Need some help

  • James Gallo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      Does anyone have any links to a "Merit Badge Counselor Training" guideline or syllabus? I saw one somewhere but cannot remember where. we're doing a Big merit badge midway in the early spring and I want to lay some ground rules when we have the staff meeting. At some previous ones it seemed that some counselors were giving them away by the end of the day, or forsaking some requirements based on misinformation. We've got close to 50 counselors lined up and expect upwards of 500 kids, I want to ensure every counselor understands their role and obligation to the boys.

      Thanks in advance.

      PS: Don't forget the GNYC Pow-Wow, Feb. 2, Fordham University!!

      James Gallo
      Brooklyn Council
      NY

    • Rick Rambo
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
        Try these:
        http://usscouts.org/boyscouts/mbc_training.html
        http://usscouts.org/boyscouts/mbcounselorform.doc
        http://usscouts.org/advance/docs/mb_training_handout.doc
        http://www.usscouts.org/boyscouts/MBCounseling.html
        http://usscouts.org/advance/docs/mb_training.ppt
        http://www.cpcbsa.org/cpcbsa/council/forms/mb_counselor_info.pdf

        I hope that this gives you a good Start!

        Rick

        **********
        Now more than ever -
        America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
        **********
        Rick Rambo
        e-mail: rickram.geo@...

        FAX: (561) 673-0437
        http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
        http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
        AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

        Does anyone have any links to a "Merit Badge Counselor Training" guideline
        or syllabus? I saw one somewhere but cannot remember where. we're doing a
        Big merit badge midway in the early spring and I want to lay some ground
        rules when we have the staff meeting. At some previous ones it seemed that
        some counselors were giving them away by the end of the day, or forsaking
        some requirements based on misinformation. We've got close to 50 counselors
        lined up and expect upwards of 500 kids, I want to ensure every counselor
        understands their role and obligation to the boys.

        Thanks in advance.

        PS: Don't forget the GNYC Pow-Wow, Feb. 2, Fordham University!!

        James Gallo
        Brooklyn Council
        NY

      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
          A few years ago at a POW-WOW meeting I suggested that they add
          a course on merit badge counseling. A friend of mine taught it
          but he didn't have any official syllabus. He handed out a
          pamphlet, which I seem to remember as being generic. For the
          most part the class was a group discussion. This was helpful
          but not really what I was looking for. I'm not sure if we
          still offer this course. Anyhow if you find a syllabus please
          share it here.

          Pete Mullaney
          Patriots' Path Council, N.J.

          > ----------

        • emb021
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
            --- In scouter_t@y..., "James Gallo" <James@B...> wrote:
            > Does anyone have any links to a "Merit Badge Counselor Training"
            guideline or syllabus? I saw one somewhere but cannot remember where.
            we're doing a Big merit badge midway in the early spring and I want to
            lay some ground rules when we have the staff meeting. At some previous
            ones it seemed that some counselors were giving them away by the end
            of the day, or forsaking some requirements based on misinformation.
            We've got close to 50 counselors lined up and expect upwards of 500
            kids, I want to ensure every counselor understands their role and
            obligation to the boys.

            Here are the current pamphlets from National on MB Counseling:

            Merit Badge Counseling #34520
            Guide for Merit Badge Counselors #34532A
            Worksheet for Building MB Counselor List #4439

            Am not certain which of the first two might have training info.

            Michael Brown
            SWFL Council, BSA
          • Judy Yeager
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
              Peter Mullaney wrote: <snip> Anyhow if you find a syllabus please share it
              here.

              I have in front of me a BSA document (#34542, 2000 printing) called "Merit
              Badge Counselor Orientation, Supplemental Adult Leader Training." It should
              be available through your local council or national supply.

              Judy Yeager
              District Training Chair
              Northern Tier District
              Heart of America Council