Fw: New Tools Training Data

  • Michael Crothers
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 13, 2014
      This is a Heads Up to all Council Training Chairs and Advisors.

      Just got word from National BSA that “New Tools” allows the unit key three to enter training with dates and update existing training with new dates.

      They did tests on this function and found that there was no need for a third party to validate these entries made by unit key three. Remember a scout is honest.

      The only saving grace is the council registrar can back out any invalid training data once it is discovered.

      Yours In Scouting

      Michael A. Crothers | Area 6 Training Chair

      BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
      Central Region, Area 6

      1235 Torrence Dr.
      Springfield, OH 45503-2049
      Cell (937) 360-1903

    • Mark Liechty
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 13, 2014
        YEAH!!!!!!

        JTE ratings will go way up and that means we can boast about what a great job we are doing to major donors.  Look at all the additional money this will raise.    What a great idea.   And the best part is it requires no effort on anyone’s part to get trained especially whn that training does not mean anything in the first place.

        Well done.  Very well done indeed.

        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
          This has always been the case. I kept it on the DL from most of my unit leaders...........

          Connie

          From: "Michael Crothers dowrightbw@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

          This is a Heads Up to all Council Training Chairs and Advisors.

          Just got word from National BSA that “New Tools” allows the unit key three to enter training with dates and update existing training with new dates.

        • p5a7u5l
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
            Are you saying the Key 3 have always been ab le to update training records? That's been my understanding all along.

            The change I'm waiting for is the enhancement called "Key 3 Plus" which will give Key 3 at ALL levels the ability to add 3 people to the system. I need that as I'm now the Council Training Registrar.

            Paul Y
            Council Training Registrar
            Inland Northwest Council
            Spokane WA
            "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

            From: "Michael Crothers dowrightbw@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
              Yes, the ability of the K3 to update training records has been there. They just can't update their own........ I know others are also interested in the K3 Plus, but Paul, are you wanting to get added to all the units? I used to think that it would be useful to be added to my units that I am UC for, but in reality, I don't know why. Except just to see what is what, but not to change anything..........

              Connie

              From: "paulp575@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
                As Council Training Registrar, I should have access to ALL volunteer training records so if anyone has a problem, I can look at their records. Also, would be nice for me to be able to update them as many volunteers are not computer literate - although the new My Training Tools are, at least to myself, rather easy to use.

                Considering how bad my training record was, I would not expect any of the council staff members to devote the amount of time it would take to update all 5,000-plus training records. Our plan (Council Training Chair and myself) is to start with one distrcit (and maybe just one level, i.e., Cub Scouts) and get their records updated. And then slovly move forward. Yes, it's going to take a long time, but the records did not get messed up overnight so its going to take a while to get them updated.

                The Council Training Chair wants me to be able to not only update all the records, but also be able to pull various training statistics from the system. I am hopeful the Key 3 Plus will allow me to do this. I only know one of the 3 Council Key 3 (the Council Commissioner is the husband of the Council Training Chair).

                I think each UC will be able to at least view the complete records of any of their units, but not sure just yet. The most important part of all this is to ensure each individual is properly registered with the correct position code. This may require individuals to submit multiple Adult Applications so each position code is backed up with some type of documentation.

                Paul Y
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
                  I am a council training chair and I am lucky because my council has arrange for me to have a limited access to ScoutNet. I download every month from the program function the training status and YPT status with dates of every Scouter in my council.

                  I put this info on a council wide spread sheet. If ypu would like a sample I can E-mail it to you.

                  You on the other hand should try using unit training tracking on MyScouting. If you can see what I can you will get a list of all registered Scouters by unit and all training they have taken with dates that was recorded in ScoutNet.

                  Yours In Scouting
                  Mike Crothers
                  Tecumseh Council Training Chair
                  Springfield Ohio

                  and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
                  and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
                    The problem with Unit Training Tracking is that it is going away.

                    Connie

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
                      Wow Paul,
                      You do have a big job ahead of you and more power to you. But if you have to wait for each unit to give you access that is going to be such a pain don't you think?

                      I am hoping that the new Commissioner Tool Box will give us (UCs) access.

                      Connie

                      From: "paulp575@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
                        Not only is Unit Tracking going away, from what I'm reading/hearing, ScoutNET will eventually be migrated into the new MyScouting Tools so there will be only one database for everything.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
                          I'm hoping I don't have to get each unit's permission to access their training records. That would take forever and I doubt some units even know about let alone understand the new MyScouting Tools.

