Re: [Scouter_T] District Cub Scout Training Chairman Question

  • Joe Kovacs
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
      Hello list,

      > 3. What are some of the problems one would run into in this
      > position? Is getting volunteers an issue?

      Recruiting is almost always difficult. Most Districts have a core of
      experience trainers who are dedicated to the program, but it is not wise to
      just rely on this group. You should continually be searching out new folks
      to get involved - the future of your program and District depends on it.

      The one thing we did at our Council Training meeting last year was to set a
      goal to recruit and increase our District training staff by 10% each year.
      By setting a goal we were forced to find new people. Ten percent only comes
      out only 2-3 people.
      I would only let them do only 1 or 2 presentations on there first course.
      This would let them get through some of their nervousness and to work on
      their skills. As their confidence grows, they can take more
      responsibilities.
      Just think, after 3or 4 years this person could by your next course
      director!
      The easest way I found to recruite new, good trainers is to talk to the
      course director of the Woodbadge Training in your area. They are the best
      soure of poeple that "get it".

      Joe Kovacs
      e-mail buckey@...
      AIM station37joe
      Pocono District Training Coordinator
      Minsi Trails Council
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
        Like any job, the amount of time required and your responsibilities will
        vary by location, and how much your superiors want/allow you to do. If your
        area is set up in the standard BSA model, you will report to the District
        Training Chair, who is in turn, responsible to the Program Chair and the
        Council Training Chair. Other models have 3-4 separate training chairs who
        report to the Program Chair and the Council Training Chair.

        In any case, you are responsible for gathering and training your training
        team, deciding what training is required and in what quantities, and managing
        its accomplishment. If you have a large district you may have separate teams
        for each area of responsibility, smaller districts may have one team that
        does everything. If you need to recruit additional trainers, silly proviso -
        you ALWAYS need to recruit new trainers, try to get your Commissioners on
        board as trainers. This keeps them up to speed with the changing program,
        introduces them to the new scouters in the district in a nonjudgmental
        situation and gives them validity as an expert in the field of Scouting.

        "Jon T. Patten" wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        > I've just been asked by my DE to be the district cub scout training
        > chair. Trying to find some background on the job before I say yes or
        > no. Could you answer the following questions?
        >
        > 1. What does the time commitment involve in this position?

        How long is a piece of string? See above. It will be less time
        consuming if you are moving into an established position with a training team
        in place; longer if you have to reinvent the program.

        > 2. Who, if anyone do you have reporting to you? In other
        > words, do you have someone who is responsible for Youth
        > Protection training, Basic Leader Training, BALOO and
        > WLOT? Do you have an assistant?

        Depends on the size of the district and your preferences and style of
        leadership. Larger districts will need more delegation of training, perhaps
        into specialized teams, perhaps into geographically separated, more
        generalized teams. Remember, you can delegate your authority to train
        leaders, but not your responsibility to produce trained leaders, it all comes
        back to you. If you can split up parts of the job between you and another
        person who can support your efforts, AND the job requires it due to numerical
        or physical size of the district, go for it. Recruit or promote an
        assistant, he or she can make your job much easier. Appointing specific
        folks to head teams devoted to one or more courses can also make your job
        easier, or drive you crazy trying to coordinate their efforts.

        > 3. What are some of the problems one would run into in this
        > position? Is getting volunteers an issue?

        Getting leaders to training, and volunteers to train them. Finding
        venues in which to run courses. Promoting supplies and equipment, especially
        current BSA booklets to provide the learners with current information.

        > 4. How much of the job involves paperwork which needs to be
        > turned into council?

        Unless all training records are kept in the district only, you will need
        to turn lists of newly trained leaders into your council office, as well as
        keep copies yourself - things DO get lost. You should be signing off on all
        applications for training awards, since you are the point of contact as to
        who is trained.

        You will also have to submit budgets for each training course, in a
        format approved by council, to receive up-front funding to run courses. Most
        councils require training to be self sustaining, or even turn a small profit
        over to the council to help fund other less stand-alone programs.
        Determining the cost of each course, and what needs to be purchased out of
        the proceeds from the course will be your responsibility. Copies and
        transparencies cost money, although transparencies should be an infrequent
        need. These expenses usually must be paid out before the learners pay their
        registration fee, so you need the front money from council to get your course
        going. Council will also have to provide any BSA materials required for the
        course, either from the Scout Store, or by ordering from National. You CAN
        order directly from the NSS, but you won't get the council's 60% of list
        price cost for materials and you will have to pay postage out of your
        budget. You will also find it more difficult to order bin items directly,
        and councils normally order these items to discourage waste of these no-cost
        items.

        > 5. What meetings do you have to attend on the district/council
        > level?

        If you are the Cub Training Chair, responsible to the District Program
        Chair you will need to attend most of the district committee meetings, and
        the council committee meeting as well. If you are responsible to the
        District Training Chair you two will have to meet to get the inputs for
        district and council meetings.

        > 6. Who do you report to in your district/council and what
        > level of support do you get from them?

