District Cub Scout Training Chairman Question

  • Jon T. Patten
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
      Hi Folks,
      I've just been asked by my DE to be the district cub scout training
      chair. Trying to find some background on the job before I say yes or
      no. Could you answer the following questions?

      1. What does the time commitment involve in this position?

      2. Who, if anyone do you have reporting to you? In other
      words, do you have someone who is responsible for Youth
      Protection training, Basic Leader Training, BALOO and
      WLOT? Do you have an assistant?

      3. What are some of the problems one would run into in this
      position? Is getting volunteers an issue?

      4. How much of the job involves paperwork which needs to be
      turned into council?

      5. What meetings do you have to attend on the district/council
      level?

      6. Who do you report to in your district/council and what
      level of support do you get from them?

      I realize that different councils and districts may be set up
      differently, but I'm looking for what should be done in this
      position as much as what has been done. Any help would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Jon Patten
      Cubmaster Pack 74
      Pine Tree Council
    • Judy Yeager
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
        Jon -

        In our District, we have a District Training Chair who recruits Training
        Coordinators for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturing and Varsity. Those
        people work with the District Training Chair and act either as Course
        Director for the training or recruit another trainer to fulfill that
        position. The Coordinator will either be responsible for the following or
        work with the Course Director to see that these responsibilites are met:

        1. Recruit team(s) to facilitate the training event(s).
        2. Provide materials and guidance to members of the team.
        3. Make presentation assignments to members of the team.
        4. Determine equipment needs and see that the equipment is at the
        training.
        5. Secure a location for the event(s).
        6. Promote the event(s).
        7. Oversee pre-registration for the event(s).
        8. Oversee the training event(s).
        9. Complete the training attendance report and see that it is filed.
        10. Work witht the District Training Chair to formulate a budget prior
        to the course and finalize the budget when the course is completed.

        > 1. What does the time commitment involve in this position?

        The time commitment is dependent upon two things: the number and frequency
        of events assigned to you and how much you delegate to others.

        > 2. Who, if anyone do you have reporting to you? In other
        > words, do you have someone who is responsible for Youth
        > Protection training, Basic Leader Training, BALOO and
        > WLOT? Do you have an assistant?

        In our area, sometimes the Cub Coordinator handles the outdoor training and
        sometimes the District Training Chair handles that. Youth Protection is the
        responsibility of the District Training Chair.

        > 3. What are some of the problems one would run into in this
        > position? Is getting volunteers an issue?

        Recruiting is almost always difficult. Most Districts have a core of
        experience trainers who are dedicated to the program, but it is not wise to
        just rely on this group. You should continually be searching out new folks
        to get involved - the future of your program and District depends on it.

        > 4. How much of the job involves paperwork which needs to be
        > turned into council?

        As District Training Chair, I work with the Coordinators to see that all
        necessary paperwork is completed, but the buck stops with me. In our area,
        paperwork for the courses that you outlined would include preliminary
        budgets, promotional materials, registration reports, training attendance
        reports, and final budgets, complete with receipts for all disbursements.

        > 5. What meetings do you have to attend on the district/council
        > level?

        My Coordinators schedule meetings with their team(s) as necessary and are
        invited but not required to attend District Committee Meetings.

        > 6. Who do you report to in your district/council and what
        > level of support do you get from them?

        My Coordinators report to me and I report to the DE of my District. Our DE
        is very supportive.

        > I realize that different councils and districts may be set up
        > differently, but I'm looking for what should be done in this
        > position as much as what has been done. Any help would be greatly
        > appreciated.

        The way we organize training has worked well for us.

        Judy Yeager
        District Training Chair
        Northern Tier District, HOAC
      • Joe Kovacs
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
          Hello list,

          > 3. What are some of the problems one would run into in this
          > position? Is getting volunteers an issue?

          Recruiting is almost always difficult. Most Districts have a core of
          experience trainers who are dedicated to the program, but it is not wise to
          just rely on this group. You should continually be searching out new folks
          to get involved - the future of your program and District depends on it.

          The one thing we did at our Council Training meeting last year was to set a
          goal to recruit and increase our District training staff by 10% each year.
          By setting a goal we were forced to find new people. Ten percent only comes
          out only 2-3 people.
          I would only let them do only 1 or 2 presentations on there first course.
          This would let them get through some of their nervousness and to work on
          their skills. As their confidence grows, they can take more
          responsibilities.
          Just think, after 3or 4 years this person could by your next course
          director!
          The easest way I found to recruite new, good trainers is to talk to the
          course director of the Woodbadge Training in your area. They are the best
          soure of poeple that "get it".

