Troop JLT

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2001
      Hello,

      I have been lurking for several weeks and want to introduce myself
      and ask a question of this group. My name is Mike Rocheleau and I am
      Scoutmaster for Troop 4 in Wallingford Connecticut. I have been
      involved as a Scouter for the last 7 years and the last 2 in Boy
      Scouts. I have served as the District Finance Chairman, and am
      currently part of the District Training Committee. I used to be a
      buffalo, NE-111-145. I will be serving on staff for the upcoming
      BSLBT for our Council and I will be on Wood Badge Staff for the Wood
      Badge 21st Century starting this August. I am serving on National
      Jambo Staff in Action Center D-Buckskin Games-Muzzle Loader. I am an
      NRA certified instructor in rifle, shotgun and muzzle loader. I have
      instructed in Unit Finance at the Connecticut University of Scouting,
      and served on staff for POW-WOW. I am a neophyte compared to the
      experience of those on this list.

      Now my question, since taking over as Scoutmaster I have run Troop
      JLT twice, after there had been a 3 year hiatus in the troop. I have
      several new youth leaders who need training and a whole group (12-15)
      who could use the re-fresher, but will be bored or not attend if I
      use the same syllabus. Does anyone have suggestions or experience in
      delivering Troop JLT in a different format? Is the new course
      available different than the old one? I have changed the team
      building activities each time and could use suggestions for new ones.

      I look forward to your response.

      Yours in Scouting Spirit,

      Mike
    • cwilkins@ix.netcom.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2001
        Does your council have a COPE course? If so, try doing that instead of
        a regular JLT program. or enhancing yours. you can take the leadership
        core, done some of the pieces of JLT and incorporate a COPE course into
        it with a good outcome for your leadership team.
        building a sense of purpose and teamwork helps everyone face the daily
        grind as well as building experiences that help to make your program
        strong. if they expect big things to happen, they'll make it happen.
        The teamwork skills done in the troop junior leader training for the
        younger scouts are a perfect lead in to an outdoor leadership core
        experience...
        and remember, what's old for you is very new for most of them.
        sometimes we want to change things because we've seem 'em over and over.
        just some thoughts.
        there are great resources out there for other teamwork options and other
        "hey, you thought you knew the answer" puzzles. in the venturing manual
        and the explorer manual there's a list as well as some listed in troop
        program resources.
        Cristi Wilkins
        portland, oregon
      • McAteer, Mike
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2001
          How about have those that "know" teach those who don't. You get instant
          leadership opportunity for the teachers, and everyone hears the same things.
          I also like the idea of using a high adventure experience (COPE or
          mini-backpacking, sailing, or canoe trips) as part of the training.

          Mike McAteer
          Gateway District, Denver Area Council

          > ----------

        • David & Monica Harris
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2001
            Try looking at the Venturing Leadership Skills Course.

            YiS,
            David S Harris
            Scoutmaster, Troop 134
            Associate Advisor, Crew 134
            Ashland Missouri

            From: Joseph Tabrisky <jtabrisky@...>
            2. Re: OWL or BALOO
            From: Judy Yeager <jscout@...>
            3. Re: OWL v. OLS
            From: Judy Yeager <jscout@...>
            4. RE: OWL or BALOO
            From: "Rick Rambo" <rickram@...>
            5. FW: Forwarded message from Mike Bowman
            From: "Rick Rambo" <rickram@...>
            6. Re: OWL or BALOO
            From: "Joseph P. Tabrisky" <jtabrisky@...>
            7. Re: OWL or BALOO
            From: "Lorri Kearns" <lkkearns@...>
            8. Troop JLT
            From: "Mike" <mrocheleau@...>
            9. Re: OWL or BALOO
            From: Joseph Tabrisky <jtabrisky@...>

            Message: 1
            Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:59:37 -0800
            From: Joseph Tabrisky <jtabrisky@...>
            Subject: OWL v. OLS

            In our district, we suggest that Bear Leaders moving up to Webelos,
            Webelos Leaders who have not received WLOT, Cubmasters and Asst.
            Cubmaster in charge of Webelos programs take WLOT. It has been our
            experience that WLOT provides these people with a very clear
            understanding of the transition phase of the progam. Remember, webelos
            is "transition" it is not boy scouts.

            Our next step in the training progression has been SMF. We not only
            would recommend the course for ASM's, SM's and MC's but also WL's and
            WA's in charge of 5th grade or Sr. WL's who would be transitioning
            within the next 6 to 8 months. Why? Because during that phase, you
            want the boys to develop more independence and leadership.

            OSL is not designed to deal with the leaders in a manner of
            progression. It does not offer the understanding of how the skills are
            introduced to the boys based upon the program or development of the boy.

            In any case, I just spoke with CS division who reconfirmed to me that at
            the present time OWL or WLOT will not be replaced and there aren't any
            plans to replace it or eliminate it. WLOT or OWL will continue to be
            the outdoor training program for Webelos leaders.

