Re: [Scouter_T] outdoor training requirement

  • Stu Allen
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
      Hi Rick.

      > What is the official requirements? (book, chapter, page and verse with date
      > of publication would be helpful, of course; I need definitive before I tell
      > the DE he's wrong.)

      As far as 'chapter and verse', take a look at the "New Leader Training"
      brochure, BSA #18-813. A .pdf is available in the 'files' area for this
      mailing list, as "NewLeaderTraining.pdf" under "Basic Leader Training Files".

      There is a white box on the first page entitled "What Makes a Trained
      Leader?". To quote in part:

      "Cub Scout leaders are considered trained when they have completed New
      Leader Essentials and the Cub Scout Leader Specific training for their
      position."

      "Scoutmasters and assistant Scoutmasters are considered trained when they
      have completed New Leader Essentials, Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster
      Leader Specific Training, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills."

      > My understanding of IOLS is that it would be inappropriate to a Pack anyway,
      > being targeted to new Boy Scout parents or, at earliest, second year Webelos
      > preparing for BS.

      I took OLS two weekends ago. The course covers the 'outdoor' requirements
      for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks for Boy Scouts, and
      includes some material that wouldn't be appropriate for Cub Scouts (such
      as the use of an axe). The target audience is definitely current and
      prospective Boy Scout Leaders. Good course BTW.

      YiS,
      Stu
      --
      Stu Allen email: allensr@...
      CM/MC Pack/Troop 92
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
        Stu,
        Just curious - how did they treat the swimming requirements?

        Pete

        > ----------
        > From: Stu Allen
        > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] outdoor training requirement
        >

        > I took OLS two weekends ago. The course covers the 'outdoor' requirements
        > for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks for Boy Scouts, and
        > includes some material that wouldn't be appropriate for Cub Scouts (such
        > as the use of an axe). The target audience is definitely current and
        > prospective Boy Scout Leaders. Good course BTW.
        >
        > YiS,
        > Stu
        > --

      • Stu Allen
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
          > Just curious - how did they treat the swimming requirements?

          They didn't -- no mention at all.

          Perhaps that's partly because for many scouts this isn't really an
          'outdoor' requirement? Up here in the frozen northeast at least,
          I'd be willing to bet that a good portion of scouts pass their
          swimming requirements in a high school or YMCA pool -- those
          are available yearround, rather than the 3 months / year that
          outdoor swimming is really an option!

          YiS,
          Stu

          --
          Stu Allen email: allensr@...
          CM/MC Pack/Troop 92
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
            It would appear that some toffee is being distributed here. The ONLY
            positions that require Outdoor Leader Training are SM and SA. AND
            anyone who has completed NLE and the Program specific training for their
            position may attend Wood Badge. cf the training chart of mine that was
            posted on this forum back in March.

            This is traight from the mouth of John Alline, the National Boy Scout
            Training Chair at the two Philmont couirses on BS Training this summer.

            Dave

            rick_scoutdad wrote:

            > I am hoping the experts of the list can settle a point of dispute in my
            > Pack. My CC reports that our DE told her (yes, its second hand at the
            > moment) that "trained" leader designation requires the New Leader Essentials
            > plus Postion Specific Training plus one of the outdoors training courses;
            > (one of BALOO, Webelos Leader Outdoor Training or Introduction to Outdoor
            > Leader Skills). Has this additional outdoor training been added to the
            > requirements for an adult leader to be designated "TRAINED"?

            [SNIP]

            > What is the official requirements? (book, chapter, page and verse with date
            > of publication would be helpful, of course; I need definitive before I tell
            > the DE he's wrong.)
            >

            > Rick Kirkwood

            To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
            the mailto: address below

            Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
            1094 Woodbury Ave., # 12 (603) 431
            5342
            Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
            Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
            possit materiari?
          • Kevin Pate
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
              > rick_scoutdad wrote:
              >
              > I am hoping the experts of the list can settle a
              > point of dispute in my Pack. My CC reports that
              > our DE told her .... that "trained" leader
              > designation requires the New Leader Essentials
              > plus Postion Specific Training plus one of the
              > outdoors training courses;

              I'm no expert, but your CC received incorrect
              information. The following is lifted directly from
              the
              BSA website:
              http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-813/

              What Makes a Trained Leader?

              Cub Scout leaders are considered trained when they
              have completed New Leader Essentials and the Cub Scout
              Leader Specific training for their position.

              Scoutmasters and assistant Scoutmasters are considered
              trained when they have completed New Leader
              Essentials, Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster
              Leader Specific Training, and Introduction to Outdoor
              Leader Skills.

              Troop committee members are considered trained when
              they have completed New Leader Essentials and the
              Troop Committee Challenge as their Leader Specific
              training.

              Varsity Scout leaders and assistants are considered
              trained when they have completed New Leader
              Essentials, Varsity Scout Leader Specific Training
              (available April 2002), and Introduction to Outdoor
              Leader Skills.

              Venturing crew Advisors, assistant Advisors, and crew
              committee members are considered trained when they
              have completed New Leader Essentials and Venturing
              Leader Specific Training.

              http://personals.yahoo.com
            • Brant Lippincott
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
                One other thing on "Trained". I believe you have to complete Youth
                Protection Training (YPT) in addition to the NLE and position-specific
                courses.

                Brant Lippincott

              • Stu Allen
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
                  > One other thing on "Trained". I believe you have to complete Youth
                  > Protection Training (YPT) in addition to the NLE and position-specific
                  > courses.

                  Actually I don't believe that IS true, although some councils have made
                  this a requirement, whether they actually have the authority to do so
                  or not. The literature from national certainly does not *say* this.

                  YiS,
                  Stu

                  --
                  Stu Allen email: allensr@...
                  CM/MC Pack/Troop 92
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
                    You are correct if you are trying to get a training award "knot". YP is
                    required to get your Den Leader, Cubmaster, etc. knot, but not to be
                    considered "trained". Check out the BSA web site for the definitions. The
                    address is: http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-813/. But I do
                    agree that YP needs to be taught during the NLE or NLS sessions. Once you
                    are trained, you get to wear the "trained" strip, the knot requires more.

                    Marshall Creighton
                    District Training Chair

                    "Brant
                    Lippincott" To: <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
                    <brantlippincott cc:
                    @...> Subject: RE: [Scouter_T] outdoor training requirement

                    10/25/2001 02:40
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to scouter_t

                    One other thing on "Trained". I believe you have to complete Youth
                    Protection Training (YPT) in addition to the NLE and position-specific
                    courses.

                    Brant Lippincott

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor