BALOO Training Aids

  • oracle_sean
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2002
      OK, after having to write a driver to get my five year old scanner to
      work with a much more recent OS, I'm finally able to scan again.
      First project: The new artwork that one of my BALOO staff made. He's
      an artist for Mattel, and drew up some really neat looking artwork
      that we use during the round robin sessions.

      Take a look in the files section for:

      The file contains four images:
      * Hiking and Nature Activities, with Baloo the bear climbing a rocky
      cliff face.
      * Fire Safety, Stoves and Lanterns, with Baloo warming his behind
      over a campfire.
      * First Aid and Sanitation, with Baloo bandaged and splinted.
      * Games, showing a racoon catching an egg.

      (Check out BALOO Cooking.zip too, which has seven slides for the
      cooking session.)

      We enlarged the originals to roughly 20X30 and spray adhesed them to
      some foam core. You should be able to burn these to a CD and take
      them by your local reprographics shop to have enlargments made, or
      you can use them in a PowerPoint presentation.

      I had to really cut back the resolution on these to make them a
      reasonable size, so if they don't enlarge to your satisfaction, let
      me know and I can privately email the original, full size scans,
      which are 5-10MB each!

      YiS,
      Sean Scott
      This week's hat: Getting ready for BALOO #3, which is also part two
      of "Three BALOO's in three months!" What was I thinking???
    • Leonard Christiansen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2002
        While the Ballo artwork is of interest, the scanner driver is possibly of much more interest to me. I have a Logitech Scanman 256 grey-scale handheld scanner that is no longer supported by Logitech ( or anyone else). There are no Windows ME drivers for it. It works with the Windows 95 drivers if you install them anew everytime you want to scan something, but that is a pain. I need a Win ME driver for this scanner. Is there any chance that your driver will meet that need?

        YIS,
        Len Christiansen lrchristiansen@...
        SA Troop 292, Mobile, AL Spanish Trail District Commissioner
        Gihim - One Who Encourages

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 27, 2002
          Offering several courses a year I can see that before too long it will
          become a paper nightmare trying to verify "Trained" status as leaders
          progress through the CS and BS programs. Has anyone already developed
          an Access Database to keep track of who attend which classes? If so,
          would you share? Or at least share some guidance and wisdom on what
          fields you thought were necessary / beneficial, etc.

          Those who might share the skeleton database, e-mail me privately at
          sbrown@....

          Those sharing wisdom, this might be a good topic of discussion for the
          list.

          Sheila Brown
          Pioneer District Training Chair
          Quapaw Area Council
          Little Rock, AR

          Fox SR-CS-13 and SR-334
        • Aumann, Timothy B.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 28, 2002
            Sheila Brown said in part:

            >Offering several courses a year I can see that before too long it will
            >become a paper nightmare trying to verify "Trained" status as leaders
            >progress through the CS and BS programs. Has anyone already developed
            >an Access Database to keep track of who attend which classes? If so,
            >would you share? Or at least share some guidance and wisdom on what
            >fields you thought were necessary / beneficial, etc.

            Sheila:

            A couple of months ago I asked for (and received) requirements for a training database program from the list. I have been working on a program to do just that. It is just about ready to send out to those who would like to be beta testers. I just need a couple of free hours to finish it up.

            Tim Aumann
            taumann@...
            Scoutmaster, Troop 479
            Foothills District Boy Scout Training Chair
            "I used to be a Beaver" in 92-40
            "Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle", Class of 1976
          • Terilianne@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 28, 2002
              Tim,
              please oh please let me be one of your beta testers.....I am very good
              at finding things that go wrong....The great God Murphy loves me......(I even
              have a button that says " What are you doing wrong with our error free
              product" please oh please....

              Teri

              Teri Stoel
              Hiawatha District Cub Trainer Co-ordinator
              Tiger Den Leader
              Webelos Asst Den Leader
              Training/Advancement Chair
              Pack 43-Tioga Hills
              Hiawatha District, Baden Powell Council
              Apalachin, NY
            • Del Rockwell
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 28, 2002
                Tim,

                I would like to be a beta tester for your database also. Let me
                know if I can help. Thanks.