                          If I'm understanding the new MyScouting Tools correctly, currently each Key 3 can review and update any of the records for the units under them - except the Key 3's individual training record. (No individual can update their own training record. It has to be done by either their Key 3 or the council registrar.)

                          So with that understanding, I'm now registered at the council level. According to the training folks, the Key 3 Plus enhancement hasn't been released, but is coming. With that I should be able to get access to all the unit training records (both being able to review and update) plus pull various training reports/statistics.

                          Paul Y
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
                            So being registered as the Council training chair will get you automatic access with the new tools?

                            I must say, how comfortable with units be with the fact that anyone registered at the council level has access to their accounts?

                            Just curious. I am not an alarmist, but then again, I have been surprised by the stuff that doesn't bother me but gets others' knickers in a twist
                            Connie

                            From: "paulp575@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
                              No I can not get access to the new tools training data.

                              National says the councils across America's district and executive board registration is all  screwed up and they will not allow access for fear the wrong people will get access to information they should not have.

                              From: "paulp575@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                              So with that understanding, I'm now registered at the council level. According to the training folks, the Key 3 Plus enhancement hasn't been released, but is coming. With that I should be able to get access to all the unit training records (both being able to review and update) plus pull various training reports/statistics.

                            • Dan Smith
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014

                                Unit Visit Tracking isn't really going away. It is being incorporated into My Scouting Tools and it is supposed to be a new and improved version. It is currently being "road tested" in several councils and will be released for everyone later this year.

                                Dan Smith
                                Chattahoochee District Commissioner
                                Northeast Georgia Council

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 14, 2014
                                  I am not certain that being registered as Council Training Registrar will give me access to all the unit/district Training records. However, after discussions with both the council registrar and the Director of Field Service, they felt that would be the best way to get access. Of course, access will probably still have to be given (under the upcoming Key 3 Plus enhancement) by one of the council Key 3.

                                  As to how willing units will be to this. It all depends. If they want my help in getting their records updated, then access needs to happen. As I previously stated, I dont see the council staff or professionals updating all these records.

                                  Paul Y
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 16, 2014
                                    What exactly does that mean?  And I guess that still begs the question, when/if the tools are up and doing all they are supposed to, will each unit need to give access individually?

                                    Connie

                                    From: "Michael Crothers dowrightbw@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 16, 2014
                                      Unit Key three can change and/or enter new training with dates now.

                                      Soon hopefully the district key three can. They will also be able to add district committee members (3 not sure) access.

                                      Yours In Scouting
                                      Mike Crothers

                                      From: "Michael Crothers dowrightbw@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                        So the hope is that the District K3 will be able to add UCs and training positions such as yourself to the units?

                                        They will ask first right?

                                        Connie

                                        From: "Michael Crothers dowrightbw@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                          No I am the council training chair. I am not a member of the different district committees, so I can not be selected to view their data.

                                          Yours In Scouting
                                          Mike Crothers

                                          From: "Michael Crothers dowrightbw@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                            Last I heard/read, once the "Key 3 Plus" enhancement is released, the Key 3 will be able to add 3 people. Not sure if that's 3 people total or 9 people total.

                                            In some Districts that's nowhere near enough access for all the UCs. I think UCs, if they are properly registered, will be given access to the units they are assigned to. From what I understand (not on the Dist Comr staff, but have worked with the Dist Comr on this), under the current UVS the DC has to manually add each UC and then specify which unit's in the district the UC is responsible for.

                                            I have asked the BSA Training Team whether "registered position" is the same as "position code". It seems like all of this will be based upon your registered position. So it's going to be important that each person is registered in ALL the positions they hold.

                                            When I recently changed from District Advancement & Recognition Chair to Council training Registrar, I had to complete a new Adult Application (AA) to a provide paper trail. Others will have to fill out an AA if they are not currently properly registered.

                                            Paul Y
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                              So after all that, what is going to be the "best case" scenario for you and the monumental task of cleaning up the training records?
                                              I admire your willingness to take on that mess by the way.

                                              Connie

                                              From: "Michael Crothers dowrightbw@... [scouter_t]" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                                It is your registered position by position code.

                                                I have been told many districts don't have a chair registered or have more than one.

                                                That is why they (national) says the registration is all fouled up.

                                                Yours In Scouting

                                                Mike Crothers

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                                  Our guess (Council Registrar and Director of Field Service) feel that by registering at the council level - as the Council Training Registrar - I will be positioned to have access to all the records. That is of course, based upon the Council key 3 giving me permission to access the records.

                                                  Right now, it is my understanding that the Council Key 3 can see all the records of every unit in the council. Not sure they can change anything, but think they can at least read and generate various reports.

                                                  On the Facebook BSA Training Team's page, I'm exchanging messages about how I need to be registered in order to update any training records (except my own - which no one can do. Currently only the Council Registrar or any Key 3 at the same level I'm registered at can update my training record - which I'm in the process of working on right now).

                                                  As for taking on this huge job - I was able to bring a lot of order to the District Merit Badge Counselor List - but it took some time. I think having done that helped get me offered this responsibility. And the Council Training Chair has very limited computer experience. I have worked with her (as District Training Chair and now she is the Council Training Chair). She was the one sho specifically asked me to help her with this.

                                                  So far, I have a good feeling this will all happen; it's just a matter of time. Since the training records got messed up over a long period of time, it will take a long time to get everything corrected.

                                                  And, hopefully with the Council Commissioner being the husband of the Council training Chair, I am hoping to get  him to give me the reports/information I need until such time as I get access.

                                                  Paul Y
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                                    Here is what I have been doing.
                                                    a. The council gave limited access to MyBSA (ScoutNet).

                                                    b. Once a month I go to the program section/training report.

                                                    c. I download by program/registered position all unit Scouters.
                                                    1. It gives me unit, registered position, if trained (yes/no), status of required training for the registered position, all ypt training dates if any & even if expired.

                                                    d. I select ScoutNet, registration by position , non unit, district name and get all name for each district position, I check YPT and if they have taken the training for their position.

                                                    e. I do the same for exec. board and Merit Badge Counselors.

                                                    f. I than bounce it against my master list and up date as necessary.

                                                    Yours In Scouting
                                                    Mike Crothers

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                                      Have you looked at the new MyScouting Tools?

                                                      If not, I would strongly suggest you become familiar with them because ScoutNET is eventually going to be migrated into the new MyScouting Tools. While the new MyScouting Tools may not give you all the functionality currently available in ScoutNET, you should start becoming familiar so when ScoutNET is gone, you will feel comfortable about using the new My Scouting Tools.

                                                      And, there might be something missing in the new MyScouting Tools that you really need. For example, in the new MyScouting Tools Training Manager, they were going to do away with the training course codes (use only course titles). I complained and because so may others also did, they decided to keep the training course codes. Might help to get what you need.

                                                      Paul Y
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                                        As an executive board I only see my profile camping and advancement numbers. I have no access to any training data in New Tools.

                                                        Yours In Scouting
                                                        Mike Crothers

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                                          Understand; wasn't sure what your registered position was.

                                                          I know sometime this year a new online advancement tool will become part of the new MyScouting Tolls (will replace the current Online Advancement system).

                                                          Not sure about any type of camping tool, but if it's currently in ScoutNET/MyBSA, that will also some time in the future become part of the new MyScouting Tools.

                                                          Paul Y
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                                            Wow....... so when you run across someone who needs training you let them know? And you do this for the whole District?

                                                            Connie

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                                              One of the future enhancements to the new MyScxouting Tools is the system is supposed to notify you when you are at the 90-days prior to training expiration. The system is going to send you an e-mail - so let'
                                                              s hope everyone's e-mail address is current!

                                                              If you look at the new MyScouting Tools, you'll see 3 training statuses:

                                                              Trained (broken down into 4 sub-categories:
                                                              Expires 91d-2yrs (or whatever the training is good for)
                                                              Expires 61-90d
                                                              Expires 31-60d
                                                              Expires 1-30d
                                                              Expired
                                                              Never Taken

                                                              I'm looking at the 2014-02-06 Training Manager PowerPoint presentation. It states "Key 3 will be able to add and search training, print member’s training certificate(s), print Trained Leaders report and YPT Aging report." The YPT Aging report is one of several reports that will eventually be available in the new MyScouting Tools.

                                                              Paul Y
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jun 17, 2014
                                                                I send to each district key 3 plus training chair the status each month in a spread sheet by district and unit. I also send it to the council commissioner.

                                                                Yours In Scouting
                                                                Mike Crothers