Re: [Cub-Scout-Talk] Virus Warning

  • Sean Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2001
      I should add that even if you do have antivirus software installed, it may not protect you. The operation of this virus actually deleted NAV 2001 on an infected machine here. Current LiveUpdate files were in place on the machine. The virus attempts to remove or move several popular antivirus and firewall products on an infected machine. If they cannot be deleted, it writes to a startup file so that on restart or reboot the removal is accomplished.

      It will also propagate through ICQ. If mIRC is installed, the infected machine can be slaved to take part in a denial of service attack on your network.

      In all, a sophisticated and dangerous virus, but beautifully conceived!

      Our infected machine was running IE6/Outlook Express, and the mail was opened, but I suspect that if you are running a vulnerable version of Internet Explorer or Outlook, you may be susceptible to a known vulnerability of the preview window in Outlook, which allows a script to execute on a machine if the message is previewed.

      However, if you're running UNIX, LINUX or Mac, you're safe.

      Sean Scott
      Senior Database Administrator
      e-Perception Technologies
      27555 Ynez Road, Suite 203