          Joe Kovacs
          e-mail buckey@...
          AIM station37joe
          Pocono District Training Coordinator
          Minsi Trails Council
        • Dave Loomis
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
            Like any job, the amount of time required and your responsibilities will
            vary by location, and how much your superiors want/allow you to do. If your
            area is set up in the standard BSA model, you will report to the District
            Training Chair, who is in turn, responsible to the Program Chair and the
            Council Training Chair. Other models have 3-4 separate training chairs who
            report to the Program Chair and the Council Training Chair.

            In any case, you are responsible for gathering and training your training
            team, deciding what training is required and in what quantities, and managing
            its accomplishment. If you have a large district you may have separate teams
            for each area of responsibility, smaller districts may have one team that
            does everything. If you need to recruit additional trainers, silly proviso -
            you ALWAYS need to recruit new trainers, try to get your Commissioners on
            board as trainers. This keeps them up to speed with the changing program,
            introduces them to the new scouters in the district in a nonjudgmental
            situation and gives them validity as an expert in the field of Scouting.

            "Jon T. Patten" wrote:

            > Hi Folks,
            > I've just been asked by my DE to be the district cub scout training
            > chair. Trying to find some background on the job before I say yes or
            > no. Could you answer the following questions?
            >
            > 1. What does the time commitment involve in this position?

            How long is a piece of string? See above. It will be less time
            consuming if you are moving into an established position with a training team
            in place; longer if you have to reinvent the program.

            > 2. Who, if anyone do you have reporting to you? In other
            > words, do you have someone who is responsible for Youth
            > Protection training, Basic Leader Training, BALOO and
            > WLOT? Do you have an assistant?

            Depends on the size of the district and your preferences and style of
            leadership. Larger districts will need more delegation of training, perhaps
            into specialized teams, perhaps into geographically separated, more
            generalized teams. Remember, you can delegate your authority to train
            leaders, but not your responsibility to produce trained leaders, it all comes
            back to you. If you can split up parts of the job between you and another
            person who can support your efforts, AND the job requires it due to numerical
            or physical size of the district, go for it. Recruit or promote an
            assistant, he or she can make your job much easier. Appointing specific
            folks to head teams devoted to one or more courses can also make your job
            easier, or drive you crazy trying to coordinate their efforts.

            > 3. What are some of the problems one would run into in this
            > position? Is getting volunteers an issue?

            Getting leaders to training, and volunteers to train them. Finding
            venues in which to run courses. Promoting supplies and equipment, especially
            current BSA booklets to provide the learners with current information.

            > 4. How much of the job involves paperwork which needs to be
            > turned into council?

            Unless all training records are kept in the district only, you will need
            to turn lists of newly trained leaders into your council office, as well as
            keep copies yourself - things DO get lost. You should be signing off on all
            applications for training awards, since you are the point of contact as to
            who is trained.

            You will also have to submit budgets for each training course, in a
            format approved by council, to receive up-front funding to run courses. Most
            councils require training to be self sustaining, or even turn a small profit
            over to the council to help fund other less stand-alone programs.
            Determining the cost of each course, and what needs to be purchased out of
            the proceeds from the course will be your responsibility. Copies and
            transparencies cost money, although transparencies should be an infrequent
            need. These expenses usually must be paid out before the learners pay their
            registration fee, so you need the front money from council to get your course
            going. Council will also have to provide any BSA materials required for the
            course, either from the Scout Store, or by ordering from National. You CAN
            order directly from the NSS, but you won't get the council's 60% of list
            price cost for materials and you will have to pay postage out of your
            budget. You will also find it more difficult to order bin items directly,
            and councils normally order these items to discourage waste of these no-cost
            items.

            > 5. What meetings do you have to attend on the district/council
            > level?

            If you are the Cub Training Chair, responsible to the District Program
            Chair you will need to attend most of the district committee meetings, and
            the council committee meeting as well. If you are responsible to the
            District Training Chair you two will have to meet to get the inputs for
            district and council meetings.

            > 6. Who do you report to in your district/council and what
            > level of support do you get from them?

            I report to my District Program Chair and Council Training Chair and get
            lots of moral support and guidance from them. I work closely with the other
            District and Council Program Training Chairs to provide a quality program to
            the learners.

            > I realize that different councils and districts may be set up
            > differently, but I'm looking for what should be done in this
            > position as much as what has been done. Any help would be greatly
            > appreciated.

