re: Getting leaders trained

  • Aumann, Timothy B.
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
      The topic of how to get leaders trained came up on the scouts-l mailing list, and I'm cross posting to the Scouter-t mailing list to loop them in on the conversation. The subject was how to get leaders to training, and running training session before / after Roundtable.

      Has anyone considered / run training at your district Camporee? For instance, we just ran our Fall Webelos Woods weekend (similar to a Camporee, but just for Webelos). We had about 275 adults in attendance. IF I had been thinking, we would have run the Outdoor Webelos Leader training that weekend for the adults - or at least had offered New Leader Essentials / Youth Protection Training. This would have given most of the 275 adults something to do during the day (we only really needed one adult per den with the boys during the activity periods), and think of the large audience we could have reached. The same type of thing could be done at a Boy Scout Camporee, running the Introduction to Outdoor Skills class.

      Someone also mentioned recertification of leaders. For those of us who have been in the program for many years, it seems tough to go back through the training every three years (which is the standard in my district). To help with this, we have developed a one night recertification program, that covers YPT and anything new that has come out in the last three years. It has been very successful, with most of our old-timers having gone through it in the last couple of years. Does any one else have a program similar to this?

      Thanks, and YIS,
      Tim Aumann
      taumann@...
      Scoutmaster, Troop 479
      Foothills District Boy Scout Training Chair
      "I used to be a Beaver" in 92-40
      "Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle", Class of 1976
    • Darren Drevik
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
        Tim makes a very good point -- and I don't say that just because he's my
        district's Training Chair.

        Camporees and other weekend events make great opportunities where you have a
        "captive audience" of adult leaders who otherwise find it difficult to fit
        in extra evenings or weekends for training.

        Summer Camps are another great opportunity. In addition to Safe Swim
        Defense, YPT, Climb on Safely and other programs could be set up and run.
        Councils could even work with district training officers to set up one-week
        SMF and other programs for adults. My troop usually has a good turnout of
        adult leaders for the week -- why should the Scouts be the only ones to
        learn something, have fun and earn badges?

        YiS

        ||<-----------------<<||
        Darren Drevik
        Scoutmaster, Troop 75
        Marietta, Ga.
        Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle
        Class of '79
        ||<-----------------<<||

        > Has anyone considered / run training at your district Camporee? For
        instance, we just ran our Fall Webelos Woods weekend (similar to a Camporee,
        but just for Webelos). We had about 275 adults in attendance. IF I had been
        thinking, we would have run the Outdoor Webelos Leader training that weekend
        for the adults - or at least had offered New Leader Essentials / Youth
        Protection Training. This would have given most of the 275 adults something
        to do during the day (we only really needed one adult per den with the boys
        during the activity periods), and think of the large audience we could have
        reached. The same type of thing could be done at a Boy Scout Camporee,
        running the Introduction to Outdoor Skills class.
        > Thanks, and YIS,
        > Tim Aumann
        > taumann@...
        > Scoutmaster, Troop 479
        > Foothills District Boy Scout Training Chair
        > "I used to be a Beaver" in 92-40
        > "Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle", Class of 1976
      • CubBobwhite
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
          From: "Aumann, Timothy B."

          > Has anyone considered / run training at your district Camporee?

          We did just that a couple of weeks ago. We offered both New Leader
          Essentials and Youth Protection.

          --------
          Leslie H
          Blue Water Council - Port Huron, Michigan
          http://www.powwow-online.net
          http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/CubScoutRoundtable