Re: [Scouter_T] Training Credit for Teaching Course

  • Scott Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
      Alicia,

      In the specific case you identified, she would not receive credit, as what was taught, was only a shortened version to remind Adult Leaders of their responsibilities. In order to receive credit for YPT, the volunteer would need to complete the entire course, through her "MyScouting" account.

      W. Scott Baker
      Scoutmaster - Troop 337
      Council High Adventure Staff
      Council Training Team
      Tahquitz District - California Inland Empire

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
        Trainers are definitely eligible to get credit for any courses they're
        instructing. It just comes down to whether or not they're listed on the
        training reports that are submitted. Our District Director is great about
        ensuring all paperwork is thoroughly completed before we submit it to
        Council.

        As for YPT, presenting it with the DVD is acceptable. The course does not
        have to be completed only through MyScouting.

        Kathi Colbert
        Overland District Program Chair
        Nevada Area Council Training Committee

      • Alicia Riggans
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
          Actually, it is the full course. We offer it on the same day that we offer Leader Specific as back-to-back classes.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2013
            I do not know about other council's records, but ours are confused a bit. Since SCOUTNET does not transfer records amongst the councils like I was told it would do in 1998 by the then director of SCOUTNET, when we get transfers from other councils (lots of military due to several bases in and near the area) ti can sometimes be a pain to get the records updated.

            I was told by my DE to ALWAYS (emphasis) put the trainer's name as a student. That way if the records are incorrect, they will get corrected that way.

            Also does anyone remember when the national training committee was contemplating requiring folks to retake basic training in order to be considered "trained" a year or so ago? While national compromised on the issue after vocal opposition, allowing older training to still be considered valid IF local folks approve, they can always change their policies.

            best to include the instructors on the student list too.

            Aside, I will be emailing the BA22 syllabus later today.

            Jerry