Re: [Scouter_T] New item on BSA training site

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 11, 2013
      Jamie,
      I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........

      These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send if they can't use it.

      I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........

      Connie

      --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

      I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:

      Fundamentals of Training: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the Tcubed train the trainer continuum.

      Fillable training cards: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdf This is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU 615012.

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 11, 2013
        <<These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults?>>

        Yes - anyone who trains others. So, youth who are staffing NYLT; adult trainers on the district training teams; SMs and ASMs who conduct ILST are all potential learners at the new Fundamental of Training.

        The NYLT staff, both youth and adults, Wood Badge staff and others interested would then take Trainer's EDGE.

        The third level, the Master Trainer course is for district or council level volunteers charged with administering training.

        << Are they meant to be taught on a council and district level?>>

        Yes, these are district or council level courses. Fundamentals of Training replaces the old Trainer Development Conference, which in my very large council was always run as a council level course, not because a district couldn't do it, but because it usually took running it on the council level to get a big enough group to make the course workable.

        << I mean these aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send if they can't use it.>>

        No - I couldn't see a unit running these. Many councils may not even have this on their radar yet. I brought it up to our council training committee, and they had not yet thought about offering it.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Cubmaster, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509
        Ham Lake, MN
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        Three Rivers District

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
          Connie,

          I wouldn't tell people at Roundtable about this course until your counsel actually offers it.

          Bill

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Connie Knie wrote:

          > Jamie,
          > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
          >
          > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send if they can't use it.
          >
          > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........
          >
          > Connie
          >
          > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn wrote:
          >

          > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:
          >
          > Fundamentals of Training: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
          >
          > Fillable training cards: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdf This is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU 615012.

        • Joseph Jansen
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
            You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be an
            overview document that explains available trainings and their
            interrelationships.

            Joe Jansen
            On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" <cknie23100@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Jamie,
            > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has
            > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
            >
            > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
            > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
            > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am
            > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send
            > if they can't use it.
            >
            > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........
            >
            > Connie
            >
            > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
            >
            > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:
            >
            > Fundamentals of Training:
            > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
            > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the
            > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
            >
            > Fillable training cards:
            > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThis is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
            > 615012.

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
              see:
              http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-028_WEB.pdf

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Jansen wrote:

              > You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be an
              > overview document that explains available trainings and their
              > interrelationships.
              >
              > Joe Jansen
              > On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Jamie,
              > > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has
              > > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
              > >
              > > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
              > > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
              > > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am
              > > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send
              > > if they can't use it.
              > >
              > > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........
              > >
              > > Connie
              > >
              > > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:
              > >
              > > Fundamentals of Training:
              > > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
              > > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the
              > > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
              > >
              > > Fillable training cards:
              > > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThis is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
              > > 615012.

            • Joseph Jansen
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                Bill,

                That document is helpful but would be more so if it described courses in
                more detail. Perhaps one needs to go to other documents to get abstracts
                on what is covered in each course.

                Joe

                On Saturday, January 12, 2013, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                > see:
                > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-028_WEB.pdf
                >
                > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Jansen wrote:
                >>
                >> You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be
                an
                >> overview document that explains available trainings and their
                >> interrelationships.
                >>
                >> Joe Jansen
                >> On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" wrote:
                >>
                >> > **
                >> >

                >> > Jamie,
                >> > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that
                has
                >> > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
                >> >
                >> > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
                >> > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
                >> > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner
                and am
                >> > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to
                send
                >> > if they can't use it.
                >> >
                >> > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over
                load...........

                >> > Connie
                >> >
                >> > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a
                while:

                >> > Fundamentals of Training:
                >> > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
                >> > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in
                the
                >> > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
                >> >
                >> > Fillable training cards:

                http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThisis
                the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
                >> > 615012.

              • Jamie Niss Dunn
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                  **That document is helpful but would be more so if it described courses in
                  more detail. Perhaps one needs to go to other documents to get abstracts
                  on what is covered in each course.**

                  I think the specific course descriptions were omitted purposely, so that as courses change, the book wouldn't have to be revised each time.

                  The summaries on the training page: http://www.scouting.org/training/adult.aspx are probably as complete descriptions as exist.

                  (For some reason, my quotes of other people's posts aren't alway showing. I changed how I notated the quote. I hope it works)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                    Hi Bill,
                    Yes I agree. That is why I was asking if this was something that is only offered at the District or Council level. Which really seems like a no brainer in retrospect............

                    Connie

                    --- On Sat, 1/12/13, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                    Connie,

                    I wouldn't tell people at Roundtable about this course until your counsel actually offers it.

                    Bill

                  • Mark Ellis
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                      Interesting point...did a word search for "district" or "council" on the
                      document, and didn't find either word so I think those BSA Training folks
                      are leaving it up to the field. I could see an SM using some of this
                      syllabus to train Jr Asst SMs or Troop Instructors on how to improve their
                      training techniques.

                      That being said, my council leadership training committee will be talking
                      about this next week.

                      YiS

                      Mark Ellis
                      Aquia District