Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Getting Scouters to Roundtable

  • Samuel Harley
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20 12:21 PM
      When I became Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner 3 years ago our first meeting
      was devoted to planning what we would do for the year (and we have done the same
      each January since). We brain-stormed what RT should be, and adopted limiting
      announcements time, building in more interaction time, and structuring RT around
      featured topics, outings, and skills. At our planning meeting we settled on
      featured topics, but we fillm in the featured outings and skills incrementally.

      Roundtable attendance had been very low so the tricky part was getting people to
      show up for that first meeting. We did a 'relaunch' campaign and got enough
      people to show up to plan and get a good start. Our participation rate has
      improved over time.

      As an example, our plan for this year is at
      http://www.pickettsmillroundtable.info/boy-scout-roundtable/boy-scout-roundtable-roundup

      Sam Harley

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20 5:05 PM
        I have been Roundtable Commissioner for the last 4 years and have been very
        successful in revitalizing our roundtable that was much the same shape that
        yours was. We got maybe 6 to 8 of the good old boys coming and sitting
        around shooting the bull.

        Here is what I have done:

        - For three months in a row we offer two Eagle required merit badges and one
        non-Eagle required merit badges for Scouts. I limit the class size to 15
        and have extra adult help for the counselor. In most cases we offer two
        classes for each merit badge so we serve about 60 to 70 boys a quarter to
        work on merit badges. I am an Eagle Scout and believe that all merit badges
        need to be earned and not given. With the number of boys we require that
        they complete the Merit Badge worksheet available on line and require them
        to complete this so that the counselor can be sure that they have done the
        necessary work. It is impossible to have 15 boys give 15 different answers
        to discussion questions so the use of the worksheet is great. I provide the
        counselor with a complete roster for the class with address, phone, email
        and Scoutmaster information to the counselor. I also provide the counselor
        with an excel spreadsheet with the requirements listed and the boys name so
        that they can keep a record of the progress of each boy(this is the way to
        do it as there will be some that won't complete the merit badge in the time
        frame and you need the records). We also use the blue cards. I am sure
        that you understand that you can't do all of the work in the class and that
        there is outside work necessary to complete a merit badge.

        Registration is handled online by sending me an email. I accept email
        registrations only. I use the time stamp on the email to determine who gets
        in and who is on the waiting list. I set the merit badges for the
        roundtables from September through May so that everyone can make the
        necessary plans. I open the registration on the first of the month prior to
        each quarterly roundtable and I close it on the 15th of that month. That
        gives me time to send the boys information and to get the information to the
        counselor. I keep a waiting list in case someone drops out. I always
        respond to the boy and his scoutmaster if he has been accepted for the merit
        badge.

        - We also offer one Webelos Activity pin at each Roundtable and we get 20 to
        30 Cub Scouts participating.

        - Venturing. We don't have many Venture Crews so we don't do anything for
        them but as we continue to get more crews that will be an added feature.

        - In the Adult Roundtable sessions we offer two sessions that are each 30
        minutes long. There are normally 5 to 6 sessions so that an adult could
        pick up two sessions. The sessions have to be geared to information that is
        attractive to the adults. That is a topic for another post. Maybe we are
        wrong in not following the Program Guides for Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting
        but are units tend to do their own thing.

        - You ask how does this improve attendance at your roundtables? The boys
        need to get there and get home so most of the adults that provide the
        transportation stay for the Adult Roundtable sessions. Four years ago we
        averaged at most 10 people coming to Roundtable. This year we have averaged
        50 to 60 adults, 20 to 30 Webelos and 60 to 75 Boy Scouts.

        - We also have monthly drawings for door prizes for the youth and adults in
        attendance. At the May Roundtable we have a drawing for some nice door
        prizes. At the May roundtable drawing, the adults earn chances in the
        drawings based on attendance at the roundtables during the year. This is an
        added bonus that encourages attendance throughout the year as we give some
        really nice prizes.

        We have really had great participation from our merit badge counselors and
        they are having a good time working with the boys.

        Rod