Re: Unit training plan

  • chlees3rd
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
      Andrew,

      I agree with Bill. Never pay up front! Reimburse only.

      My suggestion to any unit that pays or is thinking of paying for the training of its adult and youth leaders is to first decide how the unit is going to benefit from its investment. A Scout is thrifty! For required instructor-led courses such as leader specific training or Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, the benefit should be a fully trained leader who understands his/her role within the unit and organization at the unit's next meeting. These courses are usually inexpensive so I think units should reimburse adults for those completed courses.

      Answering the question of what the unit gets for its money really needs to be answered for high-priced training such as Wood Badge, Powder Horn, NYLT, NAYLE, Wilderness First Aid, etc. Some of these courses can cost hundreds of dollars per person. What is to stop a person from leaving the unit after the unit pays for the training? My suggestion to units is to use the Tenure, Training, and Performance methodology of the Training Awards. If a leader (adult or youth) takes a high-priced course and pays for it out of pocket, then the unit will reimburse the leader a certain percentage of the cost provided the leader completes the training and actively serves a certain period of time using his/her new knowledge to benefit the unit. For example, if a Troop Committee Member took a Wilderness First Aid course, her troop would reimburse her a percentage of the WFA course cost if she registers as a First Aid Merit Badge Counselor for two years and accompanies the troop on high adventure activities/treks. It is a win-win situation in my opinion for both the adult and the unit. The adult learns a new skill without going broke and the troop gets an Eagle-required MBC and gets to use the certification for high adventure trips.

      A policy of "what does the unit get for its investment?" will stop a unit from wasting money. For example, an adult is registered in a troop as an Assistant Scoutmaster and in a pack as an Assistant Den Leader. He wants to take Powder Horn because he feels the exposure to high adventure activities could help his troop; however, the troop does not reimburse for training. But the pack does reimburse. The Powder Horn course is $275. Why not get the pack to pay for it? If the pack is smart, it would ask its Assistant Den Leader how the high adventure exposure/training is going to help its Cub Scouts? A smart pack would probably deny the reimbursement request.

      Hope this helps,
      Chazz Lees
    • chlees3rd
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
        I should have mentioned that all policies should include a statement that reimbursements for training need to be preapproved long before the adult or youth takes a course. This way a unit can determine if the training meets the needs of the unit.

        Chazz Lees