        I report to my District Program Chair and Council Training Chair and get
        lots of moral support and guidance from them. I work closely with the other
        District and Council Program Training Chairs to provide a quality program to
        the learners.

        > I realize that different councils and districts may be set up
        > differently, but I'm looking for what should be done in this
        > position as much as what has been done. Any help would be greatly
        > appreciated.

        Your prime responsibilities are to provide the learners with necessary
        training based on current materials, determining training needs, recruiting,
        motivating, and training volunteers to provide this training, and recording
        the results so a coherent record exists of the training accomplished. How
        you do all this will vary determining to your council and district's wiring
        guide, your abilities, and the team you have chosen

        Dave
        Council Venturing Training CHair
        DIstrict BS Training Chair

        > Thanks,
        > Jon Patten
        > Cubmaster Pack 74
        > Pine Tree Council

        Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
        1094 Woodbury Ave. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
      • David Gross
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2001
          --- In scouter_t@y..., "Jon T. Patten" <jpatten1@m...> wrote:
          > Hi Folks,
          > I've just been asked by my DE to be the district cub scout
          training
          > chair. Trying to find some background on the job before I say yes or
          > no. Could you answer the following questions?

          This is one of my scouting roles, which I am in the process of
          recruiting a replacement. So, I'd love to answer :-)

          > 1. What does the time commitment involve in this position?

          This of course varies with your district's training plan, and your
          participation in it. I committed to organize 3 NLEs, 3 Cub Leader
          Training, 1 BALOO, and 1 WLOT this year. I choose to be on staff for
          as many of these as my schedule permits, but the training goes on if I
          am unavailable. I also staffed Boy Scout Leader training (my "base"
          Scouting role is SA). Over and above actually staffing the course, I
          spend around 4 hours preparing each course (BALOO was more, because it
          was new). Much of that time is recruiting new trainers (see next).

          > 2. Who, if anyone do you have reporting to you? In other
          > words, do you have someone who is responsible for Youth
          > Protection training, Basic Leader Training, BALOO and
          > WLOT? Do you have an assistant?

          About the only thing I'd claim to have improved in district is the
          number of qualified and participating Cub Trainers, and I think this
          is essential to success in any trainer chair role. For Cub trainer, I
          have two complete teams (a Blue team, and a Gold team, just like the
          US Navy & Crews), which reduces the load on everyone. I have 10
          participating Cub trainers right now.

          Since another one of my roles is as CS RTC, I started with my RT
          Staff. I told each as I recruited them that I expected that they
          would staff at least one Cub Leader Training, at their choice. The
          other source I use is the Unit Commissioner's assigned to packs. I
          think serving on training staff is a big help to both RT staff & UCs
          in performing their roles.

          > 3. What are some of the problems one would run into in this
          > position? Is getting volunteers an issue?

          Yep, just like any other Scouting role. I think Scouters who desire &
          are able to help Scouts INDIRECTLY (through helping other Scouters)
          are rare, so I tend to treat them "special", trying to make my
          expectations clear, and makign sure no one person is overloaded. I
          have refused some persons help who were already overloaded, and those
          folks will now do anything I ask. You certainly will need to focus on
          recruiting trainers -- and not everyone who is willing makes a good
          trainer.

          > 4. How much of the job involves paperwork which needs to be
          > turned into council?

          Not much around here, other than the "trained" cards and trainign
          rosters that go to council.

          > 5. What meetings do you have to attend on the district/council
          > level?

          I don't HAVE to attend any, our district training chair who I report
          to attends district committee and our council training events. We
          conduct a goodly amount of business (such as calendar planning) via
          e-mail. I do attend some district meetings (they are very nice to
          invite me), and I attend the obvious council levels events (new
          training roll out and Trainer Development Conference).

          > 6. Who do you report to in your district/council and what
          > level of support do you get from them?

          I report to the Chair of our District Training Chair, who in turn
          reports to the District Chair. He backs me up completely, but is not
          quite as proactive as I'd like. He has another Scouter who has the
          same role I do for Boy Scout training. Right now, all Venturer
          training is out of district.

          All though you probably won't report to them, you need to consider
          your relationship with the CS RTC & the ADC for CS. These folks can
          be a big help or a big pain.

          Also given that the new WB course is more integrated program, you need
          to think and ask how expectations that may exist for the Cib Trainer
          with regard to WB (e.g., I'm on staff for our next council course).

          > Thanks,
          > Jon Patten

          I think this is a great role, if your interests lie in training, and
          if your interests lie in helping other Scouters (which I think is
          harder than helping Scouts). I certainly have found it very
          satisfying. Godspeed.

          YiS,

          David

          David Gross

          SA T-142, CS RTC, DTC, UC
          Eagle/3, AOL, OA/B
          "I used to be a fox, ..."
        • Hank Voegtle
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2001
            At 11:45 PM 11/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
            >SA T-142, CS RTC, DTC, UC
            >Eagle/3, AOL, OA/B
            >"I used to be a fox, ..."

            I can figure everything except Eagle/3? Whazzit?