Father and Son Trip to Philmont 2015

  • rdcrisco
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2014

       My aspergers son is willing to go to Philmont in Summer 2015, but he wants me to go also.  So I am asking how should I approach this?   This will be my first Philmont trip and I see so many programs but I am unsure what would be good to do.

      Any Suggestions?

    • Mark Liechty
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2014
        On Jun 30, 2014, at 12:48 PM, rdcrisco@... [scouter_t] <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

         My aspergers son is willing to go to Philmont in Summer 2015, but he wants me to go also.  So I am asking how should I approach this?   This will be my first Philmont trip and I see so many programs but I am unsure what would be good to do.

        ##########

        Call your council and find a crew that has openings.  Maybe you can find one and if not then it is time to recruit enough and see if you can get a spot for next year.

        Your job as a crew leader is to get everyone there and back and try to keep up.  The Scouts pick the itinerary and program.

        He may be able to get on one of the special trek\programs but none of  them allow us old people.

        Hang out on this list for a few months and you will get a fee for what needs to  happen fro your view to the world.  It is an amazing experience to see the growth of the kids.   As for your son’s challenges unless there is some massive physical or dietary reason my bet is you both get in shape and make sure he takes his meds.  Other than that he is just another crew member and is only going to be “special” if you make it that way.

        Mark Liechty
        ASM Troop 160
        Philmont AA 2006-2010, 2012 crew 803-c
        GEC, Sierra Gateway District Training Chair
        Eagle Class of 1982
        Vigil Honor Member, Amangi Nacha Lodge

        Always remember that:
        Raising strong young men is NOT a "no-more no-less" job.
        Paying for bail and jail time for ARE  "no-more no-less" tasks.
        What you do with YOUR time is YOUR decision.

      • p5a7u5l
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2014
          I don't think there are any trek spaces open in 2015.

          I know the demand for Philmont Treks is more than what they can take so so in order to get a slot for 2015 you had to submit your intent in order to be considered for the 2015 lottery that was held in the fall of 2013!

          I'd send an e-mail to PSR and ask about 2015 treks. If they tell you there are no slots available, ask them about slots for 2016.

          Paul Y
          PTC (Philmont Training Center) Ambassador
          Inland Northwest Council
          Spokane WA
          "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
        • kevinpate@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2014

            What about creating an Autumn Adventure group or the winter experience at Philmont as alternatives to summer treks?

            Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2014
              On Jun 30, 2014, at 4:04 PM, 'kevinpate@...' kevinpate@... [scouter_t] <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              What about creating an Autumn Adventure group or the winter experience at Philmont as alternatives to summer treks?

              ##########

              Autumn Adventure is probably the greatest hidden secret in all of Scouting.  Have done this 5x.   Less than 200 people (under 100 3x) on the ENTIRE Philmont property and you can pretty much do what you want.

              I have gone with all Adult crews.  My understanding is that if you take youth you must stay in the youth\adults rations but my guess is you can call and get that adjusted.  Unlike the required pre scion that HAS to happen for the summer program to work there is a lot more room for customization in that program.

              Sorry I did not think of that option.  My that time most kids are in School again.

              I also made  mistake and thought this was the Philmont list.  For those interested here is the link to that amazing resource.

              Scouting E-mail Discussion Lists @ usscouts.org
              Listserv Commands at http://usscouts.org/lists/lc.asp

              As you gather around this virtual campfire with fellow
              Scouts and Scouters, do your best to be trustworthy,
              loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient,
              cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

              MORE INFO!
              See discussion at: http://philmontforum.com
              Additional information: http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/philmont.html

              Mark Liechty
              ASM Troop 160
              Philmont AA 2006-2010, 2012 crew 803-c
              GEC, Sierra Gateway District Training Chair
              Eagle Class of 1982
              Vigil Honor Member, Amangi Nacha Lodge

              Always remember that:
              Raising strong young men is NOT a "no-more no-less" job.
              Paying for bail and jail time for ARE  "no-more no-less" tasks.
              What you do with YOUR time is YOUR decision.

            • A. Dukovic
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2014
                There are also "abbreviated" treks at the end of each season; you might consider one of these for your first time??

                - Art

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 20 4:16 PM
                  Well I have to tell you that I called Philmont two days ago and added a whole new trek to a the week we are attending in 2015. So now we have 30 people going!

                  I am hearing that attendance is down because units are checking out Summit

                  Connie

                  From: "paulp575@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20 4:20 PM
                    This isn't something that you can usually just decide to do one day and voila make it happen......... now that being said there are groups going that may have room to take provisional scouts. As far as adults, usually crews take the minimum amount of adults so that more youth can go.

                    Maybe you can see if your council has a contingent going. If it were me, I would be calling Philmont and seeing if there isn't something they can suggest. You can talk to Betty. She's fantastic!!

                    Connie

                    From: "rdcrisco@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                     My aspergers son is willing to go to Philmont in Summer 2015, but he wants me to go also.  So I am asking how should I approach this?   This will be my first Philmont trip and I see so many programs but I am unsure what would be good to do.

                    Any Suggestions?

                  • Sean Waiss - AOL
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 21 7:16 AM

                      The other consideration for 2015 is NOAC.  Many Scouts have to make the hard choice between one of the HA bases and NOAC/NJ, and can only afford one, so the year of a NOAC or National Jamboree often sees more availability at the high adventure bases.

                      Sean A. Waiss

                      Sturtevant, WI 53177

                      (262) 884-0936