Re: [Scouter_T] New item on BSA training site

  • Joseph Jansen
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
      Bill,

      That document is helpful but would be more so if it described courses in
      more detail. Perhaps one needs to go to other documents to get abstracts
      on what is covered in each course.

      Joe

      On Saturday, January 12, 2013, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

      > see:
      > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-028_WEB.pdf
      >
      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Jansen wrote:
      >>
      >> You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be
      an
      >> overview document that explains available trainings and their
      >> interrelationships.
      >>
      >> Joe Jansen
      >> On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" wrote:
      >>
      >> > **
      >> >

      >> > Jamie,
      >> > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that
      has
      >> > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
      >> >
      >> > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
      >> > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
      >> > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner
      and am
      >> > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to
      send
      >> > if they can't use it.
      >> >
      >> > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over
      load...........

      >> > Connie
      >> >
      >> > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a
      while:

      >> > Fundamentals of Training:
      >> > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
      >> > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in
      the
      >> > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
      >> >
      >> > Fillable training cards:

      http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThisis
      the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
      >> > 615012.

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
        **That document is helpful but would be more so if it described courses in
        more detail. Perhaps one needs to go to other documents to get abstracts
        on what is covered in each course.**

        I think the specific course descriptions were omitted purposely, so that as courses change, the book wouldn't have to be revised each time.

        The summaries on the training page: http://www.scouting.org/training/adult.aspx are probably as complete descriptions as exist.

        (For some reason, my quotes of other people's posts aren't alway showing. I changed how I notated the quote. I hope it works)

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Cubmaster, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509
        Ham Lake, MN
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        Three Rivers District

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
          Hi Bill,
          Yes I agree. That is why I was asking if this was something that is only offered at the District or Council level. Which really seems like a no brainer in retrospect............

          Connie

          --- On Sat, 1/12/13, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

          Connie,

          I wouldn't tell people at Roundtable about this course until your counsel actually offers it.

          Bill

        • Mark Ellis
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
            Interesting point...did a word search for "district" or "council" on the
            document, and didn't find either word so I think those BSA Training folks
            are leaving it up to the field. I could see an SM using some of this
            syllabus to train Jr Asst SMs or Troop Instructors on how to improve their
            training techniques.

            That being said, my council leadership training committee will be talking
            about this next week.

            YiS

            Mark Ellis
            Aquia District