Merit Badge Counselor Limitations

  • masterofscouts540
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
      I just wanted to ask everyones opinion about limiting merit badge
      counselors. What do you think about a council limiting the amount of
      merit badges one person can counsel? Some limit counselors to 5
      others 7. What do you think? The National Advancement book says
      there is no limit on the number of merit badges one counselor can
      counsel. I dont particulary like limiting counselors and our council
      is trying to limit counselors to 7.
    • Rick Rambo
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2002
        Our Council has a *recommendation* of no more than five badges counseled for
        any one boy by the same counselor. It is a recommendation because National
        has no limit. We try to sell it to the leaders by pointing out that it does
        a dis-service to the boy to limit the opportunity for him to have more adult
        contact and experience in setting up and keeping appointments with various
        individuals.

        **********
        Now more than ever -
        America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
        **********
        Rick Rambo
        e-mail: rickram.geo@...

        FAX: (561) 673-0437
        http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
        http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
        AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2002
          Heart of America Council limits each counselor to 6, but our brand new
          Advancement Chair in our brand new District is about to take them to task
          over it, much to the chagrin of our brand new DE!

          > I just wanted to ask everyones opinion about limiting merit badge
          > counselors. What do you think about a council limiting the amount of
          > merit badges one person can counsel? Some limit counselors to 5
          > others 7. What do you think? The National Advancement book says
          > there is no limit on the number of merit badges one counselor can
          > counsel. I dont particulary like limiting counselors and our council
          > is trying to limit counselors to 7.

        • Dave Loomis
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 5, 2002
            I am not in favor of limiting counselors, in fact you cant do so legally,
            but there are only so many subjects in which a person can be expert, or at
            least good enough to teach the subject.

            Dave
            Historic District
            MBC Database Manager

            masterofscouts540 wrote:

            > I just wanted to ask everyones opinion about limiting merit badge
            > counselors. What do you think about a council limiting the amount of
            > merit badges one person can counsel? Some limit counselors to 5
            > others 7. What do you think? The National Advancement book says
            > there is no limit on the number of merit badges one counselor can
            > counsel. I dont particulary like limiting counselors and our council
            > is trying to limit counselors to 7.

            Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
            1094 Woodbury Ave. (603) 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
          • Ted Burton
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 5, 2002
              At 07:00 +0000 on 01/03/2002, masterofscouts540 spoke about
              [Scouter_T] Merit Badge Counselor Limitations thusly:

              >I just wanted to ask everyones opinion about limiting merit badge
              >counselors. What do you think about a council limiting the amount
              >of merit badges one person can counsel? <snip>

              I took you at your word about "everyone" because otherwise I might
              have shut up.

              My experience is as a Scoutmaster in the past, District Commissioner
              and Assistant Scoutmaster now, as well as now Charter Organization
              Rep for a cub pack; Wood Badge trained. Vigil member of OA. There,
              I've tooted my horn. My perception of the best way to approach this
              question without regard to whether you have to do it this way or not,
              is as follows.

              Both with respect to Boards of Review and Merit Badge Counselors, I
              have long favored involving as many adults as i can. Part of the
              training we are giving Scouts is a certain amount of self-confidence
              and of showing initiative. Requiring the boy to call a total
              stranger, to find another Scout to go with him to avoid one on one,
              and to organize himself with the other Scout to get it done, are all
              valuable training. Fifty years ago (wow) when I was a Scout, I was
              very reluctant to call strangers and ask favors. It took quite some
              time to drill that out of my head, and to become comfortable with
              calling a stranger when I had a legitimate reason to do so. It is
              still a good idea to put Scouts through this, and for that reason if
              for no other.

              When my elder son went for his first job interview ever, he came home
              with the job in his pocket. I asked him how the the interview went,
              and he sort of shrugged said that it was no worse than Boards of
              Review. That's some of what we are after.
              --
            • Tom Pardue
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 6, 2002
                For my opinion I went through scouting in the mid
                1960's and went to sevral merit badge counselors
                outside the troop environment. I learned to contact
                an adult and get the merit badge work done. To me
                there are too many times when a Scout gets one adult
                in the troop to do many merit badges. This looses
                some of the reason for having a diverse counselor
                group. The limit should be at the troop level to
                understand why the scouts go to a variety of people
                and experts in the community. It is part of the
                learning progression for advancement. By allowing "no
                limit" many troops will "factory" Eagles without the
                scouts learning any skills for later in life. I don't
                sign merit badge cards for any scout wanting to go to
                a "merit badge university". Review the front of the
                merit badge pamplet and go back a few years for some
                of the old literature on why the program is structured
                to get the scouts into the community.

                Just my opinion and I think I gained from the
                experience.

                Tom Pardue
                SM Troop 548
                Sioux District
                Alamo Area Council
                --- masterofscouts540 <masterofscouts540@...>
                wrote:
                > I just wanted to ask everyones opinion about
                > limiting merit badge
                > counselors. What do you think about a council
                > limiting the amount of
                > merit badges one person can counsel? Some limit
                > counselors to 5
                > others 7. What do you think? The National
                > Advancement book says
                > there is no limit on the number of merit badges one
                > counselor can
                > counsel. I dont particulary like limiting
                > counselors and our council
                > is trying to limit counselors to 7.

                Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
              • Ken Todd
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 6, 2002
                  This is the first time I have heard of a Council limiting the number of
                  Merit Badges that an individual can be a Merit Badge Counselor for. I
                  hope that number is large enough for all of the Merit Badges within
                  each of the areas at Summer Camp (lol).

                  I can see the position of Rick's Council position of wanting youth to
                  visit more than one Merit Badge Counselor to earn their Eagle. But,
                  you want to take the Council to task on the number of MBs that one MBC
                  is able to counsel.

                  Yours in Scouting,
                  Ken Todd
                  NE-CS-59 Beaver

                  ... What do you think about a council limiting the amount of merit
                  badges one person can counsel? ... The National Advancement book says
                  there is no limit on the number of merit badges one counselor can
                  counsel....

                  Message: 12

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 6, 2002
                    I think that I had not explained well enough. What our council asks (not
                    requires) is that any one counselor only counsel no more than five badges
                    for any one boy. A counselor can be signed up for five, twenty or more
                    badges - if he is qualified - but we ask a VOLUNTARY limit on the
                    relationship between one boy and one counselor. This can help prevent a
                    troop from having two or three 'counselors' for all the boys in the troop.

                    I hope I explained a little better this time

                    Rick

                    **********

                    Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:42:39 -0800
                    From: "Rick Rambo" <krrambo@...>

                    Our Council has a *recommendation* of no more than five badges
                    counseled for any one boy by the same counselor....

                  • E S Meyers
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
                      At 07:00 AM 1/3/02 +0000, you wrote:
                      I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion about limiting merit badge
                      counselors. What do you think about a council limiting the amount of
                      merit badges one person can counsel?

                      It's kinda like radar detectors.
                      You either follow the rules or decide that you are above the rules.

                      I favor limiting the counselor to what he or she can prove they know.
                      It is no more correct to put an arbitrary limit on an experienced
                      counselor than it is to let a Scoutmaster "finish counseling" any merit
                      badge started at summer camp.

                      Steve Meyers
                      Troop 133 Advancement Chairman
                      Great Smoky Mountain Council
                      PS: I don't have a radar detector and don't want my kids to get one.
                    • Trotter
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
                        It is a hard call. I think a better rule would be to
                        limit the number of merit badges each boy can earn
                        from one counselor. This would meet any objections
                        that the council may have about the counselors and the
                        boys would be exposed to more counselors.

                        Mat Trotter

                        wrote:
                        > I just wanted to ask everyones opinion about
                        > limiting merit badge
                        > counselors. What do you think about a council
                        > limiting the amount of
                        > merit badges one person can counsel? Some limit
                        > counselors to 5
                        > others 7. What do you think? The National
                        > Advancement book says
                        > there is no limit on the number of merit badges one
                        > counselor can
                        > counsel. I dont particulary like limiting
                        > counselors and our council
                        > is trying to limit counselors to 7.

                        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
                      • Kent Wolfe
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
                          I've heard our council (Cornhusker) has a rule about how many MBs one can
                          counsel, but I've never seen it in writing. As SM, I track the counselors
                          I've assigned for each Scout. If the Scout has worked with the same adult
                          on more than 2 or 3 MBs already, I have them work with a different adult. Of
                          course this doesn't always work when the troop only has one MB counselor for
                          a badge.

                          This approach supports the "adult association" method. It also allows me to
                          not assign counselors who I've heard might not be requiring Scouts to fully
                          complete requirements.

                          Kent Wolfe
                          Troop 12 SM
                          Lincoln, NE
                          A Buffalo at C-14-01

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002

                            You Said:
                            It's kinda like radar detectors.
                            You either follow the rules or decide that you are above the rules.

                            That is my point exactly the National BSA Advancement book states
                            that their is no limit on the amount of merit badges one individual
                            can counsel or how many they can counsel for one scout. This is in
                            the National Advancement Guidebook the newest version. If the
                            National Council has this policy I dont think a council should be
                            able to change it. Maybe later I will get into the full story but
                            the council is saying they plan to start limiting counselors to 7.
                            What about people who are proficient at 10 or 12 badges. It is
                            really easy to be able to counsel many badges. If you are an avid
                            collector then their is three collecting badges. One for coins,
                            stamps, and collections. That only leaves you with four more out of
                            119 badges. I'm not saying let one person counsel 50 badges but out
                            of the 119 badges their is 15 that I can counsel my self. All they
                            are doing is taking away from their merit badge counselor pool, and
                            possibly making scouts go farther away to find a counselor. By the
                            way I live in a rural county with a very limited amount of counselors
                            in our county. Thanks for listening.
                          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 8, 2002
                              > As SM, I track the counselors
                              > I've assigned for each Scout. If the Scout has worked with the same adult
                              > on more than 2 or 3 MBs already, I have them work with a different adult.
                              > Of
                              > course this doesn't always work when the troop only has one MB counselor
                              > for
                              > a badge.

                              I've never heard of anyone 'assigning' counselors to scouts. My
                              district has a list of MB counselors which we have available for
                              the boys. It has phone numbers and addresses. We usually let them
                              know if we are familiar with any of the people on the list. The
                              adults in my troop have NOT signed up to ensure we have all the
                              'eagle required' MB's covered. To me it is appalling that some
                              MB counselors will tell a boy that they only counsel boys in their
                              own troop.

                              Pete Mullaney