Training Awards & National Den Award

  • jansr@charter.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
      Appealing to the great knowledge of this list:

      Now that "Ethics in Action" is no longer published, and "Character
      Connections" is only referred to in the new "Tiger Cub Handbook" and
      not yet in the other C.S. Books, how are we to treat Training Awards?

      Let's say a Den/Webelos Leader completes his/her one-year tenure
      (starting this past September)and tries to comply with the NEW
      requirements, (from "Leadership Training Committee Guide," No.
      34169E,
      2001 printing)they have no materials for "Character Connections."

      If that same Den Leader tries to use "Ethics in Action" in place of
      "Character Connections," they will be unable to buy the material for
      "Ethics in Action."

      My query is spurred by a question on "Scouts-L" referring to the
      National Den Award and it's requirement regarding "Ethics in Action."
      Since I haven't seen the new "Cub Scout Leader Book" yet, I don't
      know
      what the new Den Award will be requiring.

      The "Cub Scout Program Helps" for 2001-2002 is still referring to
      "Ethics in Action." (Insert, page 7)

      We're doing Position Specific Training next week, and I've included
      the newest "Progress Record" for Training Awards in the hand-outs.
      While I may not get the question that night, it won't be long before
      the question surfaces.

      We've got 50 students pre-registered for the training, and the
      traditional "brag" of my training team has always been: if we don't
      know the answer, we will get you the answer!

      I don't know where to even start to get an answer--HELP!!! Has
      anyone
      run into this question, and how did you solve it?

      Forgive this long and confusing message, but I'm feeling "longly
      confused." I've happily led our district's Cub Training for the past
      11 years, but I've gained many grey hairs over this past year's
      directions from National regarding both BALOO and the new training.

      Can anyone rescue me?

      Confoozedly yours,
      Mary Ann Mills
    • JNDunnMN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
        Confoozed Mary Ann asked:

        >Now that "Ethics in Action" is no longer published, >and "Character Connections" is only referred to in the >new "Tiger Cub Handbook" and not yet in the other C.S. >Books, how are we to treat Training Awards?

        We still have plenty of copies of the old "How To" book floating around (I don't know about you - but I don't throw the old stuff away- I "archive" it). I would suspect many packs do as well - those could serve as resources for leaders to use the program, until Character Connections shows up in all the rank books and National catches up on the Training award requirements.

        BTW - anyone have room in their garage for my "archive"? My husband wants the room for the car this winter <G>

        YiS,
        Jamie Dunn
        P.512
        Pack Trainer
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Chair
        3 Rivers District
      • Laura Lyster
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
          Character Connections is available in the new "How-To" book which should now be at your local scout shop. Our Scout Shop has had the books for 3 weeks now.

          Plenty of time for leaders to implement the material as the training awards are based on a calendar year - not a program year.

          In Scouting
          Laura
          EC-CS-19 buffalo, C-30L-97 fox
          Cub Training Chair

        • Steve Meyers
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
            Laura,
            I have to ask.
            Where do you get calendar year from. When I last read the requirements it just said year, which means to me any twelve consecutive months. Also, it makes reference to actions taken during a program year.

            Steve Meyers

          • JNDunnMN@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
              On Thurs Nov 8, Laura wrote:

              >Character Connections is available in the new "How-To" >book which should now be at your local scout shop.

              I have the new "How-To Book". Mine doesn't have a chapter on Character Connections. The Item # is 33832A. Is there another printing?

              YiS,
              Jamie Dunn
              P.512
              Pack Trainer
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Cub Scout Training Chair
              3 Rivers District
            • Judy Yeager
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
                Laura Lyster wrote: <snip> Plenty of time for leaders to implement the
                material as the training awards are based on a calendar year - not a
                program year. <end snip>

                I have never heard this before. I just read the section on training awards
                in my Leadership Training Committee Guide 34169E and can find no such
                ruling. Can you tell us where this information comes from?

                Judy Yeager
                NT District Training Chair, HOAC
              • Michael Rouse
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
                  In our Council, they are based on program year for the most part. We look at the 12 months in a year but if we have someone who is getting ready to leave (we are military) and they are a few months short then we put them in for the award.

                  Connie