Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 2853

  • Tim Yagley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2013
      Don't forget the most important training of all....YPT!

      YIS,

      Tim Yagley
      Scoutmaster, Troop 889

      From: michaeldotson@...
      Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:49:49 +0000
      Subject: [Scouter_T] Trip Adult Leader

      BSA says that a trip requires at least one trained adult leader over 21. It doesn't say the adult leader needs to be a registered Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster. Is that true? I have some adults who get trained with Boy Scout Leader training, including IOLS, but do not want to be ASMs. Can they just be registered adults who are trained?

      Michael Dotson, Scoutmaster T88, San Francisco CA

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (6) . Top ^

      1d
      Re: Trip Adult Leader

      Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:16 am (PDT) . Posted by:
      "Jamie Niss Dunn" infoscouter

      <<Can they just be registered adults who are trained? >>

      Well, they have to be registered as *something*, either a committee member, an assistant or Scoutmaster, or in rare cases, Unit Scouter Reserve. You can't register as a generic 'leader' or 'adult'.

      If they're committee members, they need to take Troop Committee Challenge to be considered trained. SM/ASM position specific training and IOLS are not necessary, but helpful for committee members.

      And yes, if they've registered and had a background check, and taken Youth Protection training they *could* serve as the leader on camping trip.

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Cubmaster, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (6) . Top ^

      1e
      Re: Trip Adult Leader

      Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:03 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
      "Jenn" jenn_marques

      That is technically not true. You can be registered as a scout parent on the troop level. That is their title.

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com , Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

      > <<Can they just be registered adults who are trained? >>
      >

      > Well, they have to be registered as *something*, either a committee member, an assistant or Scoutmaster, or in rare cases, Unit Scouter Reserve. You can't register as a generic 'leader' or 'adult'.
      >
      > If they're committee members, they need to take Troop Committee Challenge to be considered trained. SM/ASM position specific training and IOLS are not necessary, but helpful for committee members.
      >
      > And yes, if they've registered and had a background check, and taken Youth Protection training they *could* serve as the leader on camping trip.
      >

      > Jamie Niss Dunn
      > Cubmaster, Pack 512
      > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      > Troop Committee, Troop 509
      > Ham Lake, MN
      > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      > Three Rivers District

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (6) . Top ^

      1f
      Re: Trip Adult Leader

      Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:28 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
      "Jamie Niss Dunn" infoscouter

      <<You can be registered as a scout parent on the troop level. That is their title. >>

      The "ScoutParent" designation was never a registered position. It was an agreement by the parent to be involved in their son's Scouting experience, but no background check was ever conducted and no training was required. People that, that because those individuals who marked the "ScoutParent" bubble showed up on a roster, that they were registered. They weren't. Tiger Partners show up on a Cub Pack roster, but they aren't registered either - just parents who are involved as a consequence of their son's registration - like Scout Parents.

      The ScoutParent designation has been eliminated as of July 1: http://scout-wire.org/2013/04/18/scoutparent-designation-to-end-july-1/

      The article from ScoutWire says this:

      "As part of our ongoing efforts to strengthen the protection of youth in our programs, the designation of parents of youth members in traditional programs as ScoutParents will end effective July 1. BSA literature, forms, and processes are being revised to match this change in program.
      Councils should encourage current ScoutParents to now officially register as dues-paying adult volunteers or leaders if they are not already so registered.
      To help facilitate this, the unit Scouter Reserve position (91U) has been created for supportive adults who have no immediate specific leadership role. Like all registered BSA adult positions, this new role will require a criminal background check and the completion of Youth Protection training.
      The position of unit ScoutParent coordinator (PC) will remain a registered position with the name changed to parent coordinator."

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Cubmaster, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (6) . Top ^

      Visit Your Group

      View All Topics

      Create New Topic

      2 New Members