Intro

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 9 11:20 PM
      First of all, thanks to the moderator for putting this list together. I
      think we can all learn a lot sharing information.

      By way of introduction, I have been involved in Scouting for 16 or 17
      years and am the proud mother of 2 Eagles. I held most jobs in the Pack
      at one time or another except CM and Treasurer. I have served on the
      District Training Team and have staffed Cub RT, Day Camp, Webelos Woods,
      Camporee, DOE, TTT, Commish College, WLOE, DOE, etc. I presently serve
      as District Training Chair for Santa Fe Trail District in the Heart of
      America Council, a large "super district" which is about to be split
      into four smaller districts. This will present some unique challenges
      in realigning training, especially in this time frame when training
      itself is all being realigned.

      I proudly wear my Cub Scout Wood Badge beads and am currently working my
      ticket from Boy Scout Wood Badge. I had the honor of serving on staff
      for one of the regional pilot courses of 21st Century Wood Badge and am
      currently involved in staff development for our Council Wood Badge next
      summer.

      I am scheduled to present a session on Training Adult Leaders at our
      Commish College next month and have asked the Council professional who
      oversees training to help me obtain the latest information available for
      that project. I will be glad to share whatever I learn from this
      experience.

      Looking forward to sharing information and resources with others who are
      involved in Training.

      YiS,
      Judy Yeager
      NC-CS-10 Bobwhite
      C-29-99 Antelope
      Staffer - CR-Y2K-X3, C-10-01
      but best of all - Proud Mom of 2 Eagle Scouts
    • CWall52203@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 13 8:23 AM
        Hello from someone with "mixed blood"! I am a Girl Scout leader and trainer
        here in GS of Buckeye Trails Council in Dayton, OH as well as a registered
        Merit Badge Counselor with my son's Boy Scout troop in Tecumseh Council.
        (What color does tan and green make, anyway? You could probably throw in some
        blue, too, since I am a former Air Force officer--LOL!)

        Saw the reference to this group on a GS trainers list I belong to and thought
        this would be a wonderful way to help me understand more about the Boy
        Scouting side of my world.

        BTW, hubby Eric is a registered Scouter about to embark on his Woodbadge
        course. Any thoughts I could pass along to him?

        Yours in Scouting,

        Carol "Scoutcat" Wallace
      • Iverson
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 15 6:28 PM
          I am the new Training Chairman here in Fort Clatsop District, as of Feb 7,
          2001. Like everyone else we are feeling our way regarding the changes in
          adult leader training. I hope to glean a lot of good information from this
          group.

          Double Beaver, W-CS 36 & WEM-492-00
          Vicky Iverson

          They May Not Remember Exactly What We Did,
          Or What We Said
          But They Will always Remember
          How We Made Them Feel

          iverson@...

        • doublelope@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 17 3:36 PM
            Hi...my names Linda Goff, and I'm the Council Cub Scout Training
            Chairman for Great Smoky Mountain Council, headquartered in
            Knoxville, TN. I've been involved with Scouting for 18 years and
            have been training for 15 of those years. I've been on my District
            training committee, as well as chairman for our district training,
            and have also had a go at Roundtable commissioner. Training is what
            I love to do, which is probably why I'm still doing Scouts, even
            though I no longer have a son in Scouting. (3 boys, with the
            youngest being 21.) I've done both Cub Scout and Boy Scout Woodbadge
            (antelope for both) and have also served on staff for both courses.
            I've also served on National Camp School staff (camping being my
            other Scouting love.)
            I'm looking forward to being a part of this group. I love exchanging
            ideas with fellow Scout trainers. I never cease to be amazed at the
            creative way training is being done. Training a new leader is so
            rewarding. Think about it...with what you teach these leaders, you
            indirectly touch the lives of hundreds of kids. Pretty awesome,
            don't you think???

            Linda Goff
            Antelope SE-CS-15 & SE-497
          • Steve Meyers
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 8, 2001
              Hi,

              I have been receiving messages for several weeks.
              I just today found out that I had subscribed to the group without joining
              the group.
              So, the past fifteen or so attempts to send email were returned with an
              error message.
              Somewhat frustrating!

              Anyway, I am Steve Meyers, Pellissippi District Cub Scout Training
              Cooridinator, Great Smoky Mountain Council.
              I have been involved with Cub Scouting for about 17 years, but have only
              been Training Coordinator for a few years.

              Don't always assume that the person with the problem is doing something wrong!
              They may not be aware of the weird way you have set up the thing they are
              having trouble with.

              Steve Meyers
            • tallbuff@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 11, 2001
                Hi All, Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is
                Dennis Kampa, and in addition to a number of wonderful Scouting
                activies and opportunities, I was the Task Force Leader for the BALOO
                syllabus. At the risk of opening my mailbox up to be inundated, I am
                willing to answer any questions regarding the syllabus or the Pack
                Camping Program. I am also interested in any constructive criticism
                you might have to offer....

