Re: [Scouter_T] Getting Scouters to Roundtable

  • W FRITZ MAXWELL
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
      ________________________________
      From: danielgrummert <dangrummert@...>
      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, March 19, 2013 9:37:43 PM
      Subject: [Scouter_T] Getting Scouters to Roundtable

      I am looking for ideas on how to get Scouters to Roundtable . . . possibly with
      ideas of what might attract them. Our RT is DEAD.
      dan

      RT is just like a troop, i.e. it's all about program.  If the programs
      are useful, interesting, organized and exciting word will get out and people
      will come.  When they are not .... well people have better things to do with
      their time.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
        I love the new guide. Most RT meetings are "bad" because they don't move along. The new format breaks up the evening into bit sized pieces with the opportunity to present all kinds of topics.

        It is amazing how much can be talked about in 20 minutes. And then the other benefit is if your topic is a dud you don't stand around for an hour trying to pump life into it or scramble for a better idea........

        Connie

        --- On Tue, 3/19/13, Paul <paulp575@...> wrote:

        http://www.scouting.org/jamboree/sitecore/content/scouting/training/adu\
        lt.aspx>

        I'm trying to get our RT staff to adopt some of those ideas, but am
        getting resistance to change our current "dead" program.

      • Samuel Harley
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
          When I became Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner 3 years ago our first meeting
          was devoted to planning what we would do for the year (and we have done the same
          each January since). We brain-stormed what RT should be, and adopted limiting
          announcements time, building in more interaction time, and structuring RT around
          featured topics, outings, and skills. At our planning meeting we settled on
          featured topics, but we fillm in the featured outings and skills incrementally.

          Roundtable attendance had been very low so the tricky part was getting people to
          show up for that first meeting. We did a 'relaunch' campaign and got enough
          people to show up to plan and get a good start. Our participation rate has
          improved over time.

          As an example, our plan for this year is at
          http://www.pickettsmillroundtable.info/boy-scout-roundtable/boy-scout-roundtable-roundup

          Sam Harley

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
            I have been Roundtable Commissioner for the last 4 years and have been very
            successful in revitalizing our roundtable that was much the same shape that
            yours was. We got maybe 6 to 8 of the good old boys coming and sitting
            around shooting the bull.

            Here is what I have done:

            - For three months in a row we offer two Eagle required merit badges and one
            non-Eagle required merit badges for Scouts. I limit the class size to 15
            and have extra adult help for the counselor. In most cases we offer two
            classes for each merit badge so we serve about 60 to 70 boys a quarter to
            work on merit badges. I am an Eagle Scout and believe that all merit badges
            need to be earned and not given. With the number of boys we require that
            they complete the Merit Badge worksheet available on line and require them
            to complete this so that the counselor can be sure that they have done the
            necessary work. It is impossible to have 15 boys give 15 different answers
            to discussion questions so the use of the worksheet is great. I provide the
            counselor with a complete roster for the class with address, phone, email
            and Scoutmaster information to the counselor. I also provide the counselor
            with an excel spreadsheet with the requirements listed and the boys name so
            that they can keep a record of the progress of each boy(this is the way to
            do it as there will be some that won't complete the merit badge in the time
            frame and you need the records). We also use the blue cards. I am sure
            that you understand that you can't do all of the work in the class and that
            there is outside work necessary to complete a merit badge.

            Registration is handled online by sending me an email. I accept email
            registrations only. I use the time stamp on the email to determine who gets
            in and who is on the waiting list. I set the merit badges for the
            roundtables from September through May so that everyone can make the
            necessary plans. I open the registration on the first of the month prior to
            each quarterly roundtable and I close it on the 15th of that month. That
            gives me time to send the boys information and to get the information to the
            counselor. I keep a waiting list in case someone drops out. I always
            respond to the boy and his scoutmaster if he has been accepted for the merit
            badge.

            - We also offer one Webelos Activity pin at each Roundtable and we get 20 to
            30 Cub Scouts participating.

            - Venturing. We don't have many Venture Crews so we don't do anything for
            them but as we continue to get more crews that will be an added feature.

            - In the Adult Roundtable sessions we offer two sessions that are each 30
            minutes long. There are normally 5 to 6 sessions so that an adult could
            pick up two sessions. The sessions have to be geared to information that is
            attractive to the adults. That is a topic for another post. Maybe we are
            wrong in not following the Program Guides for Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting
            but are units tend to do their own thing.

            - You ask how does this improve attendance at your roundtables? The boys
            need to get there and get home so most of the adults that provide the
            transportation stay for the Adult Roundtable sessions. Four years ago we
            averaged at most 10 people coming to Roundtable. This year we have averaged
            50 to 60 adults, 20 to 30 Webelos and 60 to 75 Boy Scouts.

            - We also have monthly drawings for door prizes for the youth and adults in
            attendance. At the May Roundtable we have a drawing for some nice door
            prizes. At the May roundtable drawing, the adults earn chances in the
            drawings based on attendance at the roundtables during the year. This is an
            added bonus that encourages attendance throughout the year as we give some
            really nice prizes.

            We have really had great participation from our merit badge counselors and
            they are having a good time working with the boys.

            Rod