            Your prime responsibilities are to provide the learners with necessary
            training based on current materials, determining training needs, recruiting,
            motivating, and training volunteers to provide this training, and recording
            the results so a coherent record exists of the training accomplished. How
            you do all this will vary determining to your council and district's wiring
            guide, your abilities, and the team you have chosen

            Dave
            Council Venturing Training CHair
            DIstrict BS Training Chair

            > Thanks,
            > Jon Patten
            > Cubmaster Pack 74
            > Pine Tree Council

            Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
            1094 Woodbury Ave. (603) 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
          • David Gross
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2001
              --- In scouter_t@y..., "Jon T. Patten" <jpatten1@m...> wrote:
              > Hi Folks,
              > I've just been asked by my DE to be the district cub scout
              training
              > chair. Trying to find some background on the job before I say yes or
              > no. Could you answer the following questions?

              This is one of my scouting roles, which I am in the process of
              recruiting a replacement. So, I'd love to answer :-)

              > 1. What does the time commitment involve in this position?

              This of course varies with your district's training plan, and your
              participation in it. I committed to organize 3 NLEs, 3 Cub Leader
              Training, 1 BALOO, and 1 WLOT this year. I choose to be on staff for
              as many of these as my schedule permits, but the training goes on if I
              am unavailable. I also staffed Boy Scout Leader training (my "base"
              Scouting role is SA). Over and above actually staffing the course, I
              spend around 4 hours preparing each course (BALOO was more, because it
              was new). Much of that time is recruiting new trainers (see next).

              > 2. Who, if anyone do you have reporting to you? In other
              > words, do you have someone who is responsible for Youth
              > Protection training, Basic Leader Training, BALOO and
              > WLOT? Do you have an assistant?

              About the only thing I'd claim to have improved in district is the
              number of qualified and participating Cub Trainers, and I think this
              is essential to success in any trainer chair role. For Cub trainer, I
              have two complete teams (a Blue team, and a Gold team, just like the
              US Navy & Crews), which reduces the load on everyone. I have 10
              participating Cub trainers right now.

              Since another one of my roles is as CS RTC, I started with my RT
              Staff. I told each as I recruited them that I expected that they
              would staff at least one Cub Leader Training, at their choice. The
              other source I use is the Unit Commissioner's assigned to packs. I
              think serving on training staff is a big help to both RT staff & UCs
              in performing their roles.

              > 3. What are some of the problems one would run into in this
              > position? Is getting volunteers an issue?

              Yep, just like any other Scouting role. I think Scouters who desire &
              are able to help Scouts INDIRECTLY (through helping other Scouters)
              are rare, so I tend to treat them "special", trying to make my
              expectations clear, and makign sure no one person is overloaded. I
              have refused some persons help who were already overloaded, and those
              folks will now do anything I ask. You certainly will need to focus on
              recruiting trainers -- and not everyone who is willing makes a good
              trainer.

              > 4. How much of the job involves paperwork which needs to be
              > turned into council?

              Not much around here, other than the "trained" cards and trainign
              rosters that go to council.

              > 5. What meetings do you have to attend on the district/council
              > level?

              I don't HAVE to attend any, our district training chair who I report
              to attends district committee and our council training events. We
              conduct a goodly amount of business (such as calendar planning) via
              e-mail. I do attend some district meetings (they are very nice to
              invite me), and I attend the obvious council levels events (new
              training roll out and Trainer Development Conference).

              > 6. Who do you report to in your district/council and what
              > level of support do you get from them?

              I report to the Chair of our District Training Chair, who in turn
              reports to the District Chair. He backs me up completely, but is not
              quite as proactive as I'd like. He has another Scouter who has the
              same role I do for Boy Scout training. Right now, all Venturer
              training is out of district.

              All though you probably won't report to them, you need to consider
              your relationship with the CS RTC & the ADC for CS. These folks can
              be a big help or a big pain.

              Also given that the new WB course is more integrated program, you need
              to think and ask how expectations that may exist for the Cib Trainer
              with regard to WB (e.g., I'm on staff for our next council course).

              > Thanks,
              > Jon Patten

              I think this is a great role, if your interests lie in training, and
              if your interests lie in helping other Scouters (which I think is
              harder than helping Scouts). I certainly have found it very
              satisfying. Godspeed.

              YiS,

              David

              David Gross

              SA T-142, CS RTC, DTC, UC
              Eagle/3, AOL, OA/B
              "I used to be a fox, ..."
            • Hank Voegtle
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2001
                At 11:45 PM 11/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                >SA T-142, CS RTC, DTC, UC
                >Eagle/3, AOL, OA/B
                >"I used to be a fox, ..."

                I can figure everything except Eagle/3? Whazzit?