OWL Training

  • Brant Lippincott
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2001
      Here's a topic for discussion.... Outdoor Webelos Leader Training (a.k.a.
      OWL or WOLT)

      We held an OWL training session this past weekend. Unfortunately, it was
      rather poorly attended (5 students - vs. 30 in the Spring session). I'm not
      so sure why there were so few. We had 12 registered. There was some
      discussion between the Scout Executive and the course director as to whether
      we should continue teaching the course.

      The discussion point is "Is OWL still a viable course that should be
      taught?"

      To me it fills a niche that would otherwise go unfilled.

      BALOO is for taking the PACK on a Family Camp.

      Scoutmaster Fundamentals covers a lot of the same material as OWL, but with
      a BOY scout slant.

      It's a good thing to take the WEBELOS Camping and OWL teaches a Webelos
      leader how to do that. Webelos are different than Cubs and different than
      BOY Scouts. Just for openers, you don't HAVE TO take all the parents along.

      So, trainers - what do you think??

      For the Boys,
      Brant Lippincott
      Roundtable/Training Staff
      Troop 45
      Plano, Texas

    • David Vaughan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2001
        I just returned from the Western Region's Area 3 Training Conference held
        this past weekend. OWL is still part of the training for Webelos Leaders at
        this time. There are no immediate plans to drop the OWL training from the
        Webelos training sequence. The representative from the National Office,
        Gloria Atkins did state that they are very well aware of the many trainers
        concern regarding the similarity of the training in regard to the new Basic
        Outdoor Leader Training for Boy Scout Leaders. Gloria also stated that there
        was movement towards a single outdoor leader training for Webelos Leaders,
        Boy Scout Leaders, Varsity Leaders, and Venturing Leaders, but only movement
        at this time. So for right now it OWL is still a required training.

        David Vaughan
        Council Training Chair
        Southern Sierra Council
        dvaughan@...
        Always a Buffalo
        W4-57-86

        > Here's a topic for discussion.... Outdoor Webelos Leader Training (a.k.a.
        > OWL or WOLT)
        >
        > We held an OWL training session this past weekend. Unfortunately, it was
        > rather poorly attended (5 students - vs. 30 in the Spring session). I'm
        not
        > so sure why there were so few. We had 12 registered. There was some
        > discussion between the Scout Executive and the course director as to
        whether
        > we should continue teaching the course.
        >
        > The discussion point is "Is OWL still a viable course that should be
        > taught?"
        >
        > To me it fills a niche that would otherwise go unfilled.
        >
        > BALOO is for taking the PACK on a Family Camp.
        >
        > Scoutmaster Fundamentals covers a lot of the same material as OWL, but
        with
        > a BOY scout slant.
        >
        > It's a good thing to take the WEBELOS Camping and OWL teaches a Webelos
        > leader how to do that. Webelos are different than Cubs and different than
        > BOY Scouts. Just for openers, you don't HAVE TO take all the parents
        along.

        > So, trainers - what do you think??
        >
        > For the Boys,
        > Brant Lippincott
        > Roundtable/Training Staff
        > Troop 45
        > Plano, Texas

      • Kris Swank
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 16, 2002
          Now that the BSA Annual Meeting is over, has anyone heard if the roumour
          about a new OWL syllabus was true and if so when will it be available
          for District use?

          Thanks,
          Kris Swank
          OT Training Chair East Texas Area Council
          I used to be a Beaver....SR-281-99
          Staff Sr-447-02
        • Keith Tilley
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 17, 2002
            The OWL syllabus is indeed being replaced. A new course, called "Outdoor
            Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders", updates the content and restructures the
            course to make it compatible with the Boy Scout "Introduction to Outdoor
            Leader Skills" course.

            The new syllabus should be available in late summer or early fall.

            Keith Tilley
            Council Cub Scout Training Chair
            Hudson Valley Council, NY
          • infoscouter
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9, 2002
              Does anyone have further info on this
              new version of the course? Does anyone actually have a syllabus? I
              have asked locally, but my professional hasn't seen anything yet. Am
              planning a course for early fall & would like to use this if its
              feasible.

              Thanks for any assistance, tips.

              Jamie Dunn
              Pack Trainer
              P.512
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Cub Scout Training Chair
              3 Rivers District

              --- In scouter_t@y..., "Keith Tilley" <redcoat@h...> wrote:
              > The OWL syllabus is indeed being replaced. A new course,
              called "Outdoor
              > Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders", updates the content and
              restructures the
              > course to make it compatible with the Boy Scout "Introduction to
              Outdoor
              > Leader Skills" course.
              >
              > The new syllabus should be available in late summer or early fall.
              >
              > Keith Tilley
              > Council Cub Scout Training Chair
              > Hudson Valley Council, NY
            • Rod Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9, 2002
                I am on my way home from the Training Management Seminar at Philmont and
                this question was asked there. The answer was yes that it is coming but
                no confirmed shipping date.

                Also, National has finished shooting a new Cub Scout Fast Start video
                but no release date has been given.

                Rod

                new version of the course? Does anyone actually have a syllabus? I
                have asked locally, but my professional hasn't seen anything yet. Am
                planning a course for early fall & would like to use this if its
                feasible.

                Thanks for any assistance, tips.

                Jamie Dunn
                Pack Trainer
                P.512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Cub Scout Training Chair
                3 Rivers District

                --- In scouter_t@y..., "Keith Tilley" <redcoat@h...> wrote:
                > The OWL syllabus is indeed being replaced. A new course,
                called "Outdoor
                > Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders", updates the content and
                restructures the
                > course to make it compatible with the Boy Scout "Introduction to
                Outdoor
                > Leader Skills" course.
                >
                > The new syllabus should be available in late summer or early fall.
                >
                > Keith Tilley
                > Council Cub Scout Training Chair
                > Hudson Valley Council, NY

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • leslie (in Michigan)
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10, 2002
                  I just asked my DE and he hasn't seen anything yet
                  either. But the regional conferences are soon
                  (Central Region's starts tomorrow) and who knows what
                  they will bring home from there.

                  --- infoscouter <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
                  > Does anyone have further info on this
                  > new version of the course? Does anyone actually have
                  > a syllabus?

                  =====
                  Leslie (in Michigan)
                  Blue Water Council

                  HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                  http://www.hotjobs.com
                • Sean Scott
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 19, 2002
                    I am just returning from Philmont and this course and several other new
                    books are coming down the pike. The new syllabus should be available in late
                    fall/early winter. Until then, the old syllabus is the one to use. I'll post
                    more after I filter through the 1,000 plus messages in my inbox...

                    Sean