Re: [Scouter_T] New item on BSA training site

  • Joseph Jansen
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
      You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be an
      overview document that explains available trainings and their
      interrelationships.

      Joe Jansen
      On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" <cknie23100@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Jamie,
      > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has
      > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
      >
      > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
      > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
      > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am
      > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send
      > if they can't use it.
      >
      > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........
      >
      > Connie
      >
      > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
      >
      > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:
      >
      > Fundamentals of Training:
      > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
      > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the
      > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
      >
      > Fillable training cards:
      > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThis is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
      > 615012.

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
        see:
        http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-028_WEB.pdf

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Jansen wrote:

        > You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be an
        > overview document that explains available trainings and their
        > interrelationships.
        >
        > Joe Jansen
        > On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Jamie,
        > > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has
        > > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
        > >
        > > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
        > > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
        > > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am
        > > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send
        > > if they can't use it.
        > >
        > > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........
        > >
        > > Connie
        > >
        > > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:
        > >
        > > Fundamentals of Training:
        > > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
        > > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the
        > > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
        > >
        > > Fillable training cards:
        > > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThis is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
        > > 615012.

      • Joseph Jansen
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
          Bill,

          That document is helpful but would be more so if it described courses in
          more detail. Perhaps one needs to go to other documents to get abstracts
          on what is covered in each course.

          Joe

          On Saturday, January 12, 2013, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

          > see:
          > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-028_WEB.pdf
          >
          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Jansen wrote:
          >>
          >> You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be
          an
          >> overview document that explains available trainings and their
          >> interrelationships.
          >>
          >> Joe Jansen
          >> On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" wrote:
          >>
          >> > **
          >> >

          >> > Jamie,
          >> > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that
          has
          >> > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
          >> >
          >> > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
          >> > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
          >> > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner
          and am
          >> > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to
          send
          >> > if they can't use it.
          >> >
          >> > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over
          load...........

          >> > Connie
          >> >
          >> > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a
          while:

          >> > Fundamentals of Training:
          >> > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
          >> > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in
          the
          >> > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
          >> >
          >> > Fillable training cards:

          http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThisis
          the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
          >> > 615012.

        • Jamie Niss Dunn
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
            **That document is helpful but would be more so if it described courses in
            more detail. Perhaps one needs to go to other documents to get abstracts
            on what is covered in each course.**

            I think the specific course descriptions were omitted purposely, so that as courses change, the book wouldn't have to be revised each time.

            The summaries on the training page: http://www.scouting.org/training/adult.aspx are probably as complete descriptions as exist.

            (For some reason, my quotes of other people's posts aren't alway showing. I changed how I notated the quote. I hope it works)

            Jamie Niss Dunn
            Cubmaster, Pack 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Troop Committee, Troop 509
            Ham Lake, MN
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            Three Rivers District

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
              Hi Bill,
              Yes I agree. That is why I was asking if this was something that is only offered at the District or Council level. Which really seems like a no brainer in retrospect............

              Connie

              --- On Sat, 1/12/13, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

              Connie,

              I wouldn't tell people at Roundtable about this course until your counsel actually offers it.

              Bill

            • Mark Ellis
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                Interesting point...did a word search for "district" or "council" on the
                document, and didn't find either word so I think those BSA Training folks
                are leaving it up to the field. I could see an SM using some of this
                syllabus to train Jr Asst SMs or Troop Instructors on how to improve their
                training techniques.

                That being said, my council leadership training committee will be talking
                about this next week.

                YiS

                Mark Ellis
                Aquia District