann, Timothy B.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 28, 2002
          Sheila Brown said in part:

          >Offering several courses a year I can see that before too long it will
          >become a paper nightmare trying to verify "Trained" status as leaders
          >progress through the CS and BS programs. Has anyone already developed
          >an Access Database to keep track of who attend which classes? If so,
          >would you share? Or at least share some guidance and wisdom on what
          >fields you thought were necessary / beneficial, etc.

          Sheila:

          A couple of months ago I asked for (and received) requirements for a training database program from the list. I have been working on a program to do just that. It is just about ready to send out to those who would like to be beta testers. I just need a couple of free hours to finish it up.

          Tim Aumann
          taumann@...
          Scoutmaster, Troop 479
          Foothills District Boy Scout Training Chair
          "I used to be a Beaver" in 92-40
          "Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle", Class of 1976
        • Terilianne@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 28, 2002
            Tim,
            please oh please let me be one of your beta testers.....I am very good
            at finding things that go wrong....The great God Murphy loves me......(I even
            have a button that says " What are you doing wrong with our error free
            product" please oh please....

            Teri

            Teri Stoel
            Hiawatha District Cub Trainer Co-ordinator
            Tiger Den Leader
            Webelos Asst Den Leader
            Training/Advancement Chair
            Pack 43-Tioga Hills
            Hiawatha District, Baden Powell Council
            Apalachin, NY
          • Del Rockwell
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 28, 2002
              Tim,

              I would like to be a beta tester for your database also. Let me
              know if I can help. Thanks.

              Del Rockwell

              > A couple of months ago I asked for (and received) requirements for a
              > training database program from the list. I have been working on a
              > program to do just that. It is just about ready to send out to those
              > who would like to be beta testers. I just need a couple of free hours
              > to finish it up.
              >
              > Tim Aumann
              > taumann@...
              > Scoutmaster, Troop 479
              > Foothills District Boy Scout Training Chair
              > "I used to be a Beaver" in 92-40
              > "Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle", Class of 1976

              Del Rockwell
              drockwell@...
              CM Pack 345, SA Troop 345
              Bellevue United Methodist Church
              Nottawa Trails District
              Southwest Michigan Council
            • REDDOGSIX@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 28, 2002
                In a message dated 1/29/02 4:17:33 AM, drockwell@... writes:

                << A couple of months ago I asked for (and received) requirements for a
                > training database program from the list. I have been working on a
                > program to do just that. It is just about ready to send out to those
                > who would like to be beta testers. I just need a couple of free hours
                > to finish it up.>>

                Will it be available and usable to us Mac users?

                See ya on the trail,

                Reddog
                Scoutmentor

                Thinking is the Greatest Pleasure
              • Kris Swank
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 10, 2002
                  Hi,

                  A while back the gentleman who was creating the Access Database to track
                  training info sain he was about ready to "Beta" test his product. How
                  are things going?

                  The reason I ask is, I need something to get organized since the data
                  the Council Office gives me is wrong in many instances and I can't get
                  them to fix it. If I had something to put my data in and correlate it to
                  the council printouts it would help immensley.

                  Thanks,
                  Kristen Swank
                  OT Training Chair
                  East Texas Area Council
                • Scouter Chuck
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 12, 2002
                    Kristen:

                    I think Troopmaster has something like this.

                    Also, the Access program has some "canned" applications that you
                    might be able to use. Or, you could create a spreadsheet on Excel
                    to do it. That's about all I can offer at this point.

                    YiS,

                    Chuck

                    > From: Kris Swank <kswank@...>
                    > Date: 2002/08/10 Sat AM 10:20:32 EDT
                    > To: Scouter_t List <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: [Scouter_T] Training Database
                    >
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > A while back the gentleman who was creating the Access Database to track
                    > training info sain he was about ready to "Beta" test his product. How
                    > are things going?
                    >
                    > The reason I ask is, I need something to get organized since the data
                    > the Council Office gives me is wrong in many instances and I can't get
                    > them to fix it. If I had something to put my data in and correlate it to
                    > the council printouts it would help immensley.
                  • Sheila Brown
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 16, 2002
                      I think we are all looking for something like this. I don't really
                      have the expertise to develop it myself, at least not in any decent
                      time frame. If anyone has would you please send a message to the list
                      and post it in the files section of the web page. Thank you in advance
                      - Sheila Brown

                      On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:20:32 -0500, Kris Swank wrote:

                      >Hi,
                      >
                      >A while back the gentleman who was creating the Access Database to track
                      >training info sain he was about ready to "Beta" test his product. How
                      >are things going?
                      >
                      >The reason I ask is, I need something to get organized since the data
                      >the Council Office gives me is wrong in many instances and I can't get
                      >them to fix it. If I had something to put my data in and correlate it to
                      >the council printouts it would help immensley.
                      >
                      >Thanks,
                      >Kristen Swank
                      >OT Training Chair
                      >East Texas Area Council

                      >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

                    • Scouter Chuck
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 16, 2002
                        Sheila asked...