                Del Rockwell

                > A couple of months ago I asked for (and received) requirements for a
                > training database program from the list. I have been working on a
                > program to do just that. It is just about ready to send out to those
                > who would like to be beta testers. I just need a couple of free hours
                > to finish it up.
                >
                > Tim Aumann
                > taumann@...
                > Scoutmaster, Troop 479
                > Foothills District Boy Scout Training Chair
                > "I used to be a Beaver" in 92-40
                > "Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle", Class of 1976

                Del Rockwell
                drockwell@...
                CM Pack 345, SA Troop 345
                Bellevue United Methodist Church
                Nottawa Trails District
                Southwest Michigan Council
              • REDDOGSIX@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 28, 2002
                  In a message dated 1/29/02 4:17:33 AM, drockwell@... writes:

                  << A couple of months ago I asked for (and received) requirements for a
                  > training database program from the list. I have been working on a
                  > program to do just that. It is just about ready to send out to those
                  > who would like to be beta testers. I just need a couple of free hours
                  > to finish it up.>>

                  Will it be available and usable to us Mac users?

                  See ya on the trail,

                  Reddog
                  Scoutmentor

                  Thinking is the Greatest Pleasure
                • Kris Swank
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 10, 2002
                    Hi,

                    A while back the gentleman who was creating the Access Database to track
                    training info sain he was about ready to "Beta" test his product. How
                    are things going?

                    The reason I ask is, I need something to get organized since the data
                    the Council Office gives me is wrong in many instances and I can't get
                    them to fix it. If I had something to put my data in and correlate it to
                    the council printouts it would help immensley.

                    Thanks,
                    Kristen Swank
                    OT Training Chair
                    East Texas Area Council
                  • Scouter Chuck
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 12, 2002
                      Kristen:

                      I think Troopmaster has something like this.

                      Also, the Access program has some "canned" applications that you
                      might be able to use. Or, you could create a spreadsheet on Excel
                      to do it. That's about all I can offer at this point.

                      YiS,

                      Chuck

                      > From: Kris Swank <kswank@...>
                      > Date: 2002/08/10 Sat AM 10:20:32 EDT
                      > To: Scouter_t List <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: [Scouter_T] Training Database
                      >
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > A while back the gentleman who was creating the Access Database to track
                      > training info sain he was about ready to "Beta" test his product. How
                      > are things going?
                      >
                      > The reason I ask is, I need something to get organized since the data
                      > the Council Office gives me is wrong in many instances and I can't get
                      > them to fix it. If I had something to put my data in and correlate it to
                      > the council printouts it would help immensley.
                    • Sheila Brown
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 16 7:57 PM
                        I think we are all looking for something like this. I don't really
                        have the expertise to develop it myself, at least not in any decent
                        time frame. If anyone has would you please send a message to the list
                        and post it in the files section of the web page. Thank you in advance
                        - Sheila Brown

                        On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:20:32 -0500, Kris Swank wrote:

                        >Hi,
                        >
                        >A while back the gentleman who was creating the Access Database to track
                        >training info sain he was about ready to "Beta" test his product. How
                        >are things going?
                        >
                        >The reason I ask is, I need something to get organized since the data
                        >the Council Office gives me is wrong in many instances and I can't get
                        >them to fix it. If I had something to put my data in and correlate it to
                        >the council printouts it would help immensley.
                        >
                        >Thanks,
                        >Kristen Swank
                        >OT Training Chair
                        >East Texas Area Council

                        >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

                      • Scouter Chuck
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 16 11:13 PM
                          Sheila asked...

                          > I think we are all looking for something like this. I don't really
                          > have the expertise to develop it myself, at least not in any decent
                          > time frame. If anyone has would you please send a message to the list
                          > and post it in the files section of the web page. Thank you in advance

                          I am not one to advocate reinvention of the wheel.

