Re: [Scouter_T] Unit training plan

  • Lisa Titus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2013
      On 01/15/2013 3:31 PM, Andrew R. Hinkle wrote:
      > Both of these units have always supported training for their adults by
      > paying for leader courses either in full or in part. But lately with an
      > increase in requests for training (A good problem to have), they would like
      > to have a more formalized plan for training.

      In my pack's case, we pay for all leader training required for their
      position - this includes Youth Protection and position specific training
      done in a LIVE setting if the leader chooses. While the option to
      complete it for free online is there, there is much value to be had from
      a live training. We also pay for BALOO and OWL training. Our Council
      requires OWL for Webelos leaders to take the den camping. Even if it
      didn't, our pack would. We our a 100% trained pack - even is our
      Council doesn't require it.

      Unfortunately, our pack runs on a shoe-string budget and while I've
      encouraged other leaders to take WoodBadge training -- I've not been
      successful yet. I would hope our pack would support a leader choosing
      to give 6 days and work a ticket based on our pack. I would expect the
      leader to have some of their own money in this venture but we'd dig
      through the budget to help. Our pack changed for the better after I
      went to WoodBadge. I know others can help give it the shot in the arm
      that's needed.

      While I don't control my troop's budget, we do have some funds for boys
      to attend NYLT. We also threw a fundraiser to help a Scout pay his
      way to NAYLE.

      Lisa Titus
      CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
      ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
      I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
      I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272 & N1-330-12-1

    • chlees3rd
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
        Andrew,

        I agree with Bill. Never pay up front! Reimburse only.

        My suggestion to any unit that pays or is thinking of paying for the training of its adult and youth leaders is to first decide how the unit is going to benefit from its investment. A Scout is thrifty! For required instructor-led courses such as leader specific training or Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, the benefit should be a fully trained leader who understands his/her role within the unit and organization at the unit's next meeting. These courses are usually inexpensive so I think units should reimburse adults for those completed courses.

        Answering the question of what the unit gets for its money really needs to be answered for high-priced training such as Wood Badge, Powder Horn, NYLT, NAYLE, Wilderness First Aid, etc. Some of these courses can cost hundreds of dollars per person. What is to stop a person from leaving the unit after the unit pays for the training? My suggestion to units is to use the Tenure, Training, and Performance methodology of the Training Awards. If a leader (adult or youth) takes a high-priced course and pays for it out of pocket, then the unit will reimburse the leader a certain percentage of the cost provided the leader completes the training and actively serves a certain period of time using his/her new knowledge to benefit the unit. For example, if a Troop Committee Member took a Wilderness First Aid course, her troop would reimburse her a percentage of the WFA course cost if she registers as a First Aid Merit Badge Counselor for two years and accompanies the troop on high adventure activities/treks. It is a win-win situation in my opinion for both the adult and the unit. The adult learns a new skill without going broke and the troop gets an Eagle-required MBC and gets to use the certification for high adventure trips.

        A policy of "what does the unit get for its investment?" will stop a unit from wasting money. For example, an adult is registered in a troop as an Assistant Scoutmaster and in a pack as an Assistant Den Leader. He wants to take Powder Horn because he feels the exposure to high adventure activities could help his troop; however, the troop does not reimburse for training. But the pack does reimburse. The Powder Horn course is $275. Why not get the pack to pay for it? If the pack is smart, it would ask its Assistant Den Leader how the high adventure exposure/training is going to help its Cub Scouts? A smart pack would probably deny the reimbursement request.

        Hope this helps,
        Chazz Lees
      • chlees3rd
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
          I should have mentioned that all policies should include a statement that reimbursements for training need to be preapproved long before the adult or youth takes a course. This way a unit can determine if the training meets the needs of the unit.

          Chazz Lees