            Joe Tabrisky

            Message: 2
            Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:45:17 -0600
            From: Judy Yeager <jscout@...>
            Subject: Re: OWL or BALOO

            I have been watching the back and forth of this thread and decided to
            add my $.02 worth. I happen to agree with both Joe and Wendell, to a
            point.

            Back in the days when OWL (or whatever you call it - we call it WLOE)
            was required for a Webelos Leader to earn a trained strip, we had a
            really good turn out for this course. When that requirement was
            dropped, attendance dropped like a rock. Unfortunately, about half the
            people who take this course now are those who are about to bridge and
            just realized that they have to have that course to get their training
            knot. Almost to a man/woman they all wonder why they didn't do this 18
            months ago because they now see that they could have run a much better
            Webelos program if they had. But now it's too late and the boys have
            already lost out.

            Now the question is, will Intro to OLS provide them with those same
            program ideas? I don't think so. But will it be of value to that 50%
            who come to OWL at the end of their tenure as Webelos Leaders? Yes. It
            will give them a real jump start into Boy Scouting.

            So, in the ideal world, we would offer BALOO to all interested Cub
            Leaders and parents who are interested in Cub Camping. OWL would be for
            the Bear Leaders who are about to move into Webelos I and Webelos II
            leaders who are about to bridge would experience Intro to OLS. But none
            of us that I know of live in an ideal world.

            It is my opinion, for whatever it's worth, that sending new green
            Webelos Leaders to Intro to OLS would be a really big mistake, because
            they would be inclined to turn their Webelos into Junior Boy Scouts, and
            that's not what the program is about. We already have a problem with
            really enthusiastic Webelos Leaders doing just that and, consequently,
            we have a lot of burn out when they get to Boy Scouts because they have
            already been there and done that. The Webelos time is a unique program
            in and of itself and boys do not have to be denied that experience to
            have a successful transition to Boy Scouting.

            Unfortunately, so long as leaders can get that trained strip without
            outdoor training, only the few and the proud will participate. What a
            pity.

            Just my take from my experiences. Your mileage will probably differ.

            Judy Yeager
            SFT Training Chair, HOAC
            . . .and a good ole' Bobalope, too. . .
            but BEST of all, Proud Mom of 2 Eagle Scouts

            Message: 3
            Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:47:49 -0600
            From: Judy Yeager <jscout@...>
            Subject: Re: OWL v. OLS

            Joseph Tabrisky wrote: In any case, I just spoke with CS division who
            reconfirmed to me that at the present time OWL or WLOT will not be
            replaced and there aren't any plans to replace it or eliminate it. WLOT
            or OWL will continue to be the outdoor training program for Webelos
            leaders.

            Great News, Joe!!!!!

            Message: 4
            Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:20:51 -0800
            From: "Rick Rambo" <rickram@...>

            >>Because the program includes an overnighter, we have some difficulty
            in
            selling it as
            >>it is.
            >
            >>I am concerned that with OLS (which is a 2 night course beginning on
            Friday and
            >>ending at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday), we will find it more difficult to
            convince
            our
            >>Webelos leaders (who may be only in the program for another 15-18
            months)
            to take the
            >>course.

            >It would seem to be EASER to sell a 2 night course that pertains to the
            >next 8 years of their sons life than it would be to sell a 1 night
            >course that is good for 6 to 18 months. OWL is 3/4 as long as OLS but
            >it is intended for 1/16 - 1/4 the program time. Besides, if they take
            >OLS as a Webelos they DON'T have to take it again if they become an
            >Assistant Scoutmaster so there won't be the feeling of "throwing away"
            >the time for OWL.

            The new course includes an option for two (12 hour) Saturdays for those
            who
            would not like to stay over/or can't stay out till Sunday.

            **********
            America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
            **********
            Join the Wy-East District e-mail list! Send a blank e-mail to:
            Wy-East-subscribe@...
            **********
            Rick Rambo
            Committee Member, T-89, Wy-East District, Cascade Pacific Council;
            Training
            Chairman for Wy-East District; Chairman, CPC 1st Class Recognition
            events
            1st Class Recognition Page:
            http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/firstclass.html
            or: http://www.cpcbsa.org/cpcbsa/council/activities/award/1stclass.htm
            Roundtable Songs: http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/roundtable.html
            Assistant Quartermaster, WEM-492-00
            e-mail: mailto:rickram@...
            FAX: (561) 673-0437
            http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
            http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
            AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

            Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:30:55 -0800
            From: "Rick Rambo" <rickram@...>
            Subject: FW: Forwarded message from Mike Bowman

            Those of you who have done much searching on the web for scout stuff,
            know
            about the US Scouting Service Project or www.usssp.org. the message
            below
            explains that they are now off-line and why.

            Rick

            **********

            Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:19:55 -0800
            From: "Joseph P. Tabrisky" <jtabrisky@...>

            Well said Judy.

