Re: [Scouter_T] Training Credit for Teaching Course

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
      Our trainers regularly list themselves as learners on the training attendance form. This way they get credit for taking the course. Particularly with YPT, its a good way to keep up to date. However, the registrar does not automatically credit those listed as instructors with course attendance. They have to be listed again the the attendees section of the report.

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Cubmaster, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

      .

    • Scott Baker
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
        Alicia,

        In the specific case you identified, she would not receive credit, as what was taught, was only a shortened version to remind Adult Leaders of their responsibilities. In order to receive credit for YPT, the volunteer would need to complete the entire course, through her "MyScouting" account.

        W. Scott Baker
        Scoutmaster - Troop 337
        Council High Adventure Staff
        Council Training Team
        Tahquitz District - California Inland Empire

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
          It really depends on exactly what goes on the "training report"; I do YPT all the time as  well and rarely add my name to the sheet but I'm gonna remember to do it more now??

          There is NO restriction on the "trainer" getting credit for training; if he/she is giving it, makes sense that they're "getting" it as well folks??

          - Art
          I do not know what National policy dictates but I always give credit to the
          instructor.

          Ed Harvey
          Dutchess District Training Chair
          Every Scout Deserves a Trained Leader

          In a message dated 4/3/2013 3:55:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          ariggans@... writes:

[...]

        • Bob & Kathi Colbert
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
            Trainers are definitely eligible to get credit for any courses they're
            instructing. It just comes down to whether or not they're listed on the
            training reports that are submitted. Our District Director is great about
            ensuring all paperwork is thoroughly completed before we submit it to
            Council.

            As for YPT, presenting it with the DVD is acceptable. The course does not
            have to be completed only through MyScouting.

            Kathi Colbert
            Overland District Program Chair
            Nevada Area Council Training Committee

          • Alicia Riggans
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
              Actually, it is the full course. We offer it on the same day that we offer Leader Specific as back-to-back classes.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2013
                I do not know about other council's records, but ours are confused a bit. Since SCOUTNET does not transfer records amongst the councils like I was told it would do in 1998 by the then director of SCOUTNET, when we get transfers from other councils (lots of military due to several bases in and near the area) ti can sometimes be a pain to get the records updated.

                I was told by my DE to ALWAYS (emphasis) put the trainer's name as a student. That way if the records are incorrect, they will get corrected that way.

                Also does anyone remember when the national training committee was contemplating requiring folks to retake basic training in order to be considered "trained" a year or so ago? While national compromised on the issue after vocal opposition, allowing older training to still be considered valid IF local folks approve, they can always change their policies.

                best to include the instructors on the student list too.

                Aside, I will be emailing the BA22 syllabus later today.

                Jerry