Re: Introduction and short question

  • james_francisco
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
      --- In scouter_t@y..., "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]"
      <mullaney@p...> wrote:
      > Ronald,
      > Wasn't Train-the-Trainer renamed?
      Yes, even though it's now the Trainer Development Conference,
      everyone still slips up and calls it train-the-trainer. I know that
      I do. Years of habit are hard to break.

      > Is there a problem getting someone to run an approved Sunday
      > service?

      There is a specific clause in the Scouting Handbook of the Church of
      Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that states with respect to
      training, "however, Church leaders should not participate in Scout
      training such as Basic Training or Wood Badge on the Sabbath." The
      handbook further states, "keeping the Sabbath day holy is a
      commandment of the Lord and the practice of the Church. The Church
      does not approve of hiking and camping trips on Sunday. Scouts and
      other youth groups should not travel to or from camps or youth
      conferences on Sunday." That is why Ronald is asking for information
      about christian sabbath observant training courses.

      Best Wishes,

      James Francisco
      Vice-Chairman, Klahaya District
      Mt. Baker Council
    • james_francisco
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
        Ronald,

        Western Region has lot's of weekend and week-long Wood Badge courses
        that don't run on Sunday. Check with www.woodbadge.org for
        contacts. One of the points of making Wood Badge six days instead of
        seven was so that the only courses that need to run on Sunday are
        Jewish or Islamic observant courses.

        --- In scouter_t@y..., "Ronald Ramsey" <LDS_Scouter@m...> wrote:
        > I feel that there would be a great number of us that would attend
        Woodbadge if it not involve missing Church on Sunday. So my question
        is , does anyone out West have a schedule that is set up with an
        extra weekend without missing Sunday services?

        > Ronald Ramsey
        > Charter Org Rep
        > 49 Pack,Troop,Venture
        > Blue Ridge Mts Council
        > Roanoke,VaGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :
        http://explorer.msn.com

      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
          Interesting, I wonder if the LDS Scouters on my course got
          special permission?
          > ----------
          > From: james_francisco
          >

          > > Is there a problem getting someone to run an approved Sunday
          > > service?
          >
          > There is a specific clause in the Scouting Handbook of the Church of
          > Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that states with respect to
          > training, "however, Church leaders should not participate in Scout
          > training such as Basic Training or Wood Badge on the Sabbath." The
          > handbook further states, "keeping the Sabbath day holy is a
          > commandment of the Lord and the practice of the Church. The Church
          > does not approve of hiking and camping trips on Sunday. Scouts and
          > other youth groups should not travel to or from camps or youth
          > conferences on Sunday." That is why Ronald is asking for information
          > about christian sabbath observant training courses.
          >
          > Best Wishes,
          >
          > James Francisco
          > Vice-Chairman, Klahaya District
          > Mt. Baker Council

        • Rick Rambo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
            From: james_francisco [mailto:res076dz@...] wrote:
            >Western Region has lot's of weekend and week-long Wood Badge courses
            >that don't run on Sunday. Check with www.woodbadge.org for
            >contacts.

            Cascade Pacific Council (Portland, OR) is holding three courses this year.
            The 1st in may is two weekends including Memorial day so participants need
            only miss one day of work (assumes M-F Schedule). The 2nd is in
            August/September again 'weekends', but is Thursday through Saturday. The
            third is in October and is a Week-long course (Monday through Saturday). Go
            http://www.cpcbsa.org/cpcbsa/council/activities/training/woodbadge/index.htm
            for more information or an application.

            This comes after successfully holding two courses this September - one of
            which was a Thursday through Saturday course.

            Rick

            **********
            Now more than ever -
            America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
            Rick Rambo
            e-mail: rickram.geo@...

            FAX: (561) 673-0437
            http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
            http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
            AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1
          • Jillscout@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
              Don't forget the Seventh Day Adventists!