Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Slenderman Patrol Name

Expand Messages
  • Kathy New
    Our troop has a Slenderman patrol and until recently our troop committee s only knowledge of the name was that it was a smartphone/ipod game that the kids
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2014
      Our troop has a Slenderman patrol and until recently our troop committee's only knowledge of the name was that it was a smartphone/ipod game that the kids played. The goal of the game was to look for pages from a notebook with only a circle of light on the screen. The players have to avoid getting caught by Slenderman who is a tall, thin character that would suddently appear in the circle of light. Just the sight of him will cause you to lose some of your "life" until you eventually have to restart from a previous checkpoint.

      Because of a recent incident with teenage girls in Wisconsin that attacked a friend with knifes, the committee is concerned that the public's perception of this patrol may become negative and they are considering asking the patrol to change their name. We are wondering if anyone else has a Slenderman patrol that may be in a similar situation or would like to share their opinion about the game or other information they have about the character.

      Thanks for any feedback you can give us.

      Gale Rogers
      Assistant Scoutmaster
      Boy Scout Troop 53
    • Lisa Donigian
      My sons new scout patrol was changed to the Panthers after that incident. They were previously Creepy Pasta, which is the name of the website that game is on.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2014

        My sons new scout patrol was changed to the Panthers after that incident. They were previously Creepy Pasta, which is the name of the website that game is on. Some people like horror movies, books and games, and that's fine, but we figured if the boys could be convinced of a different name early on, they could avoid any negative connotations.

        Lisa

        On Jul 1, 2014 11:21 AM, "Kathy New islanew@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
         

        Our troop has a Slenderman patrol and until recently our troop committee's only knowledge of the name was that it was a smartphone/ipod game that the kids played. The goal of the game was to look for pages from a notebook with only a circle of light on the screen. The players have to avoid getting caught by Slenderman who is a tall, thin character that would suddently appear in the circle of light. Just the sight of him will cause you to lose some of your "life" until you eventually have to restart from a previous checkpoint.

        Because of a recent incident with teenage girls in Wisconsin that attacked a friend with knifes, the committee is concerned that the public's perception of this patrol may become negative and they are considering asking the patrol to change their name. We are wondering if anyone else has a Slenderman patrol that may be in a similar situation or would like to share their opinion about the game or other information they have about the character.

        Thanks for any feedback you can give us.

        Gale Rogers
        Assistant Scoutmaster
        Boy Scout Troop 53

      • A. Dukovic
        Ladies, regardless of how you attempt to raise your children, they ARE affected by what they watch on TV and social media regardless.  Always remember you are
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2014
          Ladies, regardless of how you attempt to raise your children, they ARE affected by what they watch on TV and social media regardless.  Always remember you are the parent and until they move "out of the nest" are YOUR responsibility.

          The issue you're considering has been around forever and most Units simply give the boys the option of choosing ONLY from what BSA has available for the uniform and what BSA deems appropriate; yes, they even offer a "blank" patch but it is seldom used.

          Scouting should be "boy led" but NOT boy "dominated"; as adults and especially while they're still in the "nest" your responsibility is to "guide" them toward the right decision and NOT let them just do what ever they think, exactly the problem in Wisconsin??

          BP didn't start Scouting by saying OK, do what ever you want fellas but he gave them a specific program to follow with specific guidelines just like we all follow, with "choices" that followed both the Scout Law and Oath and it's lasted over a 100 years now. 

          Limiting their Patrol name "choices" to what BSA offers violates NOTHING but "guides" your youth into making good "choices" they can live by; we unfortunately confuse "boy led" with "boy run" folks and that's where the problems start??   Unit Committee and Leaders have the responsibility to guide both youth and adults so their "choices" are simple to follow easier to live by; something I'm thinking, did NOT happen with those two little girls in Wisconsin?? 

          - Art

          From: "Lisa Donigian CubScoutDen@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
          To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
          Sent: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:51 AM
          Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Slenderman Patrol Name

           
          My sons new scout patrol was changed to the Panthers after that incident. They were previously Creepy Pasta, which is the name of the website that game is on. Some people like horror movies, books and games, and that's fine, but we figured if the boys could be convinced of a different name early on, they could avoid any negative connotations.
          Lisa
          On Jul 1, 2014 11:21 AM, "Kathy New islanew@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
           
          Our troop has a Slenderman patrol and until recently our troop committee's only knowledge of the name was that it was a smartphone/ipod game that the kids played. The goal of the game was to look for pages from a notebook with only a circle of light on the screen. The players have to avoid getting caught by Slenderman who is a tall, thin character that would suddently appear in the circle of light. Just the sight of him will cause you to lose some of your "life" until you eventually have to restart from a previous checkpoint.

          Because of a recent incident with teenage girls in Wisconsin that attacked a friend with knifes, the committee is concerned that the public's perception of this patrol may become negative and they are considering asking the patrol to change their name. We are wondering if anyone else has a Slenderman patrol that may be in a similar situation or would like to share their opinion about the game or other information they have about the character.

