Training Credit for Teaching Course

  • a_riggans
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
      I am a new District Training Chair. Still trying to find my way around all the forms and reports. However, there has been one question for which I cannot find a definitive answer. Does a trainer receive credit for completing a course they take? The specifics: Volunteer taught the Youth Protection section of Leader Specific in September of last year. She just got a notification that her YPT is not current. She thought she should have received credit for it in September. I have gotten conflicting answers; one professional says yes, the other no.

      I know in other continuing education circles, the instructors receive credit for teaching the course. I haven't been able to find an answer as to what BSA's policy is. Can anyone help?

      Thanks for any help.

      Alicia Riggans
      Committee Chair - Pack 1548
      Troop Treasurer - Troop 219
      District Training Committee Chair
      Nashboro District | Middle Tennessee Council
    • ed5870
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
        I do not know what National policy dictates but I always give credit to the
        instructor.

        Ed Harvey
        Dutchess District Training Chair
        Every Scout Deserves a Trained Leader

        In a message dated 4/3/2013 3:55:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

      • Jamie Niss Dunn
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
          Our trainers regularly list themselves as learners on the training attendance form. This way they get credit for taking the course. Particularly with YPT, its a good way to keep up to date. However, the registrar does not automatically credit those listed as instructors with course attendance. They have to be listed again the the attendees section of the report.

          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Cubmaster, Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Troop Committee, Troop 509
          Ham Lake, MN
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          Three Rivers District

          .

        • Scott Baker
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
            Alicia,

            In the specific case you identified, she would not receive credit, as what was taught, was only a shortened version to remind Adult Leaders of their responsibilities. In order to receive credit for YPT, the volunteer would need to complete the entire course, through her "MyScouting" account.

            W. Scott Baker
            Scoutmaster - Troop 337
            Council High Adventure Staff
            Council Training Team
            Tahquitz District - California Inland Empire

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
              It really depends on exactly what goes on the "training report"; I do YPT all the time as  well and rarely add my name to the sheet but I'm gonna remember to do it more now??

              There is NO restriction on the "trainer" getting credit for training; if he/she is giving it, makes sense that they're "getting" it as well folks??

              - Art

              ariggans@... writes:

[...]

            • Bob & Kathi Colbert
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
                Trainers are definitely eligible to get credit for any courses they're
                instructing. It just comes down to whether or not they're listed on the
                training reports that are submitted. Our District Director is great about
                ensuring all paperwork is thoroughly completed before we submit it to
                Council.

                As for YPT, presenting it with the DVD is acceptable. The course does not
                have to be completed only through MyScouting.

                Kathi Colbert
                Overland District Program Chair
                Nevada Area Council Training Committee

              • Alicia Riggans
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
                  Actually, it is the full course. We offer it on the same day that we offer Leader Specific as back-to-back classes.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 2013
                    I do not know about other council's records, but ours are confused a bit. Since SCOUTNET does not transfer records amongst the councils like I was told it would do in 1998 by the then director of SCOUTNET, when we get transfers from other councils (lots of military due to several bases in and near the area) ti can sometimes be a pain to get the records updated.

                    I was told by my DE to ALWAYS (emphasis) put the trainer's name as a student. That way if the records are incorrect, they will get corrected that way.

                    Also does anyone remember when the national training committee was contemplating requiring folks to retake basic training in order to be considered "trained" a year or so ago? While national compromised on the issue after vocal opposition, allowing older training to still be considered valid IF local folks approve, they can always change their policies.

                    best to include the instructors on the student list too.

                    Aside, I will be emailing the BA22 syllabus later today.

                    Jerry