Pack Overnight Site Approval Form

  • hindsm58
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
      I'm going to be leading an OWL training session on Webelos Overnight Campouts this weekend. I was thinking Webelos could only go to Council approved campgrounds. We historically used the Pack Overnight Site Approval Form as our guidance. But today I see it says Pack (mixed age Scouts) and this is specifically Webelos. Am I correct in my interpretation that the location for a Webelos campout has to meet the requirements specified in the form?

      Mark Hinds
    • ed5870@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
        That form is for Pack camping. Not Webelos camping.

        hindsm58 <hindsm58@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >

        ><!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc { font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd { margin: 10px 0px; font-weight: 700; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad { margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } #actions { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; padding: 10px 0; } #activity { background-color: #e0ecee; float: left; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } #activity span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear: both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; } -->

      • Lisa Titus
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
          There is no form - other than Tour Plan if your Council requires it.
          Webelos should be "front country" camping. Beyond that, check
          restriction with your council.

          On 04/19/2013 9:59 AM, hindsm58 wrote:
          > I'm going to be leading an OWL training session on Webelos Overnight Campouts this weekend. I was thinking Webelos could only go to Council approved campgrounds. We historically used the Pack Overnight Site Approval Form as our guidance. But today I see it says Pack (mixed age Scouts) and this is specifically Webelos. Am I correct in my interpretation that the location for a Webelos campout has to meet the requirements specified in the form?
          >
          > Mark Hinds

        • Jamie Niss Dunn
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
            <<Am I correct in my interpretation that the location for a Webelos campout has to meet the requirements specified in the form?>>

            No you're not correct. The site approval form pertains solely to a pack campout. The syllabus for the course says:

            "Campsites might include local Scout camps or a nearby city, county, state, or federal facility
            (a state park or county forest preserve, for example). The campsite should be located near a
            parking area since Webelos den overnight camping cannot include backpacking. Ensure that
            the camp facility provides safe water, toilet facilities, garbage disposal, and fire sites.
            It is a good idea to have a backup plan in case of bad weather."

            Those are the only requirements for a site.

            Jamie Niss Dunn
            Cubmaster, Pack 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Troop Committee, Troop 509
            Ham Lake, MN
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            Three Rivers District

          • rwruggieri
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
              Some observations:

              1. A pack is not necessarily limited to council owned camp. In our Council (and other Councils in our neck of woods), Packs can use County Parks and State Parks and more local National Packs without problem (they've all been approved).

              2. The Pack Overnight Site Approval Form is not for Packs to use, so much as it is for Councils to use when evaluating sites to decide whether to add to their approved list. When I present BALOO Health and Safety segment, I do reference it and suggest that BALOO leaders might use it when looking at sites to evaluate whether they'd be appropriate, but that in end it's Council's call.

              Per Baloo syllabus (2011 ed, at page 25),

              "Camping activities take place in council-owned or managed facilities or council-approved developed sites such as national parks, state, county, and city camping parks, or councilapproved privately owned campgrounds. See appendix F."

              Appendix F of the Baloo Handouts (page 89) reads:

              "Pack camping must be held on council-owned or -managed facilities, or at the local council's option in council-approved city, state, county, or national parks, or council-approved privately-owned campgrounds. Contact your local council for availability and approval. (Councils use Pack Overnighter Site Approval Form, No. 13-508.)"

              So it's really a matter of what your local Council says.

              2. Webelos camping is still a Cub activity, and so complies with Cub guidelines. About a year ago, we had question, when preping for OWLS, of whether Webelos trip required BALOO trained leader. We wound up contacting National, and they confirmed that Webelos camping is still part of Cub program and so BALOO is required. Same logic would seem to suggest that Webelos camping has to comply with other Cub requirements (such as locations).

              Good luck with OWLS -- we found it fun course to present.

              Bob Ruggieri
              Munsee District Training Chair
              Patriots' Path Council

            • mark.ellis21@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
                Interesting, we asked of National the same question: Do Webelos leaders
                require BALOO training when their dens go camping?

                The answer we got, which is supported by language in the Guide to Safe
                Scouting, is a BALOO trained individual is recommended for Webelos camping
                but is not required.

                I can see the logic of Webelos camping is a subset of Cub Scouting program,
                but I suspect many councils follow what I outlined.

                Mark Ellis
                (703) 376-4150

                Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

                1. A pack is not necessarily limited to council owned camp. In our Council
                (and other Councils in our neck of woods), Packs can use County Parks and
                State Parks and more local National Packs without problem (they've all been
                approved).

                2. The Pack Overnight Site Approval Form is not for Packs to use, so much
                as it is for Councils to use when evaluating sites to decide whether to add
                to their approved list. When I present BALOO Health and Safety segment, I
                do reference it and suggest that BALOO leaders might use it when looking at
                sites to evaluate whether they'd be appropriate, but that in end it's
                Council's call.

