Firestarters

  • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2001
      Roy Fisher wrote:

> [...]
      Although the cotton (non-synthetic) variety, especially from a load of towels,
      seems to work better for me, and like paper egg cartons, doesn't produce toxic
      smoke.
      This time of year you can also get the paraffin and sawdust "fire logs" that
      also make good emergency/wet weather fire starters.<<<<<

      Our troop's chartering organization, a church, saves all of their used candles for us. We have a large trash bag full of candles to melt down next month; 14 dozen firestarters will last us two years. I use the woodchips from cutting firewood with a chain saw and dryer lint in the egg cartons.

      The commercial "fire logs" can be a good LNT fire; no residue and you don't deplete the natural firewood supply.

      Larry Ohs
      Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 12
      Arborland District Training Committee
      Cornhusker Council, Lincoln, Nebraska
      "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

    • emb021
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
        --- In scouter_t@y..., "Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law" <lohs@i...>
        wrote:

        > Our troop's chartering organization, a church, saves all of their
        used candles for us. We have a large trash bag full of candles to melt
        down next month; 14 dozen firestarters will last us two years. I use
        the woodchips from cutting firewood with a chain saw and dryer lint in
        the egg cartons.

        I have been told a good source for used candles are floral shops and
        the like. All those candles used at weddings aren't reused, so if you
        don't care, you can get them free or near so.

        Michael Brown
        SWFL Council, BSA