            Joe Tabrisky
            District Training Chair
            Pacifica District
            Los Angeles Area Council

            Message: 7
            Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 07:49:02 -0600
            From: "Lorri Kearns" <lkkearns@...>

            Wendell Brown wrote:
            Sure, those skills and others WILL exceed the Webelos program, but
            isn't the Webelos program intended as a bridge to Boy Scouts?
            ---------

            I've been following this thread with interest. I have a couple
            questions just
            out of curiosity:

            1. Are there any concerns that Webelos leaders (now trained with Boy
            Scout skills)
            will push the envelope and allow their Webelos to start using these
            things too early?
            Is this addressed in training?

            2. Is the only format a single weekend, two-night campout? Or is there
            a two single
            night option? (Wondering since LDS units and leaders are not supposed
            to camp on Sundays).

            Thanks in advance,

            Lorri
            DeSoto, Kansas
            lkkearns@...

            Message: 8

            Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:15:40 -0800
            From: Joseph Tabrisky <jtabrisky@...>

            Lorri Kearns wrote:

            > 1. Are there any concerns that Webelos leaders (now trained with Boy
            Scout skills)
            > will push the envelope and allow their Webelos to start using these
            things too early?
            > Is this addressed in training?

            In my experience, yes. We regularly have problems with units that
            undertake activities which
            are inconsistent with G2SS or the Webelos program. We do try to address
            it in our training
            sessions and constantly emphasize G2SS. That is why I have concerns
            regarding OLS for Webelos
            leaders, especially new ones.

            > 2. Is the only format a single weekend, two-night campout? Or is
            there a two single
            > night option? (Wondering since LDS units and leaders are not supposed
            to camp on Sundays).

            No OLS also has two very long Saturday-only formats. I believe, but
            don't hold me to it, that
            the formats are from 8:00 a.m. till 9:00 p.m. roughly. Again, I don't
            have the syllabus in
            front of me.

            Interestingly, my Scout Adult Leader Training Coordinator, who is LDS,
            prefers the 2 night
            format and will be offering it in our district as a 2-nighter. He is
            fairly well established
            in the Stake hierarchy. I asked him about the LDS/Sunday issue. He
            believes that it can be
            conducted without too much trouble and remined me about weekend Wood
            Badges which include
            Sundays and are still well attended by LDS members.

            Joe Tabrisky

          • John Halter
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15, 2007
              A scoutmaster of one of our troops asked me tonight about getting
              materials for a troop level JLT program that he had used in another
              troop. He said there was a booklet with the itinerary and other
              information and also a video. Does anyone have this material and if so
              can you tell me the bin or catalog # (or are they even still
              available)? I saw where someone had posted some numbers for the manual,
              but we are also looking for a video that went along with it.

              --

              Thank you,

              John Halter
              District Commissioner
              Wekiwa District
              Central FL Council, B.S.A.
              www.wekiwa.org
              "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
              ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
            • Fred Goodwin, CMA
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16, 2007
                > Posted by: "John Halter" john@...
                > Date: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:25 pm ((PDT))
                >
                > A scoutmaster of one of our troops asked me tonight about getting
                > materials for a troop level JLT program that he had used in another
                > troop. He said there was a booklet with the itinerary and other
                > information and also a video. Does anyone have this material and
                > if so can you tell me the bin or catalog # (or are they even still
                > available)? I saw where someone had posted some numbers for the
                > manual, but we are also looking for a video that went along with
                > it.

                The old JLT is obsolete; it has been replaced by Troop Leadership
                Training (TLT), which explains why you can't find JLT.

                Having said that, the old JLT is sometimes available on ebay; be sure
                the one you choose to bid on includes the video; not all of them do!

                Fred Goodwin
                ASM, T515
                Alamo Area Council
              • Michael Brown
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 16, 2007
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" <fgoodwin@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > Posted by: "John Halter" john@...
                  > > Date: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:25 pm ((PDT))
                  > >
                  > > A scoutmaster of one of our troops asked me tonight about getting
                  > > materials for a troop level JLT program that he had used in
                  another
                  > > troop. He said there was a booklet with the itinerary and other
                  > > information and also a video. Does anyone have this material and
                  > > if so can you tell me the bin or catalog # (or are they even
                  still
                  > > available)? I saw where someone had posted some numbers for the
                  > > manual, but we are also looking for a video that went along with
                  > > it.
                  >
                  > The old JLT is obsolete; it has been replaced by Troop Leadership
                  > Training (TLT), which explains why you can't find JLT.
                  >
                  > Having said that, the old JLT is sometimes available on ebay; be
                  sure
                  > the one you choose to bid on includes the video; not all of them do!

                  The catalog number for TLT is #34306A. Its been out since 05.

                  The video that was part of the old Scoutmaster's Junior Leader
                  Training Kit was also sold separately from the Kit. Not sure if the
                  video is still available.

                  Michael Brown