Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Pack Overnight Site Approval Form

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
      What language in the G2SS supports BALOO trained leadership as recommended for a Webelos Den campout?

      I don't understand why the myths about required training are so hard to get rid of. Now maybe because some COUNCILS have made it mandatory for WL to be trained?? I know they can do that. But NATIONAL does not require ANY training (other than YPT) to take the youth camping.

      PS. None of the capitals are "shouty". Just emphasizing.......

      Connie

      --- On Sun, 4/21/13, mark.ellis21@... <mark.ellis21@...> wrote:

      Interesting, we asked of National the same question: Do Webelos leaders
      require BALOO training when their dens go camping?

      The answer we got, which is supported by language in the Guide to Safe
      Scouting, is a BALOO trained individual is recommended for Webelos camping
      but is not required.

    • Lisa Titus
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
        On 04/21/2013 6:07 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
        > What language in the G2SS supports BALOO trained leadership as recommended for a Webelos Den campout?
        >
        > I don't understand why the myths about required training are so hard to get rid of. Now maybe because some COUNCILS have made it mandatory for WL to be trained?? I know they can do that. But NATIONAL does not require ANY training (other than YPT) to take the youth camping.
        >
        > PS. None of the capitals are "shouty". Just emphasizing.......

        I know my Council requires Webelos Outdoor Leader Training to take a
        Webelos den camping. There is no pre-requisite of BALOO. In fact,
        it's made clear that the two are not interchangeable and they have a
        different focus. If the current position is that BALOO is required for
        Webelos leaders to take a den camping, then it needs to be communicated
        through official channels pronto.

        Personally, I don't understand allowing Webelos leaders to take the boys
        camping without any outdoor leader training. We don't send our Boy
        Scouts out with untrained leaders. Why would we allow it for Webelos
        leaders???

        Lisa Titus
        Abnaki Cub Camping Chair

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
            On 04/21/2013 9:36 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
            > There is no rule (from National) that says Boy Scout leaders need to have any more training than Webelos Leaders...........

            I misspoke. I was referring to what is required to be considered
            "trained".

            > There doesn't need to be any announcement through official channels about BALOO and den camping because BALOO is for PACK camping.......

            I'm commenting on the assumption that the email to the original poster
            indicates a change from BSA.

            Lisa Titus
            CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
            CC Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
            I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
            I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272 & N1-330-12-1