Re: [Scouter_T] PACK TRAINER

  • JNDunnMN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
      Lloyd asked about the Pack Trainer position:

      >Have we received any 'official guidelines' from BSA in >Irving regarding the duties and responsibilities of >the pack trainer? Have we received any training >requirements to qualify an individual as
      >pack trainers?

      The September issue of Scouting magazine - in the "News Briefs" column contained the following:

      The pack trainer:

      -must meet BSA membership requirements, be at least 21 years of age, and register with the Boy Scouts of America as a pack trainer. (It is recommended that the pack trainer have at least one year of experience in a leadership position in Cub Scouting, preferably as a Cub Scout or Webelos den leader.)

      -is selected by the pack committee, with the approval of the chartered organization.

      -should be trained in a Trainer Development Conference and, of course, have completed a training session before teaching one.

      The pack trainer is responsible for:

      -conducting orientation of new families and new pack leaders.

      -training each new leader and pack committee member for his or her specific position, using material in the training manuals New Leader Essentials (BSA No. 34870) and Cub Scout Leader Specific Training (No. 34875).

      -encouraging pack leaders to attend ongoing training, such as roundtable; pow wow or University of Scouting; outdoor training; Youth Protection training; and Wood Badge.

      -staying current with training materials and program updates.

      -keeping track of pack training records.

      >What's the two letter code for the position, PT?

      I know there is one - I just don't remember (and I filled out my own registration change!)

      >Has any council or scout shop received the new Cub >Scout Leader Book?

      Don't know, but like Stu I'm going to the Scout Shop today - I will look. We have received the How To Book - so there's hope!

      YiS,
      Jamie Dunn
      P.512
      Pack Trainer