Re: [Scouter_T] Re: NLE - First Impressions

  • Stu Allen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2001
      > I understand your concerns about the ages & stages video, especially
      > with the boy climbing up in the man's lap to tie knots, our team had
      > the same concerns. This is what we determined out of our
      > discussion: These people are not necessarily scouts -- they are
      > attending a company picnic. Therefore, it doesn't necessarily have
      > to follow BSA policy.

      Actually I believe they've already introduced the guy as a Scoutmaster,
      haven't they? Or am I remembering that part wrong -- I've only seen it
      *three* times! :)

      He's obviously not *that* kid's Scoutmaster, since the boy is 7! And we
      could have a long discussion I'm sure about whether BSA policy applies
      outside of a Scouting context (but with Scouts & Scouters involved) --
      but that's better done somewhere other than this list I think.

      I think most people have probably had a close friend's kid sit on their
      lap at least once, so if we assume that this guy *is* friends with the
      boy's dad then I don't see a problem with it. But we don't have that
      information, and given that we're teaching new leaders what they *should*
      be doing with their scouts, I think it sends an inappropriate message.

      YiS,
      Stu

      --
      Stu Allen email: allensr@...
      CM/MC Pack/Troop 92
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2001
        Since when is it child abuse to have a child sit on a
        adult's lap? I wasn't aware that this was not
        allowed. Is it specifically addressed in any BSA
        documentation?

        Steve Blary
        Pack 888
        Stuart, FL

        --- Stu Allen <allensr@...> wrote:
        > > I understand your concerns about the ages & stages
        > video, especially
        > > with the boy climbing up in the man's lap to tie
        > knots, our team had
        > > the same concerns. This is what we determined out
        > of our
        > > discussion: These people are not necessarily
        > scouts -- they are
        > > attending a company picnic. Therefore, it doesn't
        > necessarily have
        > > to follow BSA policy.
        >
        > Actually I believe they've already introduced the
        > guy as a Scoutmaster,
        > haven't they? Or am I remembering that part wrong
        > -- I've only seen it
        > *three* times! :)
        >
        > He's obviously not *that* kid's Scoutmaster, since
        > the boy is 7! And we
        > could have a long discussion I'm sure about whether
        > BSA policy applies
        > outside of a Scouting context (but with Scouts &
        > Scouters involved) --
        > but that's better done somewhere other than this
        > list I think.
        >
        > I think most people have probably had a close
        > friend's kid sit on their
        > lap at least once, so if we assume that this guy
        > *is* friends with the
        > boy's dad then I don't see a problem with it. But
        > we don't have that
        > information, and given that we're teaching new
        > leaders what they *should*
        > be doing with their scouts, I think it sends an
        > inappropriate message.
        >
        > YiS,
        > Stu
        >
        > --