                        > I think we are all looking for something like this. I don't really
                        > have the expertise to develop it myself, at least not in any decent
                        > time frame. If anyone has would you please send a message to the list
                        > and post it in the files section of the web page. Thank you in advance

                        I am not one to advocate reinvention of the wheel.

                        There is a "canned" membership list in the Access
                        database wizard that will create a bas list for you. Or,
                        you could purchase Troopmaster for the Troop or
                        District. Troopmaster has the ability to track al the
                        Adult Leaders' training for the Troop. If you're dealing
                        with a District, theirs has the ability to track your
                        MB Counselors as well.

                        I suggest investigating these first.

                        I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
                        Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
                        -- Stephen R. Covey
                      • Judy Yeager
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 17, 2002
                          Kristen Swank wrote: <snip> . . .the data the Council Office gives me is
                          wrong in many instances and I can't get them to fix it. If I had something
                          to put my data in and correlate it to the council printouts it would help
                          immensley. <end snip>

                          I am sorry that your Council doesn't seem to have accurate training records,
                          but glad to hear that our Council isn't the only one that can't put out
                          accurate information. Last week I was given two reports: a Top Leader
                          trained report and a Council Training Report. These two documents are
                          supposed to reflect identical information in two different formats and they
                          do not agree and the differences are not just in numbers trained. One
                          document says our District has 34 packs and the other says we have 35.

                          We have, for about 10 years now, used File Maker Pro for our District
                          training database with great success. This database allows you to sort by
                          multiple line items and Scoutnet does not. This is a problem we ran into
                          just this past week at our Council Training Meeting. In our Council,
                          certain trainings are offered to adults during Boy Scout summer camp.
                          Training Attendance Reports of these trainings are submitted to Council and
                          entered into Scoutnet. However, the Districts are never advised that their
                          folks attended any of these trainings. The statement was made that Council
                          just cannot make 13 copies of each TAP so they could be distributed to the
                          districts. We asked that they print a report after data entry and get it to
                          us and were told that they could sort by course name but the report would
                          list everyone in the database who ever took that course but would not
                          include the date the course was held!

                          Given the choice, I depend on our database, not Scoutnet!

                          Judy Yeager
                        • tinman507
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 19, 2004
                            Good Day group!
                            I am tasked with registration for our University of Scouting. I am in
                            search of an Access database designed for PowWows, Universities and
                            the like. If you have such a critter and don't mind passing it
                            along, it would be HUGELY appreciated. I am Access-challenged. I
                            have attempted to do this in Excel but it becomes too cumbersome.

                            Ideally, it would register the attendees, keep track of staff, do
                            course selection and maybe even print an attendee card.

                            Thanks to anyone who can help

                            YiS,

                            Chris Finnegan
                            Asst. Council Training Chairman
                            Bucks County Council, PA
                            ...and a good old Bobwhite too NE-CS-59
                          • Dave Loomis
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 19, 2004
                              I have one but it is pretty rough. It works on the assumption that
                              your council registers attendees in ScoutNet, and you can get a
                              download of this part of the infotmation.

                              I asked that they register in the format:
                              Dinner Choice, Pd1/P1A, Pd2/P2a, Pd3/P3a, Pd4/p4a, Pd5/p5a

                              Where Pd1 is their first choice for Per 1, and P1a is their
                              alternate. It also prints the course ticket and meal choice on half a
                              page, which can be sliced into two tickets with a knife or shears.

                              Dave

                              tinman507 wrote:
                              > Good Day group!
                              > I am tasked with registration for our University of Scouting. I am in
                              > search of an Access database designed for PowWows, Universities and
                              > the like. If you have such a critter and don't mind passing it
                              > along, it would be HUGELY appreciated. I am Access-challenged. I
                              > have attempted to do this in Excel but it becomes too cumbersome.
                              >
                              > Ideally, it would register the attendees, keep track of staff, do
                              > course selection and maybe even print an attendee card.
                              >
                              > Thanks to anyone who can help
                              >
                              > YiS,
                              >
                              > Chris Finnegan
                              > Asst. Council Training Chairman