Getting Scouters to Roundtable

  • danielgrummert
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
      I am looking for ideas on how to get Scouters to Roundtable . . . possibly with ideas of what might attract them. Our RT is DEAD.
      dan
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "danielgrummert" <dangrummert@...>
        wrote:

        > I am looking for ideas on how to get Scouters to Roundtable . . .
        possibly with ideas of what might attract them. Our RT is DEAD.

        So is ours!

        Take a look at the BSA's two RT planning guides, especially in the front
        sections. There's suggestions as to how to improve RTs.
        Both are available on this page:
        http://www.scouting.org/jamboree/sitecore/content/scouting/training/adul\
        t.aspx
        <http://www.scouting.org/jamboree/sitecore/content/scouting/training/adu\
        lt.aspx>

        I'm trying to get our RT staff to adopt some of those ideas, but am
        getting resistance to change our current "dead" program.

        Paul Y
        District Advancement and Recognition Chair
        Thunderbird District
        Inland Northwest Council
        Spokane WA
        "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

      • W FRITZ MAXWELL
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
            I love the new guide. Most RT meetings are "bad" because they don't move along. The new format breaks up the evening into bit sized pieces with the opportunity to present all kinds of topics.

            It is amazing how much can be talked about in 20 minutes. And then the other benefit is if your topic is a dud you don't stand around for an hour trying to pump life into it or scramble for a better idea........

            Connie

            --- On Tue, 3/19/13, Paul <paulp575@...> wrote:

            http://www.scouting.org/jamboree/sitecore/content/scouting/training/adu\
            lt.aspx>

            I'm trying to get our RT staff to adopt some of those ideas, but am
            getting resistance to change our current "dead" program.

          • Samuel Harley
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
              When I became Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner 3 years ago our first meeting
              was devoted to planning what we would do for the year (and we have done the same
              each January since). We brain-stormed what RT should be, and adopted limiting
              announcements time, building in more interaction time, and structuring RT around
              featured topics, outings, and skills. At our planning meeting we settled on
              featured topics, but we fillm in the featured outings and skills incrementally.

              Roundtable attendance had been very low so the tricky part was getting people to
              show up for that first meeting. We did a 'relaunch' campaign and got enough
              people to show up to plan and get a good start. Our participation rate has
              improved over time.

              As an example, our plan for this year is at
              http://www.pickettsmillroundtable.info/boy-scout-roundtable/boy-scout-roundtable-roundup

              Sam Harley

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
                I have been Roundtable Commissioner for the last 4 years and have been very
                successful in revitalizing our roundtable that was much the same shape that
                yours was. We got maybe 6 to 8 of the good old boys coming and sitting
                around shooting the bull.

                Here is what I have done:

                - For three months in a row we offer two Eagle required merit badges and one
                non-Eagle required merit badges for Scouts. I limit the class size to 15
                and have extra adult help for the counselor. In most cases we offer two
                classes for each merit badge so we serve about 60 to 70 boys a quarter to
                work on merit badges. I am an Eagle Scout and believe that all merit badges
                need to be earned and not given. With the number of boys we require that
                they complete the Merit Badge worksheet available on line and require them
                to complete this so that the counselor can be sure that they have done the
                necessary work. It is impossible to have 15 boys give 15 different answers
                to discussion questions so the use of the worksheet is great. I provide the
                counselor with a complete roster for the class with address, phone, email
                and Scoutmaster information to the counselor. I also provide the counselor
                with an excel spreadsheet with the requirements listed and the boys name so
                that they can keep a record of the progress of each boy(this is the way to
                do it as there will be some that won't complete the merit badge in the time
                frame and you need the records). We also use the blue cards. I am sure
                that you understand that you can't do all of the work in the class and that
                there is outside work necessary to complete a merit badge.

                Registration is handled online by sending me an email. I accept email
                registrations only. I use the time stamp on the email to determine who gets
                in and who is on the waiting list. I set the merit badges for the
                roundtables from September through May so that everyone can make the
                necessary plans. I open the registration on the first of the month prior to
                each quarterly roundtable and I close it on the 15th of that month. That
                gives me time to send the boys information and to get the information to the
                counselor. I keep a waiting list in case someone drops out. I always
                respond to the boy and his scoutmaster if he has been accepted for the merit
                badge.

                - We also offer one Webelos Activity pin at each Roundtable and we get 20 to
                30 Cub Scouts participating.

                - Venturing. We don't have many Venture Crews so we don't do anything for
                them but as we continue to get more crews that will be an added feature.

                - In the Adult Roundtable sessions we offer two sessions that are each 30
                minutes long. There are normally 5 to 6 sessions so that an adult could
                pick up two sessions. The sessions have to be geared to information that is
                attractive to the adults. That is a topic for another post. Maybe we are
                wrong in not following the Program Guides for Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting
                but are units tend to do their own thing.

                - You ask how does this improve attendance at your roundtables? The boys
                need to get there and get home so most of the adults that provide the
                transportation stay for the Adult Roundtable sessions. Four years ago we
                averaged at most 10 people coming to Roundtable. This year we have averaged
                50 to 60 adults, 20 to 30 Webelos and 60 to 75 Boy Scouts.

                - We also have monthly drawings for door prizes for the youth and adults in
                attendance. At the May Roundtable we have a drawing for some nice door
                prizes. At the May roundtable drawing, the adults earn chances in the
                drawings based on attendance at the roundtables during the year. This is an
                added bonus that encourages attendance throughout the year as we give some
                really nice prizes.

                We have really had great participation from our merit badge counselors and
                they are having a good time working with the boys.

                Rod