                Dennis Kampa
                Council Commissioner
                Southern Sierra Council
              • Judy Yeager
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 11, 2001
                  Dennis -

                  You are certainly a BRAVE man! Thanks for your unselfish offer.

                  Judy Yeager

                  tallbuff@... wrote:

                  > Hi All, Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My
                  > name is
                  > Dennis Kampa, and in addition to a number of wonderful Scouting
                  >
                  > activies and opportunities, I was the Task Force Leader for the
                  > BALOO
                  > syllabus. At the risk of opening my mailbox up to be inundated,
                  > I am
                  > willing to answer any questions regarding the syllabus or the
                  > Pack
                  > Camping Program. I am also interested in any constructive
                  > criticism
                  > you might have to offer....
                  >
                  > Dennis Kampa
                  > Council Commissioner
                  > Southern Sierra Council
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >
                  > [Image]Register

                  > Service.
                • Lloyd Solis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 11, 2001
                    BRAVE ? Foolhardy is more like it - If the rest of you aggravate him as much
                    as I have over the last 6-9 months about BALOO, well................ at
                    lease Dennis is smart enough to be using a 'disposable' yahoo e-mail address
                    here.
                    Lloyd Solis

                    Judy Yeager wrote:

                    > Dennis -
                    >
                    > You are certainly a BRAVE man! Thanks for your unselfish offer.
                    >
                    > Judy Yeager
                    >
                    > tallbuff@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi All, Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My
                    > > name is
                    > > Dennis Kampa, and in addition to a number of wonderful Scouting
                    > >
                    > > activies and opportunities, I was the Task Force Leader for the
                    > > BALOO
                    > > syllabus. At the risk of opening my mailbox up to be inundated,
                    > > I am
                    > > willing to answer any questions regarding the syllabus or the
                    > > Pack
                    > > Camping Program. I am also interested in any constructive
                    > > criticism
                    > > you might have to offer....
                    > >
                    > > Dennis Kampa
                    > > Council Commissioner
                    > > Southern Sierra Council
                    > >
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    > >
                    > > [Image]Register

                    > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
                    > >
                    > > Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

                    > > Service.

                  • Dick Kroll
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 11, 2001
                      Hi,

                      I have been reading through the discussions here for about a week or so
                      and it's about time for an introduction. My name is Dick Kroll and I am
                      the Council Training Chair for the Milwaukee County Council in
                      Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I have been training in my council since 1988 and
                      at one time or another been a Scoutmaster, District Training Chair, a
                      Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner, and Wood Badge Course Director plus a
                      few other positions.

                      My council is suffering through the same kinds of ambiguities that the
                      rest of you are facing with the lack of details regarding the new
                      training plans which should be announced in the next few months. I
                      think it's great to have a group like this to help those of who are
                      responsible for delivering the product so we have a chance to discuss
                      common problems.

                      One comment regarding what others have said about TDC and the Training
                      Methods presentation. My council presented this was weekend and I was
                      really impressed with how well the syllabus was put together. I did the
                      training methods presentation and found it to be a real challenge - even
                      with help from other staffers. My take on this presentation was that it
                      is not designed to get into a lot of depth for many of these methods.
                      12 methods in 1 hour barely allows you to spend 5 minutes per method.
                      Hopefully, the participants will already been exposed to many of them
                      from the other presentations throughout the day..

                      Dick Kroll
                      rkroll@...

                      Training Chair,
                      Milwaukee County Council
                    • Ruanne Crumpley
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 11, 2001
                        Hey Dennis! I just got my copy of BALOO. I think it looks like great
                        fun and I can hardly wait to put on my first one. Thanks for all your
                        work!

                        Ruanne Crumpley
                        Gateway District Cub Training Chair
                        Denver Area Council
                      • Dave Loomis
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 11, 2001
                          I suspect this is an area that you cover as best you can and give lots
                          of handouts on the various methods. You could easily spend a couple
                          hours on Overhead Projectors, Computer Presentations, and some of the
                          other newer methods.

                          Dave

                          Dick Kroll wrote:

                          > 12 methods in 1 hour barely allows you to spend 5 minutes per method.
                          > Hopefully, the participants will already been exposed to many of them
                          > from the other presentations throughout the day..
                          >
                          > Dick Kroll

                          To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click
                          on the mailto: address below

                          Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                          164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                          Greenland, NH 03840
                          Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                          possit materiari?
                        • randywoo@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 14, 2001
                            Happy Easter Everyone!

                            I'm the Council Commissioner for the Attakapas Council in Alexandria,
                            Louisiana. We're a small council so everyone tends to wear three
                            hats. Unfortunately, this means we don't have a great deal of depth
                            of people to draw from for training.

