Re: [Scouter_T] FW: Scouting Safely: Question

  • Chip Coy
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 21, 2013
      The Tour and Activity Plan appears to require a BALOO trained adult for any cub scout camping outing.

      The best person to ask is the person who approves the Tour and Activity Plans you submit. If they will not approve without a BALOO trained adult then you have your answer, or at least your answer until you convince them otherwise.

      If you're in the central Texas area I can make you a deal on getting both BALOO and the Outdoor Webelos Leader class next weekend (Friday evening to end of day Saturday).

      Chip.
      On Apr 21, 2013, at 10:09 PM, frank wrote:

      > Sure, it's probably spot on. The trouble comes when folks start relying on e-mails, and anouncements, and what they heard at RT or at a training. There's no place to go to read more about it. It perpetuates the idea that the publication is fine, "but here's the real scoop on that". Most of what folks hear about that can't be found in a pub is misconstrued, or wrong. How many times did you hear an announcement about something that turned out to be baloney? After being burned a few times, one learns to just go by the book and ignore the talk. If it's true, the new version of the book will reflect it.
      > Frank
      >
      > >________________________________

    • A. Dukovic
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013
        Look all, the bottom line is you really need somebody "trained" when you're exposing new parents and Cub Scouts to perhaps, their first camping experience??  It's the real purpose behind the training??

        A "bad experience" can literally turn-off parents and future Boy Scouts to the program and do any of you want that, really??  How many times have you been on camping experiences where the "know-it-alls" have made your life miserable and again, this is what this training is designed to help with; "required" or not folks, common sense would dictate to have somebody there that's really "trained" to give the boys the very best program we can offer them.

        Bottom line is a "great experience" encourages the boys AND parents who'll want to volunteer maybe ... food for thought?? We already know what a "bad experience" can do as well??

        - Art
        The Tour and Activity Plan appears to require a BALOO trained adult for any cub scout camping outing.

        The best person to ask is the person who approves the Tour and Activity Plans you submit. If they will not approve without a BALOO trained adult then you have your answer, or at least your answer until you convince them otherwise.

        If you're in the central Texas area I can make you a deal on getting both BALOO and the Outdoor Webelos Leader class next weekend (Friday evening to end of day Saturday).

        Chip.
        On Apr 21, 2013, at 10:09 PM, frank wrote:

        > Sure, it's probably spot on. The trouble comes when folks start relying on e-mails, and anouncements, and what they heard at RT or at a training. There's no place to go to read more about it. It perpetuates the idea that the publication is fine, "but here's the real scoop on that". Most of what folks hear about that can't be found in a pub is misconstrued, or wrong. How many times did you hear an announcement about something that turned out to be baloney? After being burned a few times, one learns to just go by the book and ignore the talk. If it's true, the new version of the book will reflect it.
        > Frank
        >
        > >________________________________

      • apatschin75
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013
          Excellent thought. I tend to lurk and not say a lot, but training is not
          intended to be a punishment or impediment to Scouting activities.
          Sometimes folks lose sight of that.

        • A. Dukovic
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013
            Thanks, some of the conversations made "required" sound like a "sentence" rather than what it is, help with the "program"??

            This is allegedly a "trainer" site correct, so why all the complaining; again, just a little knowledge makes everything run smoother and we all know the "networking" is the best part of BSA training??

            Keep the faith folks please; we all know "bad" but we want the boy's experience to be the very best it can be and training can help that!!

            - Art

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013
              Ok this may seem like splitting hairs BUT................. there are two different things being discussed.

              First a disclaimer. I am all about training. I would much rather have all of the leaders trained before they take anyone anywhere...... BUT .......... the discussion started because the thought is that OWL and BALOO are required before a WL can take the youth camping.

               The discussion is not whether they should be trained but do they have to be...........

              Yes this is a training group, and misinformation is our worst enemy.........

              And until I see it in official documentation I will maintain that National does not require these trainings prior to the leaders taking the youth camping.......

              Connie

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013
                I do understand, but my message is the same; to do our best we've got to know just what the heck we're doing and yes, National is messed up at times but who cares??  If the boys are getting the "best" we can offer, who suffers??

                Again, we know they're going to suffer from a "bad" experience so why take the chance??  I hate folks that make everything "required" and invent rules that aren't there but for Scouting training I always ask just how "comfortable" folks are with what they're going to do?? If an adult doesn't care about his/her "trained" strip but knows what they're doing, they're ahead of the game but if they hesitate I always suggest "training" so they don't look like dopes in front of other adults or the boys especially.

                Again sorry, "should" or "have to" aren't much different when it affects "program" right??

                - Art

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                  The difference between "required/must" and "best practice" is decidedly different when the unit is "forced" to cancel their outing due to a leader not having completed the training.