                          There is a "canned" membership list in the Access
                          database wizard that will create a bas list for you. Or,
                          you could purchase Troopmaster for the Troop or
                          District. Troopmaster has the ability to track al the
                          Adult Leaders' training for the Troop. If you're dealing
                          with a District, theirs has the ability to track your
                          MB Counselors as well.

                          I suggest investigating these first.

                          I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
                          Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
                          -- Stephen R. Covey
                        • Judy Yeager
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 17 7:46 AM
                            Kristen Swank wrote: <snip> . . .the data the Council Office gives me is
                            wrong in many instances and I can't get them to fix it. If I had something
                            to put my data in and correlate it to the council printouts it would help
                            immensley. <end snip>

                            I am sorry that your Council doesn't seem to have accurate training records,
                            but glad to hear that our Council isn't the only one that can't put out
                            accurate information. Last week I was given two reports: a Top Leader
                            trained report and a Council Training Report. These two documents are
                            supposed to reflect identical information in two different formats and they
                            do not agree and the differences are not just in numbers trained. One
                            document says our District has 34 packs and the other says we have 35.

                            We have, for about 10 years now, used File Maker Pro for our District
                            training database with great success. This database allows you to sort by
                            multiple line items and Scoutnet does not. This is a problem we ran into
                            just this past week at our Council Training Meeting. In our Council,
                            certain trainings are offered to adults during Boy Scout summer camp.
                            Training Attendance Reports of these trainings are submitted to Council and
                            entered into Scoutnet. However, the Districts are never advised that their
                            folks attended any of these trainings. The statement was made that Council
                            just cannot make 13 copies of each TAP so they could be distributed to the
                            districts. We asked that they print a report after data entry and get it to
                            us and were told that they could sort by course name but the report would
                            list everyone in the database who ever took that course but would not
                            include the date the course was held!

                            Given the choice, I depend on our database, not Scoutnet!

                            Judy Yeager
                          • tinman507
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 19, 2004
                              Good Day group!
                              I am tasked with registration for our University of Scouting. I am in
                              search of an Access database designed for PowWows, Universities and
                              the like. If you have such a critter and don't mind passing it
                              along, it would be HUGELY appreciated. I am Access-challenged. I
                              have attempted to do this in Excel but it becomes too cumbersome.

                              Ideally, it would register the attendees, keep track of staff, do
                              course selection and maybe even print an attendee card.

                              Thanks to anyone who can help

                              YiS,

                              Chris Finnegan
                              Asst. Council Training Chairman
                              Bucks County Council, PA
                              ...and a good old Bobwhite too NE-CS-59
                            • Dave Loomis
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 19, 2004
                                I have one but it is pretty rough. It works on the assumption that
                                your council registers attendees in ScoutNet, and you can get a
                                download of this part of the infotmation.

                                I asked that they register in the format:
                                Dinner Choice, Pd1/P1A, Pd2/P2a, Pd3/P3a, Pd4/p4a, Pd5/p5a

                                Where Pd1 is their first choice for Per 1, and P1a is their
                                alternate. It also prints the course ticket and meal choice on half a
                                page, which can be sliced into two tickets with a knife or shears.

                                Dave

                                tinman507 wrote:
                                > Good Day group!
                                > I am tasked with registration for our University of Scouting. I am in
                                > search of an Access database designed for PowWows, Universities and
                                > the like. If you have such a critter and don't mind passing it
                                > along, it would be HUGELY appreciated. I am Access-challenged. I
                                > have attempted to do this in Excel but it becomes too cumbersome.
                                >
                                > Ideally, it would register the attendees, keep track of staff, do
                                > course selection and maybe even print an attendee card.
                                >
                                > Thanks to anyone who can help
                                >
                                > YiS,
                                >
                                > Chris Finnegan
                                > Asst. Council Training Chairman