          Thanks for any feedback you can give us.

          Gale Rogers
          Assistant Scoutmaster
          Boy Scout Troop 53


        • Mark Liechty
          ... We let our patrol pick names with the approval of the SM. I have seen problems with Patrol names that are official BSA names. The most vivid was the group
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2014
            On Jul 1, 2014, at 10:08 AM, 'A. Dukovic' artdukovic@... [scouter_t] <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Limiting their Patrol name "choices" to what BSA offers violates NOTHING but "guides" your youth into making good "choices" they can live by; we unfortunately confuse "boy led" with "boy run" folks and that's where the problems start??   Unit Committee and Leaders have the responsibility to guide both youth and adults so their "choices" are simple to follow easier to live by; something I'm thinking, did NOT happen with those two little girls in Wisconsin?? 
            ###########



            We let our patrol pick names with the approval of the SM.  I have seen problems with Patrol names that are official BSA names.

            The most vivid was the group of 16 year olds who decided to become the Beaver patrol and wandered around the camp-o-ree with a very vulgar patrol yell in reference to eating females in a way that was not overly in-line with our mission statement.

            On the other hand there have been some new Scout Patrols with names that could have been abused by older boys but the kids were truly pure and having fun.

            We give these guys enough responsibility that they can die or seriously hurt each other.  We need to trust that they can find a silly patrol name.




            Mark Liechty
            ASM Troop 160
            916-769-4975
            GEC, Sierra Gateway District 
            Eagle Class of 1982
            Vigil Honor Member, Amangi Nacha Lodge
             
            Always remember that:
            Raising strong young men is NOT a "no-more no-less" job.
            Paying for bail and jail time for ARE  "no-more no-less" tasks.
            What you do with YOUR time is YOUR decision.

          • eagle9252
            In short no... if you feel the need to ask in hopes someone will give you the answer your looking for to say its OK... then its not. On Jul 1, 2014 1:17 PM,
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2014

              In short no... if you feel the need to ask in hopes someone will give you the answer your looking for to say its OK... then its not.

              On Jul 1, 2014 1:17 PM, "Mark Liechty news@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
               

              On Jul 1, 2014, at 10:08 AM, 'A. Dukovic' artdukovic@... [scouter_t] <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


              Limiting their Patrol name "choices" to what BSA offers violates NOTHING but "guides" your youth into making good "choices" they can live by; we unfortunately confuse "boy led" with "boy run" folks and that's where the problems start??   Unit Committee and Leaders have the responsibility to guide both youth and adults so their "choices" are simple to follow easier to live by; something I'm thinking, did NOT happen with those two little girls in Wisconsin?? 
              ###########



              We let our patrol pick names with the approval of the SM.  I have seen problems with Patrol names that are official BSA names.

              The most vivid was the group of 16 year olds who decided to become the Beaver patrol and wandered around the camp-o-ree with a very vulgar patrol yell in reference to eating females in a way that was not overly in-line with our mission statement.

              On the other hand there have been some new Scout Patrols with names that could have been abused by older boys but the kids were truly pure and having fun.

              We give these guys enough responsibility that they can die or seriously hurt each other.  We need to trust that they can find a silly patrol name.




              Mark Liechty
              ASM Troop 160
              GEC, Sierra Gateway District 
              Eagle Class of 1982
              Vigil Honor Member, Amangi Nacha Lodge
               
              Always remember that:
              Raising strong young men is NOT a "no-more no-less" job.
              Paying for bail and jail time for ARE  "no-more no-less" tasks.
              What you do with YOUR time is YOUR decision.

            • Connie Knie
              Wow, I hadn t heard of this horrible incident. This is a tough question. So I asked my husband who is the SM. He thought about it a lot and agreed this was a
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 20, 2014
                Wow,
                I hadn't heard of this horrible incident. This is a tough question. So I asked my husband who is the SM. He thought about it a lot and agreed this was a tough one. Eventually he said that he might sit the boys down and ask them if they thought that this Slenderman character really represents who they are and how they want to be thought of as a patrol.....
                 
                Connie

                From: "Kathy New islanew@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
                 

                 
                Our troop has a Slenderman patrol and until recently our troop committee's only knowledge of the name was that it was a smartphone/ipod game that the kids played. The goal of the game was to look for pages from a notebook with only a circle of light on the screen. The players have to avoid getting caught by Slenderman who is a tall, thin character that would suddently appear in the circle of light. Just the sight of him will cause you to lose some of your "life" until you eventually have to restart from a previous checkpoint.

                Because of a recent incident with teenage girls in Wisconsin that attacked a friend with knifes, the committee is concerned that the public's perception of this patrol may become negative and they are considering asking the patrol to change their name. We are wondering if anyone else has a Slenderman patrol that may be in a similar situation or would like to share their opinion about the game or other information they have about the character.

              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.