                  Frank

                  >________________________________
                  > From: A. Dukovic <artdukovic@...>
                  >

                  >I do understand, but my message is the same; to do our best we've got to know just what the heck we're doing and yes, National is messed up at times but who cares??  If the boys are getting the "best" we can offer, who suffers??

                  >Again, we know they're going to suffer from a "bad" experience so why take the chance??  I hate folks that make everything "required" and invent rules that aren't there but for Scouting training I always ask just how "comfortable" folks are with what they're going to do?? If an adult doesn't care about his/her "trained" strip but knows what they're doing, they're ahead of the game but if they hesitate I always suggest "training" so they don't look like dopes in front of other adults or the boys especially.

                  >Again sorry, "should" or "have to" aren't much different when it affects "program" right??
                  >
                  >- Art
                  >
                  >--- On Mon, 4/22/13, Connie Knie <mailto:cknie23100%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                  >Ok this may seem like splitting hairs BUT................. there are two different things being discussed.

                  >First a disclaimer. I am all about training. I would much rather have all of the leaders trained before they take anyone anywhere...... BUT .......... the discussion started because the thought is that OWL and BALOO are required before a WL can take the youth camping.

                  > The discussion is not whether they should be trained but do they have to be...........

                  >Yes this is a training group, and misinformation is our worst enemy.........

                  >And until I see it in official documentation I will maintain that National does not require these trainings prior to the leaders taking the youth camping.......
                  >
                  >Connie
                  >
                  >--- On Mon, 4/22/13, A. Dukovic <mailto:artdukovic%40yahoo.com> wrote:
                  >
                  >Thanks, some of the conversations made "required" sound like a "sentence" rather than what it is, help with the "program"??

                  >This is allegedly a "trainer" site correct, so why all the complaining; again, just a little knowledge makes everything run smoother and we all know the "networking" is the best part of BSA training??

                  .

                • A. Dukovic
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                    Very true Frank but the reason we're following BSAs rules is so we're covered by their insurance I'm thinkin??  Yep, we all want the best "program" possible for the boys and nobody really wants to "cancel" an outing for any reason, especially lack of "training" but some Parents unfortunately don't care about getting trained or "helping out" UNTIL Junior comes home complaining that his campout was cancelled for "lack of interest" by Parents??

                    The minimum is 2 deep we all know, but trips to the hospital, emergencies, etc. mandate more leaders are always needed which is why they "require" some training; being prepared also means trained for what MAY happen I'm thinkin??

                    "Forced to cancel" is better than "why didn't we think of that before" or OOPS after something has happened!!

                    - Art

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                      "...the reason we're following BSAs rules is so we're covered by their insurance..."
                      What does that mean? Sounds like the ol' insurance boogeyman ploy that has been repeated over and over for years and years, yet never in print, never in G2SS, never in a syllabus.

                      "The minimum is 2 deep we all know, but trips to the hospital, emergencies, etc. mandate more leaders are always needed which is why they 'require' some training..."
                      Mandate? So is it two or some other number?  It is disingenuous and confusing to tell folks "two", and in the same breath say it's more.   When the trainer hems and haws about a rule or a policy, folks taking the training tend to dismiss it and wind up doing what they want for lack of clear direction.

                      And look at this discussion.  38+ posts between training people and no agreement to a simple question:  is or is not BALOO required?

                      This is why I NEVER pay any attention to talk that cannot be backed up in writing. Tell me the rule, and then tell me where I can read more about it.

                      Frank

                      >________________________________

                    • A. Dukovic
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                        Ok, ya got me there??  The 2 thinnest books in Scouting are their "Rules & Regulations" and "Charter & Bylaws" which leaves the rest kinda to us; instead of "volumes" of rules and requirements that only the friggin lawyers can figure out, I like it this way myself.

                        And yeah, sorry about the "insurance boogeyman" but I've found most adults need an "attention getter" for them to listen at times but I never want to have the need to test the rumor myself??

                        - Art
                        "...the reason we're following BSAs rules is so we're covered by their insurance..."
                        What does that mean? Sounds like the ol' insurance boogeyman ploy that has been repeated over and over for years and years, yet never in print, never in G2SS, never in a syllabus.

                        "The minimum is 2 deep we all know, but trips to the hospital, emergencies, etc. mandate more leaders are always needed which is why they 'require' some training..."
                        Mandate? So is it two or some other number?  It is disingenuous and confusing to tell folks "two", and in the same breath say it's more.   When the trainer hems and haws about a rule or a policy, folks taking the training tend to dismiss it and wind up doing what they want for lack of clear direction.

                        And look at this discussion.  38+ posts between training people and no agreement to a simple question:  is or is not BALOO required?

                        This is why I NEVER pay any attention to talk that cannot be backed up in writing. Tell me the rule, and then tell me where I can read more about it.

                        Frank

                      • jlshannon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
                          Has anyone consulted their commissioner about their concerns? Commissioners are there to help get the answers that you need to run your programs.

                          Sent from my iPhone