Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Getting Scouters to Roundtable

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
      I love the new guide. Most RT meetings are "bad" because they don't move along. The new format breaks up the evening into bit sized pieces with the opportunity to present all kinds of topics.

      It is amazing how much can be talked about in 20 minutes. And then the other benefit is if your topic is a dud you don't stand around for an hour trying to pump life into it or scramble for a better idea........

      Connie

      --- On Tue, 3/19/13, Paul <paulp575@...> wrote:

      http://www.scouting.org/jamboree/sitecore/content/scouting/training/adu\
      lt.aspx>

      I'm trying to get our RT staff to adopt some of those ideas, but am
      getting resistance to change our current "dead" program.

    • Samuel Harley
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
        When I became Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner 3 years ago our first meeting
        was devoted to planning what we would do for the year (and we have done the same
        each January since). We brain-stormed what RT should be, and adopted limiting
        announcements time, building in more interaction time, and structuring RT around
        featured topics, outings, and skills. At our planning meeting we settled on
        featured topics, but we fillm in the featured outings and skills incrementally.

        Roundtable attendance had been very low so the tricky part was getting people to
        show up for that first meeting. We did a 'relaunch' campaign and got enough
        people to show up to plan and get a good start. Our participation rate has
        improved over time.

        As an example, our plan for this year is at
        http://www.pickettsmillroundtable.info/boy-scout-roundtable/boy-scout-roundtable-roundup

        Sam Harley

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
          I have been Roundtable Commissioner for the last 4 years and have been very
          successful in revitalizing our roundtable that was much the same shape that
          yours was. We got maybe 6 to 8 of the good old boys coming and sitting
          around shooting the bull.

          Here is what I have done:

          - For three months in a row we offer two Eagle required merit badges and one
          non-Eagle required merit badges for Scouts. I limit the class size to 15
          and have extra adult help for the counselor. In most cases we offer two
          classes for each merit badge so we serve about 60 to 70 boys a quarter to
          work on merit badges. I am an Eagle Scout and believe that all merit badges
          need to be earned and not given. With the number of boys we require that
          they complete the Merit Badge worksheet available on line and require them
          to complete this so that the counselor can be sure that they have done the
          necessary work. It is impossible to have 15 boys give 15 different answers
          to discussion questions so the use of the worksheet is great. I provide the
          counselor with a complete roster for the class with address, phone, email
          and Scoutmaster information to the counselor. I also provide the counselor
          with an excel spreadsheet with the requirements listed and the boys name so
          that they can keep a record of the progress of each boy(this is the way to
          do it as there will be some that won't complete the merit badge in the time
          frame and you need the records). We also use the blue cards. I am sure
          that you understand that you can't do all of the work in the class and that
          there is outside work necessary to complete a merit badge.

          Registration is handled online by sending me an email. I accept email
          registrations only. I use the time stamp on the email to determine who gets
          in and who is on the waiting list. I set the merit badges for the
          roundtables from September through May so that everyone can make the
          necessary plans. I open the registration on the first of the month prior to
          each quarterly roundtable and I close it on the 15th of that month. That
          gives me time to send the boys information and to get the information to the
          counselor. I keep a waiting list in case someone drops out. I always
          respond to the boy and his scoutmaster if he has been accepted for the merit
          badge.

          - We also offer one Webelos Activity pin at each Roundtable and we get 20 to
          30 Cub Scouts participating.

          - Venturing. We don't have many Venture Crews so we don't do anything for
          them but as we continue to get more crews that will be an added feature.

          - In the Adult Roundtable sessions we offer two sessions that are each 30
          minutes long. There are normally 5 to 6 sessions so that an adult could
          pick up two sessions. The sessions have to be geared to information that is
          attractive to the adults. That is a topic for another post. Maybe we are
          wrong in not following the Program Guides for Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting
          but are units tend to do their own thing.

          - You ask how does this improve attendance at your roundtables? The boys
          need to get there and get home so most of the adults that provide the
          transportation stay for the Adult Roundtable sessions. Four years ago we
          averaged at most 10 people coming to Roundtable. This year we have averaged
          50 to 60 adults, 20 to 30 Webelos and 60 to 75 Boy Scouts.

          - We also have monthly drawings for door prizes for the youth and adults in
          attendance. At the May Roundtable we have a drawing for some nice door
          prizes. At the May roundtable drawing, the adults earn chances in the
          drawings based on attendance at the roundtables during the year. This is an
          added bonus that encourages attendance throughout the year as we give some
          really nice prizes.

          We have really had great participation from our merit badge counselors and
          they are having a good time working with the boys.

          Rod