Re: Powder Horn For Boy Scout Leaders Too

  • emb021
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2001
      --- In scouter_t@y..., "Wendell Brown" <wbrown@a...> wrote:
      > Our council is offering it's first Powder Horn course and I have
      been
      > amazed by the number of Boy Scout leaders that think it is ONLY for
      > Venturing leaders. I wonder if Powder Horn is being "sold" wrong -
      > instead of being presented as a "Venturing Leader Resource" course,
      I'm
      > starting to think that it should be sold as a "Boy Scout / Venturing
      > High Adventure Sampler" program. People seem to be hesitant to sign
      up
      > for the first but are more willing to sign up for the latter.

      Well, the first line of the PH Fact Sheet clearly states that the
      course is for both Venturing leaders and Boy Scout leaders. The Powder
      Horn website has always stated this as well. If some are not selling
      their course that way, its their fault. I do hope that Boy Scout
      leaders don't overwell the Venturing leaders that should take the
      course.

      Some comments:

      National really needs to update the Leadership Training Committee book
      (#34169). I was hoping the updated one they published in 2001 would
      include PH, but it didn't. Some people don't view PH as a 'real'
      course because its not listed there. Both Powder Horn and the Nature
      of Leadership Trek courses need to be added, along with SEAL. That
      said, would be nice if we saw *something* in Scouting magazine about
      the course.

      When PH was first being talking about, they did say it was going to be
      open to Boy Scout leaders. So that is not an after affect. However,
      some also said it was the replacement for the scoutcraft skills
      removed from WB. Not so. To a degree the Introduction to Outdoor
      Skills covers them, but some have tried to claim that PH is the
      "Advanced Outdoor Skills" course, which its not. At present there is
      no such course, except something they appear to be doing at Philmont.

      Michael Brown
      Venturing Crews #1838 & #2564
      (who has yet to have the chance to take PH)