Introduction and short question

  • Ronald Ramsey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2002
      On the Scouting side, I'm the Charter Organization Rep. for Quality Units, Pack, Troop and Venture 49 of Roanoke Second Ward of the LDS Church. On the District side, I'm part of the Training Committee, but my first love is putting on our District Camp-o-Rees, with training for the Adult Leaders while the boys are competeing in their Scout skills. At the Council level, I sit on the Silver Beaver Committee and Risk Management;Safety Committee. My wife and I own and operate a private swim club and am with the local water ski club. In this direction, I'm a Water Safety Instructor with Red Cross. Have taught Cub Scout Pow-wows, University of Scouting, etc. This weekend I will be teaching the New Essentials and Scoutmaster Basics on Power Point. This is all new to me(guess I'll get use to Power Point).My question for the group is I missed Church to take Woodbadge(we are one of the LDS Troops that leave on Saturday night, since we don't travel on Sundays) because I felt like I needed this Training, with our Bishop's permission. I have been asked to Staff Woodbadge but it would involve missing Sundays again. I feel that there would be a great number of us that would attend Woodbadge if it not involve missing Church on Sunday. The Chair of our Woodbadge Committee said he would like to have the LDS Train-the-Trainers(most of the T-t-T are LDS) if we can come up with a syllabus without Sunday, he would ask for an extra weekend at the Scout Reservation. He has already said he isn't interested in all day Friday and we did not have enough to sign up for the week long course the last time we tried it. So my question is , does anyone out West have a schedule that is set up with an extra weekend without missing Sunday services?

      Ronald Ramsey
      Charter Org Rep
      49 Pack,Troop,Venture
      Blue Ridge Mts Council
      Roanoke,VaGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

    • emb021
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
        --- In scouter_t@y..., "Ronald Ramsey" <LDS_Scouter@m...> wrote:

        > Ronald Ramsey
        > Charter Org Rep
        > 49 Pack,Troop,Venture
        ^^^^^^^
        Uh, I'm not familiar with this kind of unit. Is this some new
        LDS-unit?

        Michael Brown
        Venturing Crews #1838 & 2564
      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
          Ronald,
          Not sure if it's because I'm not LDS or other reasons
          that I don't understand your problems.
          Wasn't Train-the-Trainer renamed? I took the latest version
          this past spring and it was a one day course. (My council ran it
          on a Saturday and I think it ran from 8 AM to 4 PM.)
          When I took Wood Badge there was a questionnaire you had to
          fill out stating any special needs. I noted that I desired to
          attend Mass (Catholic) on Sundays. They arranged for a priest
          (I think he was a four beader) to say Mass on Sundays. (I don't
          think I was the only one with the request.) The LDS people on
          my course had their own services on Sunday. Is there a problem
          getting someone to run an approved Sunday service?

          Pete Mullaney
        • james_francisco
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
            --- In scouter_t@y..., "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]"
            <mullaney@p...> wrote:
            > Ronald,
            > Wasn't Train-the-Trainer renamed?
            Yes, even though it's now the Trainer Development Conference,
            everyone still slips up and calls it train-the-trainer. I know that
            I do. Years of habit are hard to break.

            > Is there a problem getting someone to run an approved Sunday
            > service?

            There is a specific clause in the Scouting Handbook of the Church of
            Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that states with respect to
            training, "however, Church leaders should not participate in Scout
            training such as Basic Training or Wood Badge on the Sabbath." The
            handbook further states, "keeping the Sabbath day holy is a
            commandment of the Lord and the practice of the Church. The Church
            does not approve of hiking and camping trips on Sunday. Scouts and
            other youth groups should not travel to or from camps or youth
            conferences on Sunday." That is why Ronald is asking for information
            about christian sabbath observant training courses.

            Best Wishes,

            James Francisco
            Vice-Chairman, Klahaya District
            Mt. Baker Council
          • james_francisco
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
              Ronald,

              Western Region has lot's of weekend and week-long Wood Badge courses
              that don't run on Sunday. Check with www.woodbadge.org for
              contacts. One of the points of making Wood Badge six days instead of
              seven was so that the only courses that need to run on Sunday are
              Jewish or Islamic observant courses.

              James Francisco
              Vice-Chairman, Klahaya District
              Mt. Baker Council

              --- In scouter_t@y..., "Ronald Ramsey" <LDS_Scouter@m...> wrote:
              > I feel that there would be a great number of us that would attend
              Woodbadge if it not involve missing Church on Sunday. So my question

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
                Interesting, I wonder if the LDS Scouters on my course got
                special permission?
                > ----------
                > From: james_francisco
                >

                > > Is there a problem getting someone to run an approved Sunday
                > > service?
                >
                > There is a specific clause in the Scouting Handbook of the Church of
                > Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that states with respect to
                > training, "however, Church leaders should not participate in Scout
                > training such as Basic Training or Wood Badge on the Sabbath." The
                > handbook further states, "keeping the Sabbath day holy is a
                > commandment of the Lord and the practice of the Church. The Church
                > does not approve of hiking and camping trips on Sunday. Scouts and
                > other youth groups should not travel to or from camps or youth
                > conferences on Sunday." That is why Ronald is asking for information
                > about christian sabbath observant training courses.
                >
                > Best Wishes,
                >
                > James Francisco
                > Vice-Chairman, Klahaya District
                > Mt. Baker Council

              • Rick Rambo
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
                  From: james_francisco [mailto:res076dz@...] wrote:
                  >Western Region has lot's of weekend and week-long Wood Badge courses
                  >that don't run on Sunday. Check with www.woodbadge.org for
                  >contacts.

                  Cascade Pacific Council (Portland, OR) is holding three courses this year.
                  The 1st in may is two weekends including Memorial day so participants need
                  only miss one day of work (assumes M-F Schedule). The 2nd is in
                  August/September again 'weekends', but is Thursday through Saturday. The
                  third is in October and is a Week-long course (Monday through Saturday). Go
                  http://www.cpcbsa.org/cpcbsa/council/activities/training/woodbadge/index.htm
                  for more information or an application.

                  This comes after successfully holding two courses this September - one of
                  which was a Thursday through Saturday course.

                  Rick

                  **********
                  Now more than ever -
                  America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
                  Rick Rambo
                  e-mail: rickram.geo@...

                  FAX: (561) 673-0437
                  http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
                  http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
                  AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1
                • Jillscout@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
                    Don't forget the Seventh Day Adventists!