                Per Baloo syllabus (2011 ed, at page 25),

                "Camping activities take place in council-owned or managed facilities or
                council-approved developed sites such as national parks, state, county, and
                city camping parks, or councilapproved privately owned campgrounds. See
                appendix F."

                Appendix F of the Baloo Handouts (page 89) reads:

                "Pack camping must be held on council-owned or -managed facilities, or at
                the local council's option in council-approved city, state, county, or
                national parks, or council-approved privately-owned campgrounds. Contact
                your local council for availability and approval. (Councils use Pack
                Overnighter Site Approval Form, No. 13-508.)"

                So it's really a matter of what your local Council says.

                2. Webelos camping is still a Cub activity, and so complies with Cub
                guidelines. About a year ago, we had question, when preping for OWLS, of
                whether Webelos trip required BALOO trained leader. We wound up contacting
                National, and they confirmed that Webelos camping is still part of Cub
                program and so BALOO is required. Same logic would seem to suggest that
                Webelos camping has to comply with other Cub requirements (such as
                locations).

                Good luck with OWLS -- we found it fun course to present.

                Bob Ruggieri
                Munsee District Training Chair
                Patriots' Path Council

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Titus <bearmitzvah@...> wrote:

                > There is no form - other than Tour Plan if your Council requires it.
                > Webelos should be "front country" camping. Beyond that, check
                > restriction with your council.
                >

                > On 04/19/2013 9:59 AM, hindsm58 wrote:
                > > I'm going to be leading an OWL training session on Webelos Overnight
                Campouts this weekend. I was thinking Webelos could only go to Council
                approved campgrounds. We historically used the Pack Overnight Site Approval
                Form as our guidance. But today I see it says Pack (mixed age Scouts) and
                this is specifically Webelos. Am I correct in my interpretation that the
                location for a Webelos campout has to meet the requirements specified in the
                form?

                > > Mark Hinds

              • Lisa Titus
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
                  On 04/21/2013 5:06 PM, rwruggieri wrote:
                  > 2. Webelos camping is still a Cub activity, and so complies with Cub guidelines. About a year ago, we had question, when preping for OWLS, of whether Webelos trip required BALOO trained leader. We wound up contacting National, and they confirmed that Webelos camping is still part of Cub program and so BALOO is required. Same logic would seem to suggest that Webelos camping has to comply with other Cub requirements (such as locations).

                  I'm sorry but that doesn't mesh with current policy. (I've seen no
                  update to the printed materials.) Neither BALOO nor Webelos Outdoor
                  Leader Training are required to take a Webelos den camping. While the
                  two courses do have some overlap, they each have a different focus.

                  In our Council, we teach the BALOO students that they can get a site
                  approved by following the form and submitting it to Council. From
                  there the decision to approve or not does lay with the Council.

                  Lisa Titus
                  Abnaki Cub Camping Chair

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
                    What language in the G2SS supports BALOO trained leadership as recommended for a Webelos Den campout?

                    I don't understand why the myths about required training are so hard to get rid of. Now maybe because some COUNCILS have made it mandatory for WL to be trained?? I know they can do that. But NATIONAL does not require ANY training (other than YPT) to take the youth camping.

                    PS. None of the capitals are "shouty". Just emphasizing.......

                    Connie

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
                      On 04/21/2013 6:07 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
                      > What language in the G2SS supports BALOO trained leadership as recommended for a Webelos Den campout?
                      >
                      > I don't understand why the myths about required training are so hard to get rid of. Now maybe because some COUNCILS have made it mandatory for WL to be trained?? I know they can do that. But NATIONAL does not require ANY training (other than YPT) to take the youth camping.
                      >
                      > PS. None of the capitals are "shouty". Just emphasizing.......

                      I know my Council requires Webelos Outdoor Leader Training to take a
                      Webelos den camping. There is no pre-requisite of BALOO. In fact,
                      it's made clear that the two are not interchangeable and they have a
                      different focus. If the current position is that BALOO is required for
                      Webelos leaders to take a den camping, then it needs to be communicated
                      through official channels pronto.

                      Personally, I don't understand allowing Webelos leaders to take the boys
                      camping without any outdoor leader training. We don't send our Boy
                      Scouts out with untrained leaders. Why would we allow it for Webelos
                      leaders???

                      Lisa Titus
                      Abnaki Cub Camping Chair

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
                          On 04/21/2013 9:36 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
                          > There is no rule (from National) that says Boy Scout leaders need to have any more training than Webelos Leaders...........

                          I misspoke. I was referring to what is required to be considered
                          "trained".

                          > There doesn't need to be any announcement through official channels about BALOO and den camping because BALOO is for PACK camping.......

                          I'm commenting on the assumption that the email to the original poster
                          indicates a change from BSA.

                          Lisa Titus
                          CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                          CC Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
                          I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
                          I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272 & N1-330-12-1