Advanced Outdoor Leader Skills

  • Bill & Beth Reiller
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 18, 2001
      Recently someone posted a message about a Advanced Outdoor Leader Skills
      course that had been developed by someone in the Last Frontier Council (?).
      Unfortunately I was too fast with the delete button. I would greatly
      appreciate it if someone would send me that e-mail address that was in that
      posting to contact the person who devloped it.

      Beth Reiller
    • Judy Yeager
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 18, 2001
        Bill Nelson quoted Ronald Tramm . . . Since I did the first IOLS for our
        council I think that the real purpose of the course is simply to train
        adults how to teach it to their boys. I don't think that it is a forum to
        train adults in outdoor skills . . . and then asked, "How much of this would
        be taught in Powder Horn, or the new Woodbadge?"

        My guess would be absolutely none. It is my understanding that Powder Horn
        is a resources course for high adventure, not an outdoor skills course.
        Having served as staff on two courses of the new Woodbadge, I can tell you
        that you will learn almost NO outdoor skills there. 21st Century Woodbadge
        is a leadership course and has next to nothing to do with outdoor skills.
        As a matter of fact, I believe the new IOLS course was developed to fill the
        gap left when the outdoor skills were dropped from Woodbadge.

        Judy Yeager
      • Bill Nelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 18, 2001
          So the bottom line from all this is that there is no need for
          an Advanced OLS course, instead just make sure the OLS course
          does its job in training the Scouter to be able to train
          the youth in the basic outdoor skills?

          bill

          --- In scouter_t@y..., Judy Yeager <kcjscout@s...> wrote:
          > Bill Nelson quoted Ronald Tramm . . . Since I did the first IOLS for
          our
          > council I think that the real purpose of the course is simply to
          train
          > adults how to teach it to their boys. I don't think that it is a
          forum to
          > train adults in outdoor skills . . . and then asked, "How much of
          this would
          > be taught in Powder Horn, or the new Woodbadge?"
          >
          > My guess would be absolutely none. It is my understanding that
          Powder Horn
          > is a resources course for high adventure, not an outdoor skills
          course.
          > Having served as staff on two courses of the new Woodbadge, I can
          tell you
          > that you will learn almost NO outdoor skills there. 21st Century
          Woodbadge
          > is a leadership course and has next to nothing to do with outdoor
          skills.
          > As a matter of fact, I believe the new IOLS course was developed to
          fill the
          > gap left when the outdoor skills were dropped from Woodbadge.
          >
          > Judy Yeager
        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 18, 2001
            Bill Nelson wrote: So the bottom line from all this is that there is no
            need for an Advanced OLS course, instead just make sure the OLS course does
            its job in training the Scouter to be able to train the youth in the basic
            outdoor skills?

            I would not necessarily come to this conclusion from our discussions. In
            order for anyone to teach some skill to another, he must first possess that
            skill. OLS requires the participants to show proficiency in the outdoor
            skills required for Tenderfoot, Second and First Class, the very basic
            outdoor skills, and thus be able to guide youth through that process.
            However, I do not believe that those skills would be sufficient to guide
            youth through the process of preparing for most high adventure activities.
            Further, I do not see a place in our current training continuum where an
            adult can gain proficiency in these skills except at Philmont, although I
            may be missing something. IMO, an Advanced Outdoor Leader Skills course,
            not currently provided by BSA for the local level, could fill that gap.
            Unless, of course, my conception of the Powder Horn course being a resourse
            course, rather than a skills course, is incorrect. Just a side note,
            although the "old" Woodbadge used some outdoor skills as teaching tools, it
            has always been considered a leadership course, not an outdoor skills
            course.

            My $.02 worth. If I am wrong, would someone please enlighten me?

            Judy Yeager
          • Rick Rambo
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 18, 2001
              >So the bottom line from all this is that there is no need for
              >an Advanced OLS course, instead just make sure the OLS course
              >does its job in training the Scouter to be able to train
              >the youth in the basic outdoor skills?

              No, that is not the bottom line at all. There is just no NATIONAL course
              for this sort of thing. It is like in cubing, you have POW-WOW to provide
              advanced training in various areas, your council should put on an Advanced
              Scout Skills course. In the Cascade Pacific Council it is called OSI or
              Outdoor Skills Institute. This is held each year in the spring for Adult
              Scouters to come and learn advanced or more in depth skills from Dutch oven
              cooking to Pioneering to climbing to canoeing! There is nothing on the web
              about this year's course or 2002's classes, but here is a link to a pdf file
              of the class descriptions from 2000.
              http://www.cpcbsa.org/cpcbsa/council/activities/training/osi_class_descripti
              ons.PDF

              And No, this is not the focus of Wood Badge or Powder Horn, wood Badge is
              for LEADERSHIP training and Powder Horn is a High Adventure resource
              management course.

              **********
              Now more than ever -
              America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
              **********
              Rick Rambo
              e-mail: rickram.geo@...

              FAX: (561) 673-0437
              http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
              http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
              AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

              > Bill Nelson quoted Ronald Tramm . . . Since I did the first IOLS for
              our
              > council I think that the real purpose of the course is simply to
              train
              > adults how to teach it to their boys. I don't think that it is a
              forum to
              > train adults in outdoor skills . . . and then asked, "How much of
              this would
              > be taught in Powder Horn, or the new Woodbadge?"
              >
              > My guess would be absolutely none. It is my understanding that
              Powder Horn
              > is a resources course for high adventure, not an outdoor skills
              course.
              > Having served as staff on two courses of the new Woodbadge, I can
              tell you
              > that you will learn almost NO outdoor skills there. 21st Century
              Woodbadge
              > is a leadership course and has next to nothing to do with outdoor
              skills.
              > As a matter of fact, I believe the new IOLS course was developed to
              fill the
              > gap left when the outdoor skills were dropped from Woodbadge.
              >
              > Judy Yeager

            • Bill & Beth Reiller
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 18, 2001
                Thank You!
                > > Recently someone posted a message about a
                > > Advanced Outdoor Leader Skills course that had been
                > developed by someone in the Last Frontier Council ....
                >
                > Hello Beth,
                > I wasn't the one who posted the addy, but the email
                > you're hunting is that Jim Mustoe of Last Frontier
                > Council, and it's jmustoe@...
                >
                > Kevin from Norman, OK

              • Kevin Pate
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 19, 2001