                            This year we had all three districts make Quality District and the
                            Council made Quality Council with a 5% increase in traditional boy
                            membership.

                            I've been to Philmont twice. I attended Commissioner Administration
                            and OA Advisor training. I've had to cancel out of Woodbadge due to
                            job. But I have a free week this year if anyone is doing a week long
                            new Woodbadge course.

                            I've served as a leader in three councils: Andrew Jackson, Jackson,
                            MS and Gulf Coast Council in Corpus Christi, TX and now the
                            Attakapas Council in Central Louisiana. I was a Boy Scout in Chicago
                            and am able to entertain leaders at campfires here in the deep South
                            with stories of the Klondike Derbies. I'm not sure that they really
                            believe me when I tell them about this winter event.

                            I began as my son's Webelos Den Leader. Then was Cubmaster for the
                            Pack of 100 boys. Started a new troop and then did the Commissioner
                            thing.

                            If you want to know more and see my mug, try
                            http://members.aol.com/randywoo/bsahis/whoami.htm

                            This year, the SE asked me to take on organizing the training in the
                            council. I have the new kit in hand.

                            Thank you to Dave Loomis for recruiting me to this list.

                            Randy Worcester
                            Council Commish
                            Attakapas Council
                            Alexandria, Louisiana

                            The Ultimate Pinewood Derby Site
                            http://members.aol.com/randywoo/pine
                          • Dee Dee
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 14, 2001
                              > If you want to know more and see my mug, try
                              > http://members.aol.com/randywoo/bsahis/whoami.htm
                              >
                              > Randy Worcester
                              > Council Commish
                              > Attakapas Council
                              > Alexandria, Louisiana
                              >
                              > The Ultimate Pinewood Derby Site
                              > http://members.aol.com/randywoo/pine

                              Randy,

                              Welcome to the scouter_t site! When I saw your introduction and the
                              address invitation to see your site it hit me that I've seen your
                              address many times before. We promote your Pinewood Derby site on Cub-
                              Scout-Talk in the bookmarks section. It will be great to get to know
                              the person behind the site.

                              Dee Dee Cobb
                              Middle Tennessee Council
                            • fivebeers2002
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 3, 2007
                                I would like to introduce myself to the group, My name is Curt Beers.
                                I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster with Troop 462 and Committee Chairman for
                                Pack 508 both in Washington Missouri. I was just presented my Wood
                                Badge Beads (C-35-06 Seven Bears of Baden) May 1st. I have been a
                                trainer for Cubscout Leader Specific, and have been on staff for Leader
                                Outdoor Experience in my District (Osage) and Council (Greater St.
                                Louis Area).
                                Curt Beers
                              • russandlori
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013
                                  Hi I'm new to the list. Was referred baby Scouts-L list. This is my first year as a volunteer and I'm serving as an assistant Webelos den leader and pack trainer.

                                  I have twenty years experience with adult learning and training. I don't do much training in my job anymore so I am thrilled to transfer my experience to Scouting.

                                  A few questions: I need to draft an email to send to our Pack. We've never had a Pack Trainer. Should that come from the Cub master or Committee Chair or informally from me? Many of the leaders won't know me at all and we have a number who have not been through training other than Youth Protection. I have my work cut out for me!

                                  Also if anyone here is a member of Three Rivers or Occoneechee District please let me know. Would love to connect with locals.

                                  Any other recommendations for getting started are welcome. I've been throu everything on the BSA site but it lacks practical, day-to-day advice.

                                  YIS,

                                  Lori Reed
                                  Pack 951, Chapel Hill, Chatham County, NC
                                • Ann
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 13, 2013
                                    Welcome aboard, Lori!

                                    My name is Ann Meyer and I am with Occoneechee Council in Neuse River District. I've been involved with training in the Council for over 20 years.

                                    I would suggest starting with your District Key 3 who can hook you up with your District Training Chairman (DTC). Your DTC should be able to answer your questions and would, most likely, love to have your help in the area of training.

                                    Our Council webpage is http://ocscouts.org Go to this page and then click on the "About Us" link, then click on the Districts link. There you will find your District - Orange - and once you click on it you will see your District leadership listed.

                                    Hopefully, we will meet one another real soon! See you around the Council.

                                    Ann Meyer
                                    Advisor, Crew 5
                                    Venturing Roundtable Commissioner
                                    Wake Forest
                                    Occoneechee Council
                                    Neuse River District
                                    ameyer7@...
                                  • A. Dukovic
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 13, 2013
                                      Rookies always welcome!!

                                      Would think your e-mail should be endorsed by all three; that way folks know who you are and why the Cubmaster and Committee have you in the Pack Trainer position.  It can also help you develop a network to figure out the needs and concerns as far as training goes, within your Unit.  You're doing a critical job and can literally make the boys experience better by showing folks the correct way to do things, again, welcome aboard!!

                                      - Art